Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2005 8:24:24 AM EDT
Actually only half way through. The historical infomation in this book is truly eye opening.

"FLY BOYS" by James Bradley

Anybody else reading it. What do you think?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#1]
never heard of it  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I read it last spring.

It is a real eye opener. Really helps you to understand the Japanese mentality and such.

A very good book.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]
God I read so much, Remind me. Is this the one with Bush Sr and how the japs treated POW's?  
Another good read along those lines is "Gold Warriors" Really makes you understand the mentality our Grandfathers dealt with in the pacific.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
God I read so much, Remind me. Is this the one with Bush Sr and how the japs treated POW's?  
Another good read along those lines is "Gold Warriors" Really makes you understand the mentality our Grandfathers dealt with in the pacific.

Yes it is. It's more the story of the Japanese on the island of Chi Chi Jima than the story or Pres. Bush. But it is the place where he was shot down and what happened to the captured American pilots.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Points of interest from what I have read so far.

The end of the land grabbing wars as they knew it prior to WWI. I think Roosevelt had a lot to do with this.

Gen Billy Mitchell's, at the infancy of modern flight,  prediction that aircraft  would play a significant roll in post WWI warfare. That he was ridiculed and laughed at at the time. He went to his grave fighting for an Airforce.

Jimmy Doolittles squadron that had the courage it took to launch B-25s from the deck of an aircraft carrier, in rough weather against all odds, to bomb Tokyo and then try to make it to China, our ally at the time, on fumes. All pilots and crew survived the mission.

The Japanese soldiers really were ruthless, vicious warriors.

We did some bad things too in the name of anger and revenge for Pearl Harbor. How else can you defeat a vicious enemy?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is. It's more the story of the Japanese on the island of Chi Chi Jima than the story or Pres. Bush. But it is the place where he was shot down and what happened to the captured American pilots.

I haven't got to that part yet but I think G. Bush Sr. was the only survivor of the ChiChi Jima mission.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Its a good read.  It seems that a lot of research went into that book.

Smalls
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't got to that part yet but I think G. Bush Sr. was the only survivor of the ChiChi Jima mission.

I was going to answer that but decided it would be a spoiler. Don't want to do that to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top