Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 11:39:27 AM EDT
Our daughter has given up on Boston and is heading back to Alaska. Just looking at an Atlas it appears it would be an easier trip to go North of the Great Lakes rather than South of the Great Lakes.
What do you think and why?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I would price gas N & S of the border and cellphone coverage... I'd think Trans-canada would be prettier & safer (at least in the East), but more services available along I-90/94 across the states... could split the difference and go to Sault Ste. Marie in one country, then cross over to the other -
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]
gas is likely cheaper in the US, at least it has been every time I've been to Ontario, and that's bad considering that NY is some of the priciest gas in the US
sure, it's labeled as 50 cents, or 75 cents and last time I was there I think it was finally up to $1, but you have to multiply that by 3.78 to get the per gallon price. And the exchange rate is shit right now
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Gas will be more, but it is a nice trip on the north side.  North side of Superior is cool, then you get into NW Ontario cottage country.  Once you hit Winnipeg, things flatten out (F L A T) until you get to Calgary.

Gas prices in varying areas of Canada and the US:  gasticker.com or  gastips.com
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my concerns is the large metropolitan areas on the south side of the great lakes, I was thinking the north side of the great lakes would be less populated?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't recommend she stay in Cleveland, Toledo, Chicago or Milwaukee, but anywhere 1/2 hour out from any of those areas should be no problem. It's not just the crime, in some of the cities in Ohio the rivers catch fire.

I'm serious!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top