Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 8:42:39 PM EDT
my knees have really been killing me lately and my meds arnt helping. i decided it was time to get them replaced. i was thinking if it was better to get them done at the same time but my friends dad said it was better to  get one done heal and then the other one. I think the hips will be in the next year or so, same thing with them?. Im 20years old so these things gotta last along time. any advise would be awsome, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
20YO and the joints are going
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#2]
jesus dude, what the fuck did you do to jack up your knees to that point by the age of 20?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Well my mother in law just went through having one knee replaced.

She told me she was glad not to have both done at the same time.  She said the pain was excrutiating at first, but after about a week or two her knee was feeling much better than before.

Might I ask if you have a bone disease to be replacing your knees at 20 years old?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been thinking about looking into this and I'll be 22 next month I fucked my right knee up real bad about 10 years ago on a dirtbike and it's been nothin but trouble ever since .
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#5]
ya well i got artharitis when i was 18 months.  You couldnt tell anything was wrong with me tell about sophmore year in high school when i got the flu for about 3 months. I was bed ridden the entire time and dropped 20 pounds and looked like a walking death. I got some new meds and i was at the top of my game again by the time i graduated. That was  3 years ago and this last year my knees having been rasing hell with me. I can hardly bend the basterd and it feels like someone stabbing me with a knife everystep. I have a slight limp being that my right knee doesnt like to bend but it has never stopped me from hunting , basketball, football, etc.  My ankles have become totaly fused as have my wrists but they dont bother me. My hips are  also very trashed, no cartlage and all that stuff but they dont cause me pain.  So i figured it was time to start turning myself into a cyborg i guess. I know i'll needs knees and hips, if its possible maybe the wrists and ankles. Sense the knees are the ones killing me i gotta take care of them. I was thinking if i did them both at the sametime i could get it over with in one shot. As for the pain, well if pain is all youve ever known sense you were born it doesnt matter anymore.  thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ya well i got artharitis when i was 18 months.  You couldnt tell anything was wrong with me tell about sophmore year in high school when i got the flu for about 3 months. I was bed ridden the entire time and dropped 20 pounds and looked like a walking death. I got some new meds and i was at the top of my game again by the time i graduated. That was  3 years ago and this last year my knees having been rasing hell with me. I can hardly bend the basterd and it feels like someone stabbing me with a knife everystep. I have a slight limp being that my right knee doesnt like to bend but it has never stopped me from hunting , basketball, football, etc.  My ankles have become totaly fused as have my wrists but they dont bother me. My hips are  also very trashed, no cartlage and all that stuff but they dont cause me pain.  So i figured it was time to start turning myself into a cyborg i guess. I know i'll needs knees and hips, if its possible maybe the wrists and ankles. Sense the knees are the ones killing me i gotta take care of them. I was thinking if i did them both at the sametime i could get it over with in one shot. As for the pain, well if pain is all youve ever known sense you were born it doesnt matter anymore.  thanks for the input.

Wow, I wish you the best of luck. "We can rebuild you, bigger , better and stronger"
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]
20 and bad knees?
My wife has injections of SYNVISC into her knees. It basically replaces the fluid that cushions the knee joint. Give that a shot before surgery
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Damn.  My wife has astocondritisdisecance in the knees.  She tells me how painful it is, but I can't even begin to imagine it.

This is probably best talked with a surgeon.  You being young could probably take having both knees done in one shot.  It might be something like a 6 - 8 hour surgery for both though.

I wish you the best of luck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Good luck finding a ortho that will do a double.  Rehab is a BITCH with one.  Your joints are shot, the tendons have shrunk.  The replacements require these tendons to stretch and you need a good leg to stand on, even if it has bad synovial surfaces.

Get them done one at a time.  Work on your rehab and you might be able to get the other within 3 months.

Get in good health BEFORE you go under.  It hurts, but you need to stretch your leg muscles before surgery.  If overweight, lose some weight.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Be advised that knee replacements only "last" between 15-20 years.  At that  time  you will have to replace the replacements.  It is not too bad in your 60's or 70's but at your age I wouldn't advise it unless a doctor suggests it.  I work in the medical field and it is a common surgery in the elderly (late 50's + age group).

You will also be in physiotherapy for a while afterward.  I have seen the sugery done, lots of metal and plastic drills and hammers.  It looks like the surgeon is building a new deck!  Most of the elderly get one done then the other.

Good luck with the knees.  At your age I am afraid thet they would tell you to just live with it.

DAROGUE1
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
ya i have got the joint injection in my hips and knees sense i was 10. im gonna get them in my knees next week when i see the doc, i just wanna get the new knees and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow man, thats a bum rap.

If you need to be mobile, don't get them both done at the same time. The risk of something bad happening during surgery is going to be just the same if you go twice, or get them both done at once. Two different areas being operated on, and they won't do both at once.

I'm 20 years old and have had 4 surgeries on my left knee. I destroyed it in a hockey game. I have artificial meniscus and fake ligaments.

The only downside I can think of for getting them at staggered times is having to wait longer to start physical therapy, because there is a certain time they have to heal before you can start. Maybe you can just do PT on one knee while the other is healing? It would limit what exercises you could do, but PT is always something to ask your doc about before undertaking surgery.

I've got about 95% mobility and no pain and I can run just as well as I used to, good doctors help a lot.

Don't skate anymore though.

Good luck man, let us know.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#13]
about my getting them at 20, they thought i would have to get them before and at the latest 18.  therapy ya i did that  everyday for 12 years it woudnt be knew to me. I just read in a article about a knew way of doing your knees were they only do a 2 inch cut and dont damage your muscle and your healing time is cut way down. But from what ive read i think one at a time will be the way to go and im sure ill be throwing this around with my doctor. as for being in shape dont think im to bad.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry to here about you predicament, man that sucks.

Man dad had his replaced last year. He had to do one at a time seeing as he has had a history of heart trouble and they didn't want to rish him having a heart attack.

The first one went great, he was up walking around not soon after. The second one however, which he got done a few weeks later gave him alot of trouble. He was in excrutiating pain and his whole knee swole up like a basketball. He eventually got through it and has had no more knee troubles.

Best of luck to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top