Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/17/2005 12:48:01 PM EDT
Fire them all, prosecute them for petty theft and demote the shift supervisor for not supervising his troops or provideing for their welfare.

California Police, on Camera, Help Selves to Drinks

RICHMOND, Calif. (AP) -- It's a case, police say, where some officers apparently got caught with their hands in a cookie store.

A security camera showed at least six Richmond police officers pouring cold beverages behind the counter of a closed cookie shop while searching for a gunman at a mall, the Contra Costa Times reported, citing unidentified police sources.

The management of the Mrs. Fields Original Cookies store at Hilltop Mall reported the incident after a security camera captured officers on July 15 helping themselves to icy beverages from dispensers, the newspaper said.

A police spokesman declined to comment Tuesday to The Associated Press. Acting Police Chief Terry Hudson told the paper Monday that he can't comment other than to say the police investigation remains unresolved.

Dozens of officers from Richmond, the California Highway Patrol and the Contra Costa Sheriff's Office searched the mall for hours that night after a security guard surprised two masked burglars trying to open a jewelry store's security gate. One of the burglars fired a handgun, and then the burglars and guard ran in opposite directions. Nobody was injured, and no suspects or weapons were found.

''This was not just a group of officers out on a frolic,'' said Mary Sansen, a lawyer representing the officers on behalf of the Richmond Police Officers Association. ''A couple of them were (dehydrated) to the point of desperation.''

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
next time Mrs. Field's gives 'em a call...they don't go.

WTF?  It's not like they ate the cookies too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
they were probably thirsty as fuck I really think this owner is a cocksucker for turning them in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
they were probably thirsty as fuck I really think this owner is a cocksucker for turning them in.

You've got to be kidding....

right?

ETA that theft is theft. Period. I have had many chances to take lots of valuable stuff. I don't do it. Boo fucking hoo if they were thirsty.

Do ya' think that the mall had a drinking fountain?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
They shouldn't have done it.

But I bet the cookie manager doesn't like cops.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like the cop defenders won this race.

Where are you cop bashers?  

Edit: 30 seconds.  jeez.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
they were probably thirsty as fuck...

It was the responsibility of the shift supervisor to make sure his people were not getting dangerously dehydrated and to make sure water was available.  If necessary you call EMS and have the fire department bring by bottled water or IV's, but you dont steal from the food court.

In my area cops and firefighters insult eachother constantly. But i know if i called the fire department, even inthe middle of the night, and told them the cops had been searching the mall for hours and needed some water the FD would be there in minutes with water, soda, coffee, snacks and whatever else they could scrounge.  We would do the same for them on a long call out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What does that have to do with anything?  Just because youre a cop doesnt make it anyless wrong when you steal from someone.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Still not done, very unprofessional.

I wonder if the owner get's upset when the cleaning crew and night security guards do the same thing?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Gimme a liter of cola.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I admit the guy is kind of an ass for turning them in but stealing is stealing.

Is it that hard for the officers to find a drinking fountain.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't think they should be fired. Repremanded, written up or suspension. And if you do something like that at least leave some money behind.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I go to this mall. There is a drinking fountain within 200 feet of that store.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
What they did was wrong, plain and simple.  Do they deserve to get fired for it?  Hardly, but disciplinary action should be taken.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Cops and firefighters are held to a higher standard.

I think some remediation is in order. At a minimum.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]
they should be banned
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
they should be banned

From Arfcom?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
 Do they deserve to get fired for it?  Hardly, but disciplinary action should be taken.  

On duty theft!?  Hell yes they should be fired.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#18]
One of the burglars fired a handgun, and then the burglars and guard ran in opposite directions.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
they should be banned

From Arfcom?

nope, just in general.  j/k

fountain drinks run about 4cents per 20 ounces (inc. cup from sysco food services)

I understand it's a matter of principle, but this is a bit ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#20]
SO, if they wear a badge, they can steal drinks from a buisness, an it's okay?

BS.

Every mall in america has water fountains. Carry your lazy ass over to the water fountain and get a drink.

BTW, if the cops were SO DEHYDRATED WTF WERE THEY DRINKING SODA?
are they too stupid to know that soda doesn't hydrate you?

Idiots.....

And yes, they should all be fired for theft, or arreested and brought to court.

But then again, they are probably so used to 'perks' like free coffee and what not that they were just running on autopilot.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#21]
All this would have been avoided if these cops had the integrity to put a buck or two on the counter as they left.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Funny thing is when those same officers stop by during the shift, the manager of the place won't let them pay for the Pepsi...

Maybe they pushed the water only button...

Yeah, I still don't agree with it, it's just a bad display of poor ethics.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Looks like the cop defenders won this race.

Where are you cop bashers?  

Edit: 30 seconds.  jeez.

They're thirsty.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
All this would have been avoided if these cops had the integrity to put a buck or two on the counter as they left.

but they have a badge so in there mind it's ok
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Do they deserve to get fired for it?  Hardly, but disciplinary action should be taken.  

+1.

Ask yourself, did they do anyhting wrong?

Yes.

What did they do wrong?

They stole.  Theft.  On duty.

This isn't the same as paper clips, that wasn't theirs or their employers.

Theft on duty=termination.  It only sounds harsh when you split hairs and whine "it was only soda."

What if they found some bags of bank money and only took the nickles?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I wouldn't either after seeing that they're disrespectful thiefs
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Hamburgers cost next to nothing to per unit too so if I help myself to one when I'm hungry that's no big deal right?  I'm sure there is some metal in the gunstore that didn't cost much to produce.  Should I need one one real quick, nothing will or should happen to me huh?

The mall had running water I'm sure.  Perhaps a visit to the damn drinking fountain like the rest of us do when we can't buy snacks and drinks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Firing cops over a couple of cents of soda?

It is the taxpayer that will pay the highest price to train replacements.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Maybe the next batch will have a bit more sense?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Ask em for the money for the drinks they took (if he even really gave a shit) and be done with it. Sheesh...

Drama queens.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I got the ass beating of a lifetime at about 5 or 6 for stealing a gumball from my Grandma's hometown store.  Made to to walk back in with my ass burning and tears on my face to appologise to the owner for "being a thief" and breaking the trust he had given my grandma and my parents over the years.  Stuck with me pretty good.  I guess that would be to much to expect for grown men though.  

Just a few cents of soda afterall... help yourselves.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not saying it's the morally correct thing to do, but how many times have you exceeded the speeding limit?  Rolled through a stop sign?  Fudged on your tax return?  Not worn your seatbelt?  Jaywalked?  

Trust me, none of us are faultless.  A simpel reprimand with monetary compensation will do.  No need to crucify the police officers...and it certainly isn't worthy of a newspaper.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I'm not saying it's the morally correct thing to do, but how many times have you exceeded the speeding limit?  Rolled through a stop sign?  Fudged on your tax return?  Not worn your seatbelt?  Jaywalked?  

Trust me, none of us are faultless.  A simpel reprimand with monetary compensation will do.  No need to crucify the police officers...and it certainly isn't worthy of a newspaper.

I've done alot of things.  Stealing on the job isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'm sorry, I disagree.  They had no right, none what-so-ever, to walk into a business and help themselves to the refreshments there.  That is a different issue altogether than jaywalking and the ethics behind it suggest a basic lack of respect for others property.  That has no place in a position of public trust.  

I have no sympathy for thirsty people who stole soft drinks rather than drink the water in a public fountain.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry, I disagree.  They had no right, none what-so-ever, to walk into a business and help themselves to the refreshments there.  That is a different issue altogether than jaywalking and the ethics behind it suggest a basic lack of respect for others property.  That has no place in a position of public trust.  

I have no sympathy for thirsty people who stole soft drinks rather than drink the water in a public fountain.  

So you'd terminate their respective employment without discretion?

Quite the hardass aren't you?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Ask yourself, did they do anyhting wrong?

Yes.

What did they do wrong?

They stole.  Theft.  On duty.

This isn't the same as paper clips, that wasn't theirs or their employers.

True, paperclips from your employer is embezzelment and should be prosecuted too. I hate all types of theives.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#37]
What it boils down to, is does the victim (cookie store) want to pursue a criminal theft complaint against the officers for taking the drinks. No complaint, no prosecution, no conviction. It'd be a misdemeanor anyway, if that. Should the officers be fired for it? No. But the department needs to impose at least some level of discipline/punishment - a written reprimand, suspension day(s) or demotion, or combination of them based on each officer's past record of behavior. Many more officers across the country have done much more serious things and retained their jobs. You just don't hear about them.

Sounds like the department has more problems than this. Their own officers are diming each other out to the media. Either the six guys involved are hated by the rest who finally had enough and wanted to get the word out to the media, or the tipster is someone who has to find something on everyone. I forecast a witch hunt will soon happen there.

the Contra Costa Times reported, citing unidentified police sources.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
It was the responsibility of the shift supervisor to make sure his people were not getting dangerously dehydrated and to make sure water was available.  If necessary you call EMS and have the fire department bring by bottled water or IV's, but you dont steal from the food court.

In my area cops and firefighters insult eachother constantly. But i know if i called the fire department, even inthe middle of the night, and told them the cops had been searching the mall for hours and needed some water the FD would be there in minutes with water, soda, coffee, snacks and whatever else they could scrounge.  We would do the same for them on a long call out.

Even though you joke about being a JBT my opinion of you went up a few notches as a result of reading this post from you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I don't think they should be fired. Repremanded, written up or suspension. And if you do something like that at least leave some money behind.

+1

Firing may be slightly heavy-handed, but as a rule I generally think those who enforce the law should be held to a higher standard.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess so.  

I'm not fond of folks that use a position of elevated access and trust to play sticky fingers.  I highly doubt that people with judgement that poor have not done something else that just wasn't caught on camera.  To use a favorite line of those on the force I know
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#41]
They should be charged and prosecuted exactly the same as any shoplifter would be. Whether they are fired or not is irrelevant, however in the least, they should suffer the judicial system exactly like a civilian would have to for the same offense. And yes, a normal civilian would be charged with theft or shoplifting for the same offense.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
They should be charged and prosecuted exactly the same as any shoplifter would be. Whether they are fired or not is irrelevant, however in the least, they should suffer the judicial system exactly like a civilian would have to for the same offense. And yes, a normal civilian would be charged with theft or shoplifting for the same offense.

I would expect anyone arrested under simular circumstances would likely get a "refuse to prosecute/interest of justice...lacks jury appeal" from the DA. Kinda like if the illegal who mows your lawn takes a drink from your garden hose.  He's technically guilty of theft, but no way the DA will file.

Firing is the only significant punishment that has any realistic chance of happening.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Theft is theft. I see nowhere in the law where the LEOs can steal.

Maybe they were just commandeering the beverages for Official State Business?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stealing on the job is a pretty serious thing.  A guy who will think nothing of stealing a coke, may think nothing of "embellishing" or "adding" details to a police report.

If there were no other options, AND they notified the store owner ASAP to offer payment, then I say they are good guys.  It takes a cheap person to stoop so low as to steal something worth less than a buck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I go to this mall. There is a drinking fountain within 200 feet of that store.

I know people who live near Hilltop but drive to Sunvalley Mall just to avoid it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Verbal reprimand with NO record of it-period.  

I can't believe someone was stupid enough to turn them in....

HH
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#48]
This is in RICHMOND.  A thousand things far worse than that are going on every minute there, and they're wasting their time on this petty bullshit?!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Gimme a liter of cola.

www.cchem.berkeley.edu/chem120a_nhy/rod%20farva.jpg

Just order a large, Farva.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Holy crap.  Look out an LEO farted...somebody get a rope
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top