Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2005 12:35:19 PM EDT
Might have to make some phone calls on this...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166018,00.html

Texas Marine Told He's No Resident, Must Pay Higher Tuition
Wednesday, August 17, 2005

AUSTIN, Texas — A decorated Marine (search) enrolling in college was shocked to learn his Texas driver's license, car registration and bank records weren't enough to get the lower resident tuition rates.

Carl Basham (search) said officials at Austin Community College recently told him that he lost his Texas resident's status because of the years he spent out of state on two tours of duty in Iraq.

Not having the in-state designation would mean paying around $2600 a semester in tuition, instead of about $500.

The school's response surprised the 27-year-old Beeville native, who is registered to vote in Travis County, has a Texas driver's license and does his banking in Austin (search).

Officials at the college said that Basham didn't meet state requirements as determined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. A school spokeswoman says privacy laws prevent prevented her from commenting on his case.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#1]
This shit cannot stand. We've GOT to purge the fucking Politically Correct / LLLiberal bureaucrats from their nests in Academia and government.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
that's right give it to the mexicans.  Our free trade agreement with mexico is one of the many reasons the dollar is getting finger-banged by the euro at the moment.

Someone should help this kid go to school.  OUR GOVERNMENT!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
That's absurd.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I just left academia, but had I stayed I would have pushed for "ALL Veterans get in-state tuition WHERE-EVER-THE-HELL-THEY-WANT-TO-GO-TO-SCHOOL"
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.austincc.edu/pres/

President:  Steve Kinslow, Ph.D. [email protected]
   Presidential Assistant: Pam Sutton, (512) 223-7598, (512) 223-7185 (Fax) [email protected]

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Same bullshit here in the PRK.

If you're an "undocumented immigrant" ILLEGAL FUCKING INVADER you pay less than a LEGAL CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I said it the other day....time to start seeing liberals swinging from lamp posts.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
http://www.austincc.edu/pres/

President:  Steve Kinslow, Ph.D.
   Presidential Assistant: Pam Sutton, (512) 223-7598, (512) 223-7185 (Fax)

Calling in T-10.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Board of Trustees

Cut their funding and don't hire their graduates.

wtf is wrong with Austin anyway?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#10]
So I read on a local website that this likely won't amount to much.  More a case of
some low paid flunky reading the rules and not smart enough to go to a supervisor
for clarification than any kind of conspiracy.

I think you'll see this one be fixed in pretty short order.  

That's the kind of decision making you get for $5 an hour......

All he got was a standard form letter from the school.  Word is it will be taken
care of shortly.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Email them too and copy and paste the story from above...

Any message sent to [email protected] will be forwarded immediately to all ACC trustees
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just left academia, but had I stayed I would have pushed for "ALL Veterans get in-state tuition WHERE-EVER-THE-HELL-THEY-WANT-TO-GO-TO-SCHOOL"

Yeah.  Excellent idea.

And why are illegals getting instate tuition?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#14]
In many states, military service means you keep your state residency unless you specifically declare residency in another state.  My first active duty station was Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, but I kept my Michigan residency then and even while I spent 4 years in Germany.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#15]
This has been going on for years. Many states grant illegals in state tuition.

Edited to add:

It was originally supposed to allow the children of illegals who had went through the public school system to go to college in the area they lived in. Feel gooders felt it was the right thing to do, since they were residents of that state.

Like everything else it has been expanded to every illegal.

Liberal 'giving away the far' puke maggots can't seem to understand that illegals shouldn't be rewarded with out tax money.

But when did it ever bother a feel good liberal to give away other people's money.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I am more shocked that there are people who still think the general pool of U.S. Politicians represent  American interest. Don't be surprised ... get mad at the scum that allow this in our name!

A better question is: "What is an American?"

1. Any foreigner who crosses the border?
2. Any foreigner who gets dual citizenship? (Can someone really be a citizen of two countries?)
3. Anyone born in the U.S. but puts Hispanic, African, whatever... in front of their country of birth. (America/n)

On a side note: I got my Driver Lic. renewal today... You know in my state anyone can register to vote when getting a drivers lic. Hint.. These politicians know exactly what they are doing... when they want to give Drivers Lic. out like candy.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This shit cannot stand. We've GOT to purge the fucking Politically Correct / LLLiberal bureaucrats from their nests in Academia and government.

Well. You are in Cali.  Why don't you start there.  

I agree with you, wholeheartedly.  But I want to know how.  How can we do it?  Without the use of force on a national grassroots level.  I don't know how.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Email sent...

Dear Board of Trustees:

I recently read a disappointing story on FoxNews.com regarding Austin Community College.  Carl Basham, a highly decorated marine is being denied in-state tuition even though he is a resident of the Great State of Texas.  Along with proudly serving his country, Carl has demonstrated maturity and wisdom by enrolling in your college.  

Colleges and universities around the United States are promoting an agenda aiming for in-state tuition for ILLEGAL ALIENS.  Because of its location, your college is on the front line of this issue.  It is ironic and incomprehensible that at the same time a Patriotic American who severed this country heroically will be denied this privilege.  

To tell you the truth, I think your college could learn a lot from Carl.  Therefore, I urge you to reconsider the decision.  Please see the URL and story below for the facts as I know them.

Sincerely,
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Your home of record is where your 'residence' is considered.  My brother just got out last year and was stationed in Pendleton for 4 years.  He came back and went right to school.  Something else sounds fishy here   I know for a fact that your home of record is what they look for in situations like this.  Geeze its not like he moved to Iraq on his own accord

STLRN should be able to give us some insight
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So I read on a local website that this likely won't amount to much.  More a case of
some low paid flunky reading the rules and not smart enough to go to a supervisor
for clarification than any kind of conspiracy.

I think you'll see this one be fixed in pretty short order.  

That's the kind of decision making you get for $5 an hour......

All he got was a standard form letter from the school.  Word is it will be taken
care of shortly.

Ditto.

You think the ones with PhDs are idiots?  That nothing compared to the actual tards hired to work registration, accounting, etc.  95% of them couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the bottom.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#22]
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/12403480.htm

College tells veteran he is not a Texan

By Jay Root

Star-Telegram Austin Bureau

AUSTIN - Carl Basham was born in Beeville, registered to vote in Travis County in 1998, holds a Texas driver's license and does his banking in Austin.

So he was shocked when Austin Community College told him a few weeks ago that he didn't qualify as a Texas resident "for tuition purposes." Basham, a former Marine corporal, said he was even more shocked when officials told him why: After two tours of duty in Iraq, he's been out of the state too long to qualify.

"They told me that I have to physically live in the state of Texas for at least a year," Basham said in an interview Tuesday. "It kind of hurts." Austin Community College officials were unable to specify why Basham isn't considered a Texas resident, only that he didn't meet state requirements as determined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. A spokeswoman said privacy laws prevent a discussion of Basham's case.

An official at another college said the fact that he entered the military in another state nearly a decade ago, despite his deep Texas ties, might be the reason.

Either way, two state officials said bureaucratic technicalities should not prevent the decorated veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom from being considered a Texas resident -- and paying about $500 a semester in tuition instead of around $2,600.

"Mr. Basham has gone to war for us, and I intend to go to war for him!" said state Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn, in a letter to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. "We owe it to our returning service men and women to make it as easy and uncomplicated as possible for them to resume their normal lives."

Likewise, state Rep. Suzanna Hupp, R-Lampasas, who represents many veterans serving at Fort Hood, said she wants to investigate the matter.

"I think we need to look into it further. It doesn't make sense that people who have bullets flying over their head aren't treated properly when they get back," she said.

The higher education board is investigating the case, an official there said.

Basham, 27, said he has to come up with about $3,000 now to pay for tuition and books as he works toward a degree in emergency medical care. Although he expects to get his college paid for eventually by the federal government, he said those GI benefits won't kick in for several more months, so he's stuck with high out-of-pocket expenses for now.

Basham's wife, Jolie, said an admissions officer at the college kept asking for documents proving his Texas residency. He brought in his driver's license, car registration papers, voter registration card, bank records and tax returns -- all sporting a Texas address.

"She said, 'It's really your military service that's holding you back.' I couldn't believe that those words came out of her mouth," Jolie Basham, a California native, recalled.

She said it stung her husband badly to be told he was not a Texan.

"He's always Texas this and Texas that," she said. "It's always been his home."

Jolie Basham remembered her husband's reaction when he got his car stolen last year while they were stationed in California at Camp Pendleton.

She said the Texas plates had been removed and mangled, but Cpl. Basham refused to replace them.

"He sat there and hammered 'em out and screwed them back on his car," she said. "He refused to get California plates."

Basham, the son of an air traffic controller who often was tranferred around Texas as he moved up the career ladder, lived most of his youth in Waco. During his junior year, he followed his parents to Monroe, La., where he graduated from high school.

It is there that he enlisted in the Marine Corps. Over two enlistments and eight years of service, Basham was awarded a Combat Action Ribbon, a Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and other decorations. He served as a driver and an auto mechanic in two tours of duty in Iraq, each lasting seven months, he said.

Basham was honorably discharged from the Marines on Jan. 31. He said he got to Texas as fast as he could, but he had to stay in California until his wife, who had pregnancy complications, gave birth in May.

The Texas Legislature has generally gone out of its way to ensure military veterans pay the lowest possible tuition. But it's not a perfect system, and some veterans end up falling through the bureaucratic cracks.

Donna Darovich, spokeswoman for the Tarrant County College District, said the big problem is that Basham entered the service in Louisiana, even though he only lived 1 1/2 years there.

"It basically doesn't matter if you've lived here all your life," she said. "Where you enlist is what kind of sets the stage for residency."

Ray Grasshoff, a spokesman for the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, could not say how many returning service members face the problem Basham has encountered. But he said officials were looking into his case now.

"Our staff is trying to talk to the ACC staff and trying to figure out what can be done if anything to resolve the issue," Grasshoff said. "We, of course, support veterans and all they do for the country and want to make sure they get all the benefits they're entitled to."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/1688241.html

State Has Responsibility To Immigrants, Strayhorn Says

Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn, who’s challenging Gov. Rick Perry in the 2006 GOP primary, says she thinks the state has a responsibility to provide educations and health care to immigrants once they’re in the state, legally or not.

Strayhorn made the comments Wednesday to a conservative GOP group, the Greater Houston Pachyderm Club.

Strayhorn also noted that federal law requires states to provide education and health care to immigrants.

A spokesman for Perry says the governor has and will continue to remind the federal government that border security is a federal issue, not a state issue.

She does good on one hand then shits in the other don't she?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#23]
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE F(*&!$! KIDDING ME!

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a feeling a quick call from a JAG officer, threatening the entire weight of the Federal Legal Network to fall down upon the college will gain a quick re-evaluation.

Usually works, at any rate.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like his home of record was LA at enlistment.  He changed it to Texas at some point after that but never actually lived there. He was discharged in California, remaining there, then moving later to Texas.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#26]
My email consisted of this:

Unbelievable! Either you are unaware of this problem, or too stupid to know better. Either way my children will never attend your establishment of lower learning.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I think we have the same BS situation in California.

Everything appears to be based on the year prior to the beginning of instruction.

However, AFAIK, no CA resident away on duty has actually been denied the resident rate when they returned.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Sounds like his home of record was LA at enlistment.  He changed it to Texas at some point after that but never actually lived there. He was discharged in California, remaining there, then moving later to Texas.

It states he is a registered voter in the state of Texas. I would imagine if he was registered before applying to the college, that would mean he IS a resident of Texas. Am I correct in this thinking?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It states he is a registered voter in the state of Texas. I would imagine if he was registered before applying to the college, that would mean he IS a resident of Texas. Am I correct in this thinking?

It appears Texas residency actually requires living in the state.  a post office box or mail drop doesnt make you a resident.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
In Texas?

That ain't right. What are the state requirements?

Similar to here. He's my old JC from back in the day.

www.dvc.edu/admissions/residency.htm
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Couldnt agree more.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I know a lot of guys I served with caught on to the no state tax in Texas, I think their stupid rule might stem from that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Would this type of discrimination against a war veteran be a violation of the Soldier's and Sailor's Relief Act of 1940/1941? A VietNam vet.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Everything is getting out of control.  This site is a good hub for relatively like minded folks.  We should start something.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#36]
e-mail sent.

hope it all works out.  Bureaucrats -
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#37]
How is ACC Funded?

Austin Community College has three major sources of revenue: state, student tuition, and local property taxpayers. As state funding has decreased over the years, as shown below, local taxpayers and students have assumed a greater percentage of the college's funding formula.

Source FY04
State reimbursement 31.8%
Local Property tax 29.7%
Tuition 36.3%

Maybe they can help
Veterans Affairs Manager: Mark Harden
VA Administrative Assistant: Vicki Sanders
512/223-7574; Fax: 512/223-7963

Questions? Contact us at [email protected]

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I know a lot of guys I served with caught on to the no state tax in Texas, I think their stupid rule might stem from that.

+1; I did the same thing when I was at Goodfellow AFB-got the idea from Papa Bush.

Of course the real geniuses got themselves Alaska residency so they could get dividend checks while they were in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I heard Michael Savage tonight say something about if this doesn't get worked out, he will pay the guy's tuition for a year out of his own pocket.

Say what you will about Savage..........
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Just more counterculture insanity from the low-IQ-left.

While at the university, liberals seek out the least rigorous, easiest majors, majors whose content is simply nonsense and bullshit that somebody just made up.  They sit in class with the dumbest students at the university.  They ARE the dumbest students at the university.

After they graduate, with minds filled with fantasy,  they think of themselves as 'intelligencia', as an intellectually superior elite, who are entitled to run the lives of everyone else.

Somehow they never get it...dumb as a box of rocks before graduation = dumb as a box of rocks after graduation.  But, they are just too dumb to understand that obvious truth.

Send liberals to africa, millions of africans are starving.  Can you say "long-pig"??
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#41]
severely tagged for fire mission purposes
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Neither illegal nor legal aliens get in-state tuition in Texas. Have to be permanent resident or USC.

ETA: some legal nonimmigrants get in-state tuition, but not foreign students

some illegal may attend comm. college but not for credit, different schools vary

see Hazlewood info below for vets
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I believe the reason they thought he was not a resident is on the basis of the Hazelwood-Hinson Act.  This is an act of the Texas Legislature which provides for tuition assistance to certain veterans who originally enlist as citizens of Texas.

But this DOES NOT ESTABLISH RESIDENCY for tuition purposes.    From the agency listed, this is a complete mistake.

Coordinating Board Rules, Chapter 21, Subchapter B, Section 21.23(c):
Members of the U.S. Armed Forces and commissioned Public Health Service Officers
are presumed to maintain the same domicile that was in effect at the time of entering the service
during their entire period of active service. They are presumed not to establish a domicile in
other states in which they are assigned duty because their presence is not voluntary but under
U.S. military or Public Health Service orders. See pages 18-23 of this document (relating to
“Waivers for Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, Army National Guard, Air National Guard and
Commissioned Officers of the Public Health Service, their Spouse and Dependents”) for information
on exceptions provided for in Chapter 21, Subchapter B, Section 21.26(b)(11).

Statutory Provisions:
Texas Education Code Sec. 54.058 (i). A former member of the Armed Forces of the
United States or the former member’s spouse or dependent child is entitled to pay the tuition
fees and other fees or charges provided for Texas residents for any term or semester at a state
institution of higher education that begins before the first anniversary of the member’s separation
from the Armed Forces if the former member:
1. has retired or been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces; and
2. has complied with the requirements of Section 54.058 (d). (See page 18 of this document.)

Clearly, this is an error
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:56:16 AM EDT
[#44]
When I was stationed at Ft Bliss, I got in state tuition even though I am still a WA resident.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:10:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I said it the other day....time to start seeing liberals swinging from lamp posts.....

you just gave me a woody!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Well say it somewhere else. Murder is not an option to cure society's ills.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Just got a canned response from the college directing me to this

http://www.austincc.edu/pres/Message.htm

A Message from the President of Austin Community College

Recent news reports about a U.S. Marine veteran being ineligible for in-state tuition at Austin Community College or any other public higher education institution in Texas have raised some questions about state residency law.  While ACC honors all who serve our country, and is committed to helping them achieve access to higher education, it is important that all relevant information be considered.

First, this is not a widespread problem applicable to all who have served their country.  This is an individual situation involving one person who lived in another state before entering the military and who listed the other state – not Texas – as his permanent address in military records.

Texas residency is guided by state law, as reflected in the Texas Education Code.  As a taxpayer-funded college, ACC is not able to pick the laws with which it complies.  Additionally, this type of situation is complicated when a resident moves out of Texas for several years prior to entering the military, enlists in the military in another state, and lists that state as a home of record and permanent address in all military papers.

Contrary to some reports, ACC has assisted the student with his fall enrollment.  Yet again, we are not able to ignore the state law which guides residency designation.  The law mandates we treat all applicants equally. ACC has applied the current state residency law to the student in question, made many calls on his behalf to ensure that any documentation needed to comply with the law was understood, and confirmed with him his eligibility to receive Pell Grant and VA educational assistance. If public elected officials choose to change Texas’ public policy on residency to make it even more flexible for those who serve their country in the military, ACC would certainly be supportive.

In the meantime, ACC invites all who have inquired about the status of the Marine veteran in this instance to show their full support for our veterans and higher education by making a donation to the ACC Foundation.  I have made an additional personal donation to the ACC Foundation, and invite others who feel strongly about this issue to consider doing the same.  

For more information about scholarship donation opportunities, you may go to www.austincc.edu/foundation.

Additional information regarding Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Chapter 21 Student Services Subchapter B. Determining Residence Status

Austin American-Statesman Article, Scuttlebutt, Strayhorn goes "to war" for Marine

Thank you.

Dr. Stephen B. Kinslow, President

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Same here, canned response...

Thank you for your interest in Austin Community College.  To read a message from ACC President Dr. Stephen B. Kinslow on this issue, please go to

Thank you,
Veronica Obregon
Communications Specialist II
Public Information and College Marketing
Austin Community College
5930 Middle Fiskville Rd.
Austin, TX  78752
desk:  512-223-7596
cell:    512-658-0772
fax:   512-223-7272

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Same here, they ,ust be swamped.

Thank you for your interest in Austin Community College.  To read a message from ACC President Dr. Stephen B. Kinslow on this issue, please go to

Thank you,
Veronica Obregon
Communications Specialist II
Public Information and College Marketing
Austin Community College
5930 Middle Fiskville Rd.
Austin, TX  78752
desk:  512-223-7596
cell:    512-658-0772
fax:   512-223-7272

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well say it somewhere else. Murder is not an option to cure society's ills.

Tell that to the American rebels at Lexington, April 19, 1775.  God save the Queen!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top