Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2005 8:45:06 AM EDT
latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-chimp17aug17,0,2778942.story?coll=la-tot-promo&track=toppromo

Man Attacked by Chimps at Sanctuary Returns Home
Victim's wife thanks public and medical staff, says her husband has 'come a long way.'
By Natasha Lee
Times Staff Writer

August 17, 2005

Nearly six months after being mauled by two chimpanzees, a West Covina man returned home Tuesday after undergoing multiple reconstructive surgeries and spending weeks in a coma.

St. James Davis, 62, was welcomed home by his tearful wife, LaDonna, and greeted with a round of applause from friends and neighbors.

"He's come a long way," said LaDonna, 64, at a news conference outside the couple's home with their attorney, Gloria Allred. "In reality, when this first happened, I thought this would take longer than six months."

Davis and his wife were attacked March 3 while visiting the couple's pet chimp, Moe, at the Animal Haven Ranch in Kern County. The couple had gone to the private sanctuary to celebrate the chimp's 39th birthday.

While they were standing outside Moe's cage with a birthday cake, two other male chimps escaped from their cages and attacked them.

The animals chewed off most of St. James Davis' face and fingers from both hands, and tore off his foot. He lost his right eye. LaDonna Davis' left thumb was bitten off.

On Tuesday, as St. James Davis was wheeled on a stretcher into his home, he waved — his right eye bandaged and just a thin veil of skin for a nose — and thanked the crowd of supporters. He is scheduled to have two surgeries next week, and will continue to undergo rehabilitation treatments and counseling, Allred said.

"I think we all feel good he's alive," his wife said.

She thanked the public for the outpouring of support and praised the staff at Loma Linda University Medical Center for "giving back St. James to me."

Allred described St. James Davis as a fighter who had survived despite many medical obstacles.

"I and many others admire him for his fighting spirit," she said. "We are thankful for this day and look forward to the future."

The attack has not changed the couple's devotion to Moe, said LaDonna Davis, adding that her husband harbors no ill feelings toward the chimps that attacked him.

After biting off part of a woman's finger, Moe was taken from the Davis home in 1999 and placed at the Wildlife Waystation in the Angeles National Forest. He was moved to the Animal Haven Ranch in 2004.

"It's like people; it's like human nature — you have the best of us and the worst of us, and that's the same in animals," LaDonna Davis said.

Neighbors and friends said St. James Davis was lucky to be alive. "It's great that he survived," said family friend Steve Peterson, 44, his eyes welling with tears. "I've been waiting to talk to him."

Allred would not say whether the Davises planned legal action against the animal sanctuary. The owner has asked state authorities to find a new home for Moe.

But neighbors such as Darryl Davis believe that Moe's home is with the couple.

"The safest place for Moe is right in his backyard," said Davis, 43, who is taking part in a petition drive to help return the chimp to the couple's care. More than 100,000 signatures have been gathered, he said.

Copyright 2005 Los Angeles Times

partners: KTLA   Hoy
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Chimps should be armed to protect themselves against people that capture them and hold them prisoners like that.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd be looking for a perfect spot for the chimp rug, and these clowns want him BACK at home?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Is he one of those "save the animals hug the trees" guy who got attacked by the critters he was caring for?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd be looking for a perfect spot for the chimp rug, and these clowns want him BACK at home?

his chimp, moe, was not  one of the ones that attacked him, did you read the whole article??
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:20:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-chimp17aug17,0,2778942.story?coll=la-tot-promo&track=toppromo

"It's like people; it's like human nature — you have the best of us and the worst of us, and that's the same in animals," LaDonna Davis said.

Except, you know, when I go to visit my human friends, their neighbors DON'T FREAKING ATTACK ME AND CHEW OFF MY FACE, EYE, FINGERS AND FEET!!!.  

Idiots.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is he one of those "save the animals hug the trees" guy who got attacked by the critters he was caring for?

It was not his chimp that attacked him, but two others who were shot by the zoo keeper.

FYI: The article fails to mention Davis had his nuts ripped off by one of the chimps and that those parts were found some distance down the road.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]
It was Moe's fault.  He told his chimp buddies that they weren't invited to the party and that they didn't get any of his birthday cake.  I'd be Pi$$ed to in I were in their shoes (?)

Lawdog
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:26:56 AM EDT
[#8]
If they left the fucking chimp in the jungle where he belonged this wouldnt have happened. They just dont get it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:28:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Why can't we create a Chimp Brigade and drop it into Fallujah?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:30:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It was not his chimp that attacked him, but two others who were shot by the zoo keeper. FYI: The article fails to mention Davis had his nuts ripped off by one of the chimps and that those parts were found some distance down the road.....

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Whoa, those chips were jealous of his equipment!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

his chimp, moe, was not  one of the ones that attacked him, did you read the whole article??

I read it, does not matter.  An animal that powerful does not belong in a household except as a wall hanging.

It's not a human child, no matter how much these goofbals treat it like one.  Lucky for them water buffalo aren't cute.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
So, the deal is the sanctuary houses animals that have a history of attacking humans?

Wouldn’t it be better to just shoot the freakin' things?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I like how the article stated he held no ill will toward the chimps that attacked him. I guess it IS kinda hard to hold a grudge against two animals that got blown away shortly after mauling you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It was Moe's fault.  He told his chimp buddies that they weren't invited to the party and that they didn't get any of his birthday cake.  I'd be Pi$$ed to in I were in their shoes (?)

Lawdog

I've heard that chimps are highly intelligent, I'm sure that is something like that happened. These animals hae tremendous upper body strength in order to survive in the wilds of swinging from tree to tree, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top