Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2005 7:26:58 PM EDT
Has Stargate SG-1 Jumped the Shark?
I taped last week’s episode because I have to work when it is on.  I could not bring myself to watch it to the end.  I quit just when the trial started.  The four counts against her were being read out and commercial starts.  I may not watch Friday night’s episode.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#1]
SG1 Jumped the Shark a while ago.
It's still a great show though, 1,000 times better than any shit on NBCABCCBS.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Three letters:

W T F
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I quit watching after season 2  the production value just keeps going down
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#5]
The show has lost a lot of appeal now that Richard Dean Anderson isn't on it...or at least doesn't play a major part.  I also liked the former General who ran things.  I'm not too impressed with the episodes this season but I'll give it a little bit longer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
what the hell are you talking about?  and shouldn't it be jumpED the shark, past tense?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#7]
This season is sucking hard.

They've been on nearly a decade.

I know they need to introduce new compications to spin plots around, but this had better improve, or be put to sleep.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes. However, I think the lady from Farscape makes the show worth watching.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No, I thought it was actually refreshing now that they dont have to work around RDA's shitty schedule.

Yup.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No, I thought it was actually refreshing now that they dont have to work around RDA's shitty schedule.

What's with his shitty schedule? I thought he was a washed out 80s actor how could he be too busy for tv?

The show was good when he was still on the team.  Something happened when he became a General.  He seemed bored and forced to do the role instead of wanting to do it.

Everyone now seems bored with their characters and pretty much just going through the motions.

Now Atlantis is a good show.  Something about Dr Weir that makes me want to watch
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
what the hell are you talking about?  and shouldn't it be jumpED the shark, past tense?

You're right.

I fixed it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Back in season or 6 (when Danial Jackson was killed off) Anderson wanted out to spend more time with his daughter in LA.

He bumped heads with the studio and he won, that's why a lot of the shows from season 6 on don't have a lot of Anderson.

I applaud the guy for wanting to take care of his family.

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's with his shitty schedule? I thought he was a washed out 80s actor how could he be too busy for tv?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yes. However, I think the lady from Farscape makes the show worth watching.

You mean Claudia Black.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#14]
RDA's been walking around like a zombie & mumbling his lines for the last 2-3 seasons.  He was dragging the show down & that's why they were giving the other characters more time.  I think it's refreshing bringing in a couple of new players, except the new General seems to be pretty stale (one of the Bridges brothers).

SG1 has a breath of fresh air now with the new folks & storylines.

BTW, having Claudia around adds even more to the show. With Amanda coming back & Lexa Doig as the new Doctor, the eye candy is even better.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#15]
How can a spin-off of a mediocre movie be good enough to even jump the shark in the first place?

Yeah, I know........but I can't watch the show. It's A-team in space to me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I applaud the guy for wanting to take care of his family.

I do not applaud the guy for his long life stance of being antigun and bringing his personal politics onto the screen, even during MacGyver.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#17]
SG-1 lost my interest a looooooong time ago and the spin-off series, Atlantis, is just plain awful.

Both series have indeed jumped the shark.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I found it interesting in the latest episode of atlantis that a MUZZLELOADING CANNON could destroy the most advanced spacecraft in the galaxy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#19]
A) It's a fine show.

B) Too many poll options.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a little bumed RDA isn't on the show as much.

Carter should be back from Maturnity leave this next ep.

It's still The best show on TV right now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I was burned out and didn't really watch the last season at all.

The new characters, changes in existing one, the overall chemistry between everyone has breathed new life into the show.  Watching Ben and Claudia just reminds me of how good Farscape was (and how much I miss it ).  Lexa and Beau (didn't see that one coming ) is another plot line that may have some "legs".

I agree that RDA was just a fucking zombie the past couple of years.  Really was bringing the show down.  Ben is able to "channel" a lot of O'Neill (from the early days) and add his own personality to the character as well.

I'm a happy SG-1 viewer again.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#22]
FARSCAPE FOREVER!!!!

oh fuck, nevermind
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:11:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree that RDA was bringing the show down. He looked burnt out.

I'm not too enthusiastic with the new season though. All-powerful religious zombies just doesn't do much for me. I know, with the Gual'd more or less neutralized they needed a new enemy; just the way they are doing it turns me off.

Now can someone explain to this 40-year old what the slang "jump the shark" means?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:18:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
FARSCAPE FOREVER!!!!

oh fuck, nevermind

Muppets In Space, nothing more.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#25]
What did you think this week?

Plot seemed transparent.

Vhalla coming back later in the season.

Better than the rest of this season.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I could never get into that show.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#27]
tonight it sort of came back from shark jumping
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I have to agree.  After a slow start, this season is improving and the Ori are shaping up to worse than the gou'auld.

Redbaron

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#29]
When they made a TV series out of the movie, yes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#30]
It jumped the shark years ago IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm already tired of hearing about "the Ori".  Everytime I click on the SciFi channel I have to hear the word "Ori", it seems.  And that's just because the wife and I are such Battle Star Galactica fans.

Just based on the fact that they have to come up with an entirely new set of super-badguys and raid the only talent on Farscape, yes, they have most assuredly jumped the shark.  

In their leather bomber jacket.  Ayyyyyyyy!

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I agree that RDA was bringing the show down. He looked burnt out.

I'm not too enthusiastic with the new season though. All-powerful religious zombies just doesn't do much for me. I know, with the Gual'd more or less neutralized they needed a new enemy; just the way they are doing it turns me off.

Now can someone explain to this 40-year old what the slang "jump the shark" means?

Aw, cmon...you're the right age to understand that...I'm 38 myself.

When the Fonz jumped the shark (literally) on an episode of Happy Days, it pretty much signaled that the show had run out of ideas.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I'm already tired of hearing about "the Ori".  Everytime I click on the SciFi channel I have to hear the word "Ori", it seems.  And that's just because the wife and I are such Battle Star Galactica fans.

Just based on the fact that they have to come up with an entirely new set of super-badguys and raid the only talent on Farscape, yes, they have most assuredly jumped the shark.  

yeah, wtf is up with that guys leather jacket? geez, do they even issue those still?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1 Tonight managed to keep my interest. Its good when things blow up.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

BTW, having Claudia around adds even more to the show. With Amanda coming back & Lexa Doig as the new Doctor, the eye candy is even better.

+1

But the key to ANY good show - you need the BIG THREAT.   A desparate battle against and unstoppable foe.

Frankly, SG is moving too fast with the Ori.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#36]
the human replicators was a shark jumping moment too
even if they did have Helo from BSG in a non speaking background role
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes, Unfortanatly.   It jumped the shark in 6th season when they got an earth built FTL ship.  That season was 50/50 hit miss.   Most of the 7th season missed the mark.  I haven't seen the 8th season.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#38]

<-----------------------------------

I'm a SG-1 freak. It's the ONLY show a watch next to BSG. Any other time I'm watching the History channel or the Military channel. Some news. Without RDA (Col./B.Gen Jack O'Neill) the show has lost some appeal for me. Having Beb and Claudia on the show is cool and the Orai seem to be interesting bad guys. I cant see the show going past a tenth season but who knows. I would hope SG-1 takes off like Sart Trek did and go to the big screen. Only thing is RDA would need to come back for the movies or elase it will suck big time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Yes, Unfortanatly.   It jumped the shark in 6th season when they got an earth built FTL ship.  That season was 50/50 hit miss.   Most of the 7th season missed the mark.  I haven't seen the 8th season.  

season 8 wasn't too bad, maybe problem I have with it is that the human replicators made a come back for an episode or 2
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, wtf is up with that guys leather jacket? geez, do they even issue those still?

he's a 2 star, I'm sure he has a bit a leeway in what he does on his own base
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
the human replicators was a shark jumping moment too

Negative.  It

a.  was a decent twist on a standard 'evil twin' plot
b.  doubled Carter's screen time.  Two Carters.  Fan service.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#42]
turn on Spike
the movie that started it all, but with a Jack Oneil that isn't played by an antigun bastard
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Three letters:

W T F

let me explain - he saw that phrase in a magazine, and after struggling to come up with a way to use it to impress other people, he settled on a post here at ARFCOM.  The only other issue was to come up with a TV show that probably had passed it's peak, and voila - this post.  So pity the guy, humor him a little, give him a non-committal response, and in a few years he will be out of hight school and ready to get his first AR!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, some things I like about this season are:

1. Daniel Jackson finally has wised up and seems to be carrying the P90 full time now instead of just being stuck with the M9 all the time.

2. Teal'c finally dropped that POS staff weapon in favor of either the P90 or in the latest episode, a Para M249.

It's funny how in the latest episode, Daniel and Carter seemed to be the only two that actually shouldered and aimed when they fired their P90, and only Daniel, Carter and Teal'c kept their fingers off the trigger when walking around. Ben Browder must have fallen asleep during whatever firearm safety the other SG-1 members are instructed through, because he looked like an idiot in that first fire fight.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#45]
SG1 was a great show . With the new characters and enemy , it just sucks. And I really liked Farscape too!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
FARSCAPE FOREVER!!!!

oh fuck, nevermind

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Good movie, terrible TV show. I could watch the movie again now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Whos leather jacket?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Well, some things I like about this season are:

1. Daniel Jackson finally has wised up and seems to be carrying the P90 full time now instead of just being stuck with the M9 all the time.

2. Teal'c finally dropped that POS staff weapon in favor of either the P90 or in the latest episode, a Para M249.

It's funny how in the latest episode, Daniel and Carter seemed to be the only two that actually shouldered and aimed when they fired their P90, and only Daniel, Carter and Teal'c kept their fingers off the trigger when walking around. Ben Browder must have fallen asleep during whatever firearm safety the other SG-1 members are instructed through, because he looked like an idiot in that first fire fight.

Christopher Judge is a big enough guy that he uses the P90 like a pistol
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#50]
I just have to add I hated farscape there I feel better
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top