Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 7:09:29 AM EDT
That's what I get for switching over to NPR to check the news.

Got there just in time to hear Robert Reich's editorial about the battle between Conoco-Phillips and the NRA over gun owners' rights to keep guns in their cars.  Reich wants OSHA to step in and ban all guns from all workplaces.  And if they don't, he'll accuse them and Bush of being in the NRA's pocket.  What a total dumbass.  Ruined my good mood, I can tell you.

If they did, I'd love to see how well prisons, courthouses, police stations, and military bases get along without guns.  After all, fair is fair, right?  I'm sure they're the main reason he's able to use that stupid statistic about workplaces that allow guns being five times more likely to have someone killed than places that ban them.  You just know that stat includes those kinds of "workplaces".  He didn't mention that part, of course.

Guns aren't allowed where I work.  I wonder if someone comes in and shoots the place up if I (or my next-of-kin) can sue my employer for megabucks because they disarmed me, but failed to provide protection?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Switch over to AirAmerica...you'll shoot your car.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#2]
My guess is the guy has a family member who is a postal worker....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't feel bad. I do that all the time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nah... just very-short-Liberal-syndrome. (Like Napoleonic Syndrome, but worse.)
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]

When he talks about stuff he actually understands, he's actually a pretty smart guy.  Don't necessarily agree with him on much, but he's pretty bright on other stuff.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah... just very-short-Liberal-syndrome. (Like Napoleonic Syndrome, but worse.)

<Eddy Izzard voice>
Brilliant!

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I listened to Air America Wednesday morning after the election, was loving every minute of it!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When he talks about stuff he actually understands, he's actually a pretty smart guy.  Don't necessarily agree with him on much, but he's pretty bright on other stuff.

I'd have to agree there.  I've heard some of his comments before, and thought, "Damn, never thought I'd hear that on NPR" or at the very least "Not sure if I agree with him, but he's got some interesting points."  Of course, I've disagreed with him quite a bit too.

But this morning, it was more like, "F*** YOU!!"  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, ban guns from the workplace huh? Talk about defacto gun ban. How are gun shops supposed to sell guns if they can't have them at the work place?

Not to mention, why not let the owners decide? This is America last time I checked right? Land of the free... mostly free... almost free... a shit, forget it, we've lost most of our freedoms already
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Switch over to AirAmerica...you'll shoot your car.

Sgatr15

Tried listening to the 910AM Air America in Dallas one day while stuck in traffic.  The people next to me probably thought I was insane due to the yelling, wild hand gestures, and angry finger pointing at the radio.

Was a good way to get the heart rate up!

EPOCH

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I yell at my radio all the time. Thinking about taking it out, but I now use my mp3 player and I don't have to yell at it anymore.

Some members on this board think that banning guns at the workplace would be just fine.
It's really too bad that some people seem to think that private residential property rights are the same as an open to the public, business property.

Oh well, just another pipe dream to ban guns. Our current legislative process would prevent OSHA from stepping in with a total ban. That would need to fall upon the states themselves. OSHA and the feds don't have the power to do this - YET.... Well, maybe they could mandate trigger locks at work.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I yell at my radio all the time. Thinking about taking it out, but I now use my mp3 player and I don't have to yell at it anymore.

Some members on this board think that banning guns at the workplace would be just fine.
It's really too bad that some people seem to think that private residential property rights are the same as an open to the public, business property.

Oh well, just another pipe dream to ban guns. Our current legislative process would prevent OSHA from stepping in with a total ban. That would need to fall upon the states themselves. OSHA and the feds don't have the power to do this - YET.... Well, maybe they could mandate trigger locks at work.

I don't AGREE with banning guns at the workplace, but I dont agree that the Constitution prevents them from contracting with me and stipulating I will not carry weapons on their premises.  If it comes to a situation where they demand I not own them at all, or carry one on public property.... well lets see them search my house or car.  My boss knows my stand on this for any item.  They will see me out the door with my box of personal effects before I open my car to a search.  It isn't happening.  I'd probably be happier working somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Guns aren't allowed where I work.  I wonder if someone comes in and shoots the place up if I (or my next-of-kin) can sue my employer for megabucks because they disarmed me, but failed to provide protection?

I've been saying this for a while...they don't protect you, and yet they deny you the right to protect yourself.  Sounds like a slam dunk of a law suit to me.  

Of course, the Brady Bunch usually get to the berieved loved ones first, and blame it all on the GUN.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top