Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 7:15:03 PM EDT
Ok my girlfriend thinks I am a bastard for laughing at this but my whole English class cracked up when this announcement came on (this happened about 2 years ago, we were talking about it today).

They were making various announcements, and one of them was "The MS walk has been cancelled due to a lack of support."

In case you don't get the joke, I wasn't laughing because no one cared enough, but rather because of the way it was phrased (support). Oh, we weren't going out at the time, but her mom has MS which is why she is touchy about it. But she would have frowned upon it either way I'm sure.

So would you have laughed?

and...

Am I a bastard for laughing?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
No, the play on words was funny. It's not like you pushed an ms kid down or something.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok my girlfriend thinks I am a bastard for laughing at this but my whole English class cracked up when this announcement came on (this happened about 2 years ago, we were talking about it today).

They were making various announcements, and one of them was "The MS walk has been cancelled due to a lack of support."

In case you don't get the joke, I wasn't laughing because no one cared enough, but rather because of the way it was phrased (support). Oh, we weren't going out at the time, but her mom has MS which is why she is touchy about it. But she would have frowned upon it either way I'm sure.

So would you have laughed?

and...

I would have laughed too.

Quite a few years ago I was driving by a school for the deaf.  They were setting up for some festival, and testing the PA system.

A PA system at a school for the deaf?

I still laugh about that...and it was about 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL, I would have laughed too.

No I dont think you're an asshole. Some people gotta lighten up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Half a smile at best.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I would have laughed.  I believe you can laugh at anything.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, most definitely funny
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#8]
But, would you laugh if you had a close friend or new someone with MS?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Lighten up Francis.

They dont want you feeling sorry for them. I just treat them like everyone else I laugh at.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I generally find irony funny. i would've laughed too. Out loud at that, while pointing it out to others.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lighten up Francis.

They dont want you feeling sorry for them. I just treat them like everyone else I laugh at.

That's my theory on that, I should probably treat them like I do anyone else. But, on the other hand, I probably wouldn't have found if funny if my best friend had MS or something. Then again, if he did I probably would have been in the walk and disappointed that it was cancelled.

Oh, and Wolfpack, I did completely lose it for a minute or two.

ETA: Some people out there are out for sympathy though, it's odd. There's this guy that comes into my work that has some sort of disability (I don't know what). He uses those arm crutch things that have a rotating cuff to walk. He's always going for sympathy, I think it's kind of annoying, but I guess me thinking it's annoying isn't nearly as bad as him not having functional legs. Everyone sort of laughs when he does it and hopes he's joking. He's kind of an oddball so he might very well be.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lighten up Francis.

That's my theory on that, I should probably treat them like I do anyone else. But, on the other hand, I probably wouldn't have found if funny if my best friend had MS or something. Then again, if he did I probably would have been in the walk and disappointed that it was cancelled.

Oh, and Wolfpack, I did completely lose it for a minute or two.

No Im not passing judgment just asking a question. If you think you might not see the humor in it knowing someone personally with MS then you could understand why some people think its kinda morbid to laugh at. Thats all.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I see the humor, & would have laughed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Fortunately, the vast majority of my patients with MS walk/talk/go to work and no one knows unless they tell them.  There is a huge misconception that MS makes 99% of people cripples in wheelchairs with absolutely no quality of life.   And, yes, I do go to nursing homes so my population of MS patients is not skewed by only those who can make it to my office.  

Maybe the announcer should have phrased it differently and then there wouldn't have been a reason to find dark humor in it?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fortunately, the vast majority of my patients with MS walk/talk/go to work and no one knows unless they tell them.  There is a huge misconception that MS makes 99% of people cripples in wheelchairs with absolutely no quality of life.   And, yes, I do go to nursing homes so my population of MS patients is not skewed by only those who can make it to my office.  

Maybe the announcer should have phrased it differently and then there wouldn't have been a reason to find dark humor in it?

Yeah, they probably should have. But at the same time, the people who do our announcements (students) are invariably idiots (usually airhead blondes).

But my girlfriend's mom has MS, like I said, and I always forget she does because she's a very normal functioning person. Actually the only medical problem I ever notice she has is that she bleeds a lot (she's on blood thinners for her heart because it was messed up by an MS drug she was in a testing group for).
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know alot about MS but if I remember correctly a local arfcommer Ive shot with before has it. Id never know they had it unless I was told.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I would have laughed...but then again I'm an asshole...there fore you are an asshole.

Course...I've done some really low things...worse than that.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I would not of laughed because it would of gone over my head.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a buddy with MS,  we fly RC combat gliders ( think nerf RC ).   We try and hit him with the planes all the time cause he can't move very fast.

HE thinks it's funny as hell.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I always laugh at shit like that.

What do you call a swimming pool full of paraplegics?
Vegetable soup!  

People get their feelings hurt all the time about it, but the way I see it, if you don't laugh you'll go crazy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#22]
One of my friends in high school was blind. He had an awesome sense of humor.

One time he went to IHOP and it took nearly thirty minutes for someone to take his order. He commented to the waittress, "Every time I come in here you guys take your own sweet time taking my order. It's because I'm black, isn't it."

Too bad he couldn't see the look on the waitresses face while she tried to explain that he wasn't black. When she finally just blurted out "you're not black!" he told her she'd better be able to prove it to him. She started stuttering again and a big ol' homie in the booth behind him turned around, put his arm around my friend, and said, "Girl, you best get this brutha some pancakes!"

That made my day.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So would you have laughed

and...

I would have laughed too.

Quite a few years ago I was driving by a school for the deaf.  They were setting up for some festival, and testing the PA system.

A PA system at a school for the deaf?

I still laugh about that...and it was about 10 years ago.

Well laugh all you want, Actually pa system is for HEARING PEOPLE  that dont use sign langauages...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:35:28 AM EDT
[#24]
It's almost as funny as the SIGN out front at the Lighthouse for the Blind.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes I would have lauged my ass off.  I dont know you so Im gonna guess youre an asshole also .  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I would have laughed .humor is humor. No need to get feathers ruffled .

oh yeah -Im an asshole too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Hell, I laughed when the school announced that the Challenger blew up......

So ya, I would have laughed at that too....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Need Another Seven Astronauts
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you for offering multiple choices.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Need Another Seven Astronauts

Why do NASA controllers drink Pepsi?          Because they can't get 7 up......

What does USA stand for on the side of the Challenger?    Under Sea Adventures...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Yeah, I would chuckle.  If anyone gave me grief over it, I would ask them if they had a problem with able-bodied people flaunting their ability to walk as a show of "support" for those that can't.  Heck, I think MS Walk is ironic.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#32]
"V.D. is nothing to Clap about."
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I would've laughed, and then when I saw I was the only one laughing, said "Sorry" and tried to suppress my laughter.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#34]
not all that funny. But , letting your 70% blind friend swing a golf club at dandelions instead of his yellow ball, thats a hoot. (he took it well, and we are still friends)
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#36]
That's right up there with the sign on the door at Burger King that says

"Picture menus for the illiterate available upon request."
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#37]
What really would have been funny, is if you imitated her mom walking, or wheel chairing.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
What really would have been funny, is if you imitated her mom walking, or wheel chairing.

Her mom doesn't show any symptoms...but I'd go to hell for that one.

ETA that she'd be the one to kill me, too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:02:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:03:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Your a sick puppy!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:18:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your a sick puppy!  

My science teacher was apalled when I told her I didn't really care about the Challenger or Columbia or whatever one it was like 3 years ago or so.

A lot more than 7 people die each day. 7 is pretty insignificant, it's all about media coverage.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your a sick puppy!  

My science teacher was apalled when I told her I didn't really care about the Challenger or Columbia or whatever one it was like 3 years ago or so.

A lot more than 7 people die each day. 7 is pretty insignificant, it's all about media coverage.

When the Challenger blew up, I was in math, and Mr. Covington was my teacher. When they announced it, I just started laughing, as did a few others, and he went on this rant about how kids have no respect.

I told him that it was funny that the first teacher on a NASA mission jinxed it.

BTW, what were Christa McAuliffe last words to her husband?   You feed the dog, I'll feed the fish....

Did you know that Christa McAuliffe had blue eyes?   Sure did...One blew this way and one blew that way....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top