Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2001 11:50:57 AM EDT
I've been noticing a lot of what looks like stop light cameras going up on intersections.  As a matter of fact they're putting up a bunch of new stop lights on Elmendorf AFB in Alaska and everyone of them has the cameras.  I'm not into all this "enemy of the state" shit but damn...  Is big brother watching us or what?  Has anybody ever seen or known of anyone that has seen one of these cameras go off?  
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I was in Anchorage about two years ago and staying with the former city chief.  He was telling about the new speed cameras that had been installed around town.  I realized that, that was what all the flashes I kept seeing while running around in my rental car.  A month after returning home I got a call from Avis telling me I needed to do something about the 16 speeding tickets that had racked up on the car.  I laughed at them.    
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a bunch here in northern VA also.  It is defiantly big brother.  They have no proof you were the one driving and no officer to witness, they just send you the ticket in the mail.  As if that was not making enough money they are now shortening the yellow light time.  Then you have people slamming on the breaks to keep from going through the yellow light and you have accidents.  Great solution, A-holes.

O, in addition, I have seen one go off.  You will know if it went off as it has a big flash, at least from dusk on.

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you could fight a ticket if you got it like that.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Be careful, some of the "cameras" are really just replacements for the car detection loops that they used to put under the pavement.  If it has a flash, it's a stoplight camera and it is watching you (especially if you run a red light).  If it is just what looks like a camera,  and it is mounted up where the lights are, it's just for signalling (so I'm told, anyways).
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 2:41:38 AM EDT
[#6]
That guy who went beserk in the tank in San Diego should've taken out that camera crap instead.

Funny as it doesn't require the physical presence of a LEO to get you a ticket.

So the camera took an oath to protect and serve?

What bullshit!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:13:08 AM EDT
[#7]
A subsonic .22 will take care of this problem.  

You all are going to fight to the death if they try to take your guns away, but you won't pop a few cameras?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:17:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd like to see someone hit the screen with some paintballs.  Some type of permanent paint.

Or, look into something like this [url]www.radarbusters.com/stealth.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 4:20:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Georgia just passed a law allowing the use of unmanned cameras to monitor traffic and serve as the basis for tickets.  Effective July 1, 2001.  Although most traffic offences are misdemeanors in Georgia unless the municipality has passed a local/city/county ordinance creating a traffic control bureau, this specific law reads only civil remedies.  Thus the ticket you get is a fine only and is not a conviction on your record, so there is no 6th amendment confrontation clause issue.  

http://www.ganet.org/services/newleg/legsearch.cgi?year=2001&bill=HB678  
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmm.  Well, here are things I've heard.  Take it as hear-say, and do with it what you please.  But, break no laws in the process.  

Oh, and I don't know if they work or not.

1.  Got a pickup truck?  Leave the tailgate DOWN.  Not only does it help with gas mileage, but it covers your plate.

2.  Mud on plates does wonders.

3.  Get one of those funny plate covers if it's legal in your area.

4.  "3" can become "8" really easily...

5.  "1" can become "L" pretty easily, too.

Good luck!

Mike

PS.  Obvious solution- DON'T RUN LIGHTS!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#11]
In NYC, "YOU" aren't ticketed. Your car is ticketed. If you blow a light in NYC, you are sent a "Notice of Liability." It's not an accusatory instrument saying YOU ran a light, it's notifying you that an automobile registered to you is being operated in an unsafe manner and you are liable for it. It's not a moving violation that goes on your license. It only means that they want money from the owner of the auto.

A good end run!

Deeeeks!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Whats to stop them from sending out tickets willy-nilly?  I mean we all know that this is jsut a revenue raising scheme, and these are the most unscroupulous bastards this side of hyenias.  Send out tickets to everybody registered in a certain area, most will pay.

Kill the cameras, failing that, start on the politicians.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top