Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2005 6:38:30 AM EDT
We broke up several years ago, but have remained friends. (No, not that kind of "friends" - it's not mine )

Anyway, one of the reasons we broke up was because she was obsessed with the idea of having a baby, and I had already had three kids and a vasectomy.

Sooo... she has apparently not treed anyone willling to get with her program in the ensuing years, and at age 43 has had herself artificially inseminated.

I guess I'm happy for her, but she doesn't have a clue what she's in for. She's a flight attendant who is away from home 18-20 days a month. She's already had a fight with her sister, because the latter can read the writing on the wall and doesn't want to get stuck with all the baby-sitting.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I feel sorry for the kid.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The female internal clock is a motha!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:41:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad this didn't go where I thought it was.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Mmmmm.  Turkey Baster  method.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1

kids need TWO parents (preferable living in the SAME home)

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
She is selfish and stupid.  Never a good combo for the kid.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Stupid, selfish bitch. No wonder no one would marry her.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Stupid, selfish bitch.

That's a leap, considering that you know nothing else about her. She is none of the above. I will agree, though, that her decision is ill-considered, and that she's in for a big awakening.

I hope she has a daughter, as single mothers with boys don't seem to do well.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stupid, selfish bitch.

That's a leap, considering that you know nothing else about her.

He is basing it on the info YOU provide.

and it sounds pretty accurate to me.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#10]
So she used to date you?

Well we already knew she had bad judgement then.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stupid, selfish bitch.

That's a leap, considering that you know nothing else about her. She is none of the above. I will agree, though, that her decision is ill-considered, and that she's in for a big awakening.

Single mothers with absentee, or in this case non existant, fathers don't do well with any sexed children.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm glad this didn't go where I thought it was.

+1  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stupid, selfish bitch.

She will regret that she had the kid in short order and the kid will grow up living with the resentment resulting in a child with low self-worth and a poor outlook on life.  The choice she made was remarkably stupid for the occupation that she has chosen and then thinking that she can depend on someone else to babysit/raise the child for her, yea I stand by original statement.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stupid, selfish bitch.

That's a leap, considering that you know nothing else about her.

He is basing it on the info YOU provide.

and it sounds pretty accurate to me.

Sgat1r5

Well, I'll just say that she's probably not in the same league as the women in your life

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:55:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#16]

kids need TWO parents A mom and a dad, (preferable living in the SAME home)

Sorry, I just had to de-neuter that statement.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well, I'll just say that she's probably not in the same league as the women in your life

tinypic.com/ank41k.jpg

Now, what do you mean by that Rodent?  Last time you posted that pic along with a quote of mine you called my wife a bitch.

It that what you are saying again (for the THIRD time now?)

Sgatr15

Edited to add: "I can see how you think I called this woman a bitch, since I quoted someone else, but I was just agreeing that she was selfish, not a bitch.  I don't like to call women bitches.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
artificially inseminated

+

She's a flight attendant who is away from home 18-20 days a month.

=

I had the same thought, but she showed me the info on the donor (some Danish grad student Viking sort.) She's a tall blonde herself, and very intelligent, so I have to admit that the genetics at least will be outstanding.

Sounds like some kind of SS breeding program, doesn't it?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Sgat1r5

+1  lets hope when the baby is born her instintskick in.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:02:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Sgat1r5

Patty, I'm not one of the spelling nazis, but that word took me a minute to figure out.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Sgat1r5

Find that woman a husband, Rodent!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#23]
She's delusional.   How is hell is she going to be a good mother to a child...AND pursue her career?

I can understand her sister's reaction too.

Well...I wish her luck anyway.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#24]
She's going to be 61 when her child graduates from high school, and 65 by the time he/she graduates from college.  So much for saving for retirement, huh?

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Are you volunteering?  

ETA there's probably not a huge dating pool out there for forty-something women with newborns.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Sgat1r5

Patty, I'm not one of the spelling nazis, but that word took me a minute to figure out.  

my keyboard wont work so im using on screen.    Patty
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#27]
DAMN WOMAN>  Keyboards are $10!!!!!!!

Buy a new one

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Buy a new one

Sgatr15

Its the 120 mile rt drive thats holding me back.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a new one

Sgatr15

Its the 120 mile rt drive thats holding me back.  Patty

Damn, get out the sears and roebuck and mail order ya one.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Damn, get out the sears and roebuck and mail order ya one.  

WHAT?

They deliver stuff to your house now?

When did that start???

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you volunteering?  

ETA there's probably not a huge dating pool out there for forty-something women with newborns.

I'm sure some 40 YO Basement dwelling virgin computer nerd would like a shot at her..
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
artificially inseminated

+

She's a flight attendant who is away from home 18-20 days a month.

=

I had the same thought, but she showed me the info on the donor (some Danish grad student Viking sort.) She's a tall blonde herself, and very intelligent, so I have to admit that the genetics at least will be outstanding.

Sounds like some kind of SS breeding program, doesn't it?  

Damn - I KNEW being hard up for money in graduate school would come back to haunt me!!  

j/k   - I considered it (as an alternative to the grad students who sold themselves for medical experimentation), but never actually did.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Selfish selfish selfish....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you volunteering?  

I'm sure some 40 YO Basement dwelling virgin computer nerd would like a shot at her..

So... are YOU volunteering?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you volunteering?  

So... are YOU volunteering?

Nope, I'm not 40 yet!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Daddy!!!

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you volunteering?  

Oh no, Rodent! One of my requirements for a wife was that she be sane! I found a sane one and am quite happy with her.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Back to being serious for a brief moment:

She has a very romanticised mental image of parenting. As my daughter observed: "She wants a kid to dress up like a doll and take shopping."

She loves to travel, ski, etc, and doesn't believe this will even slow her down, "I'll just put it in a backpack."

She drives a nice car, has a taste for good wine and clothes, but I'd be surprised if she has any savings worth mentioning.

On the positive side, she's very intelligent, an extremely hard worker, and has a wonderful extended family.

It'll be fascinating to watch her get a dose of reality. I'd like to be a fly on the wall for, say, the first round of projectile vomiting.

I'm hoping she rises to the occassion and that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you volunteering?  

Oh no, Rodent! One of my requirements for a wife was that she be sane! I found a sane one and am quite happy with her.

What about your mistresses? Do they need to be sane?

(It's so hard to find that perfect balance between sane and kinky...)
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

She has a very romanticised mental image of parenting. As my daughter observed: "She wants a kid to dress up like a doll and take shopping."

And yet you question people when they call her selfish??

Sgat1r5

PS  wait...I was wrong...you ATTACK people when they say she is selfish.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Having a kid at 43?  I seriously hope that kid doesn't turn out retarded.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

And yet you question people when they call her selfish??

Sgat1r5

PS  wait...I was wrong...you ATTACK people when they say she is selfish.

At least she's honest, intelligent and has a job, unlike SOME people we could mention.

If you'd like to start a thread in the pit, I'd be happy to respond to your posts in greater detail.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stupid, selfish bitch.

Single mothers with absentee, or in this case non existant, fathers don't do well with any sexed children.  

Agreed.  I mean no disrespect to single mothers (or fathers), but single parent homes aren't the ideal environment for raising children.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Sgat1r5

+2
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stupid, selfish bitch.

Agreed.  I mean no disrespect to single mothers (or fathers), but single parent homes aren't the ideal environment for raising children.

I agree that the traditional family is clearly BETTER than a single parent, and that single parents in general are more likely to have fucked-up kids -  but I question the blanket and general statement that single mothers don't do well with children.

I know plenty of children of single parents that are very well adjusted and very successful, and plenty of people with two parents who are completely fucked up and maladjusted.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

She loves to travel, ski, etc, and doesn't believe this will even slow her down, "I'll just put it in a backpack."

She drives a nice car, has a taste for good wine and clothes, but I'd be surprised if she has any savings worth mentioning.

On the positive side, she's very intelligent, an extremely hard worker, and has a wonderful extended family.
It'll be fascinating to watch her get a dose of reality. I'd like to be a fly on the wall for, say, the first round of projectile vomiting.

I'm hoping she rises to the occassion and that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

this is not going to be easy for her at all. is the sister that's telling her no part of this wonderful extended family?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

If you'd like to start a thread in the pit, I'd be happy to respond to your posts in greater detail.

Respond here.

Last time you showed that pic you called my wife a bitch.

Are you calling my wife a bitch again?

It's a simple yes/no answer.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:58:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
this is not going to be easy for her at all. is the sister that's telling her no part of this wonderful extended family?

Yes. The sister's just calling it like she sees it, as did I.

I'm still closer to this girls family than I am to my own. They are categorically nice, bright, good-hearted sorts. But they realize that one way or another, they're going to get sucked into this folly and end up carrying part of the load.

They tried to talk her out of this, but once she locks onto something, dynamite won't change her mind.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stupid, selfish bitch.

I agree that the traditional family is clearly BETTER than a single parent, and that single parents in general are more likely to have fucked-up kids -  but I question the blanket and general statement that single mothers don't do well with children.

I know plenty of children of single parents that are very well adjusted and very successful, and plenty of people with two parents who are completely fucked up and maladjusted.

Upon rereading, you are right.  It is a pretty broad statement that I made.  I am sure that there are kids who come from single parent homes that turn out alright, but like you said, the tendancy for messed up kids is much higher.  It is one thing to be a single parent because the other parent left and has nothing to do with the kids/or was an abuser, it is another to go into parenthood knowingly without having a partner as is the case here.

In short, single parenting is incredably difficult and it would take some super parenting and a lot of time to do it on your own.  All indications from the starter of this thread point to this not happening in this situation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top