Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2005 8:43:29 PM EDT
Does US Marines use only M-16A2 series rifles?
I never seen a Marine with a M4 carbine.
Every pic of Marine in Iraq I've seen seems to be carrying the A2 rifle and recently some flat top versions of it (A4 ?).  Doesn't the Marine use M4 carbines?  
If not, why not?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess cuz Marines are Riflemen, not carbinemen
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no first hand info but the story i heard goes with they were concerned with the lethality of the M4s shorter barrel
it maybe bullshit and if it is im sure someone will correct me
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Last I heard the Marines used the M-16A4.

I'm guessing because they seem trained around engaging at longer distance.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Most units have M16A4's which have a removable carry handle and a knights four rail system.  I thinks it's called an RAS.  Yes it's a 20inch barrel.  The A2's are being retired as the A4's come into the supply system.

We also have M4's depending upon the unit.  In other words we have both.  However we have way more rifles than carbines.

Artillery Bn's have M4's.  Staff and O's have them in mine.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen a few photos of Colt M-4A1s in the hands of officers, usually with a KAC RAS, the KAC vertical handgrip, and a Trijicon TA31F. But allow me to put emphasis on the word FEW.

This explains why they contracted with Trijicon to produce both the TA31F A4 RCO and the TA31F M4 RCO.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Last time I checked, the MEU SOC guys used M4s.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_Recon

Scroll to the bottom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top