Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2005 11:34:11 AM EDT
How come the electric igniter of ALL the Propane grills I've ever worked with stoppes working after a while? Is there something that you can do to fix/maintain them?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#1]
If you wanna hang out you've got to take her out; propane.
If you wanna get down, down on the ground; propane.
She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie; propane.

If you got bad news, you wanna kick them blues; propane.
When your day is done and you wanna run; propane.

If your thing is gone and you wanna ride on; propane.
Don't forget this fact, you can't get it back; propane.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I just replaced mine the other day.
It all starts with a mechanical switch (piezo), so there's your answer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How come the electric igniter of ALL the Propane grills I've ever worked with stoppes working after a while? Is there something that you can do to fix/maintain them?
Thanks!

The ignitor in my current Weber gas grill has lasted over 7 years. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Most ignition buttons have a battery behind them.  Have you checked yours?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Bn6dUZ2VH9IJ:visibleh20.com/ipw-web/b2/images/Hank_Hill.jpg

Most ignition buttons have a battery behind them.  Have you checked yours?

i don't think this is a battery operated one. it creates a spark manually.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#6]
That's always the first thing to go on a gas grill.  You can get a new one at Lowes/Home Depot fairly cheap, or you can be like me and buy 1K matches at the dollar store.  Just dont wait too long between when you turn on the gas and when you toss in the match.    I didn't have to shave for about a week.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#7]
bummer. I had a really nice one too. You rotated a knob (instead of those red buttons) and on every 1/4 turn it fired a spark. So firing multiple sparks were a very easy thing to do. really sucks that they all go like that. is there no hope?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#8]
always capitalize God's Gas

Propane
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Most No ignition buttons have a battery behind them.

Fixed it.  These spark igniters are piezoelectric and have no batteries.  Usually when they stop working it's because crud has built up on the electrode next to the burner and the spark is getting shorted to the chassis.  Take it apart and clean it and it will probably start sparking again.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two Weber gas grills, one of them is over 18 years old.

The igniters have never failed on either unit....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine stopped working, I just put in another AA battery and it works fine
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks!

The ignitor in my current Weber gas grill has lasted over 7 years. YMMV.

thats why it still works, its a Weber. I sell weber grills at my family's hardware store and they have excellent customer service and replacement policy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#13]
To tell you the truth, I don't even know why they come with one, since the damn thing quits after a week anyway.  Grills should just come with a coupon for a brick of diamond matches
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:

My big Costco-purchased grill has a AA battery under the push-button. Not ALL sparkers are manual.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

My big Costco-purchased grill has a AA battery under the push-button. Not ALL sparkers are manual.

But, but, ... he seemed so sure of himself?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
always capitalize God's Gas

Propane

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Certain crystalline materials (like quartz, Rochelle salt and certain ceramics) have piezoelectric behavior. When you apply pressure to them, you get a charge separation within the crystal and a voltage across the crystal that is sometimes extremely high. For example, in a BBQ lighter, the popping noise you hear is a little spring-loaded hammer hitting a crystal and generating thousands of volts across the faces of the crystal. A voltage this high is identical to the voltage that drives a spark plug in a gasoline engine. The crystal's voltage can generate a nice spark that lights the gas in the grill.

via howstuffworks.com
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#18]

funny thread....

Propane ignitors stop working because they are low quality pieces of sheet.  If you saw a full year out of it then you're doing well.  The only thing those grill ignitors are good for is when they're used as triggers inside homemade potatoe cannons, they work great there.  My potatoe gun sends a spud 200 yards, depending on the wind and angle.

As for your grill, be man....toss a match in and step back

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted: As for your grill, be man....toss a match in and step back
Don't forget to let your buddy hold your beer!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top