Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2005 12:46:47 AM EDT
Why don't we get you a motorcycle instead of a new truck.  Sometimes I don't think I hear her right.  But she'd seen the new gas sign that put it at 2.549 a gallon.  But she was serious she wants me to get a bike.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#1]
she also upped your life insurance today
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
deffinate huh face
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#3]
You are a lucky man to have such a loving wife.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#4]
only $925 at Costco
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#5]
What do ya'll think the "again" in the title is for?  we're not exactly family of the century.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:00:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Every day, I want a bike more and more. Maybe I should take the bike classes and get my Class M license this year. That way next year when we'll probably be paying $5.00 a gallon for gas, I'll be ready.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Those that label a motorcycle as 'two wheeled death' aren't much better than those that cluck about having a firearm in the home as a disaster waiting to happen. A tool, used properly, is no danger to its operator.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:27:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Those that label a motorcycle as 'two wheeled death' aren't much better than those that cluck about having a firearm in the home as a disaster waiting to happen. A tool, used properly, is no danger to its operator.

This tool requires you to be really aware of the tools around you operating their tools before they take you out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:08:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Dusty,
Sounds like you married a smart lafy, take her advice. Get a bike , take a Motorcycle foundation rider course and get some good gear. You'll find yourself actually enjoying your commute .
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:17:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It's not the operator, it's the 7,000 pounds of steel being wielded by a soccer mom who's yakking on the phone, that swerves in front of you, and makes you dead.

Lemme guess, you don't ride where there are cars, or you have cat-like senses?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:17:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I ride, the wife rides behind me but said, maybe she should get one to save on gas? Oh and the Baby's g*dmom just got her license...was jonesing to borrow a bike.....Well our neighbors are in for it..got ot put the concrete pads in the driveway..
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:20:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why don't we get you a motorcycle instead of a new truck.  Sometimes I don't think I hear her right.  But she'd seen the new gas sign that put it at 2.549 a gallon.  But she was serious she wants me to get a bike.

That might work where you live , but here in the
land of winter . You gotta be Hard Core to ride
more then 4 months a year , and that's not
counting rainy days
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:23:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Chrome,
You must be upstate. I ride from late March/early April until November and usually squeeze in some rides in, in the winter . Good riding gear makes a world of difference.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:31:37 AM EDT
[#14]
My race bike gets lousy mileage.  You might not save as much as you think, if you get a big bike and love the throttle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:38:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Why not get one of these?

LINK
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:44:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm getting 40mpg of riding-asshole nirvana from my new GSXR1000. I'd bet it would drop to about 25 on an actual racetrack.

As for the whole safety thing, riding on the street is a managed risk. You can reduce your risk by riding defensively and not positioning yourself in dangerous places. You can't stop a car from turning left in front of you, but you can have a plan on where to go if it does.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:45:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Chrome,
You must be upstate. I ride from late March/early April until November and usually squeeze in some rides in, in the winter . Good riding gear makes a world of difference.

I used to ride like you do and good gear does make SOME difference .
I even remember riding my bike to Times Square one new years eve
when it was like 15°

Now I'm just old and don't tolerate the cold as well as I used too .
So when it hits 50° I roll up the windows and put on the heat

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:49:45 AM EDT
[#18]
OMFG you buy a truck and now complain about gas mileage? Where was the foresight in your truck purchasing decision?

We bought a cargo van knowing the gas mileage sucked, but it was for a special purpose: hauling shit around. It only gets 14-15 mpg in the city and 17-22 mpg on the highway but we knew that already. My Crown Vic gets 14-15 mpg in the city and 20-21 mpg on the highway, I kind of knew that already.

Now, take out your calculator and a sheet of paper. Do the math.
How much $$ do you save by driving a 30mpg car vs the 14 mpg truck per year?

For me, 20 years in my gas guzzler would have bought me a 30+ mpg gas sipper in the amount of gas money I wasted. Is it worth it to buy an econo car right now? NOPE. Just becuase gas is $3/gal doesn't mean much in the LONG RUN. Yes you're paying more out of your pocket now. But unless you drive 30,000+ miles a year, it shouldn't make a huge difference unless you cannot afford it. But then how can you afford to buy a $10k bike or a $20k gas sipper (may or may not apply to you, just generalizing here)?

While I agree that something that gets 40-50 mpg is really welcome in this time and age, but if you don't have one and need to invest $10k-$20k upfront, I would advise you to do the math FIRST and see how worthwhile this is. I'll keep driving my gas guzzler until someone produces a diesel car other than a MB E320cid or a VW. With diesel cars, you can get 40+ mpg easily and even run on B100 (no petroleum required, reduce dependency on crude).

Don't buy into the hybrid hype - you will end up paying up the wazoo for replacement batteries, fixing the power management computer, and basically beta testing all the crap the OEMs didn't feel like doing, on YOUR dime.

Also, don't buy a bike if you value your life. The amount of gas money you save just isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:49:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Chrome,
I'll be there someday. Then I'll buy an electric suit . I can see it now I'll be one of the old guys on a Goldwing with every comfort accessory known to man, cup holder, sheepskin seat  and pulling a trailer. If any of you resemble this remark no offense intended.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:52:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm considering a bike... I'm not sure if I want to go with something like a Ninja 250 (up to 60+ mpg) or a bigger bike, like 750+ CC.  I'm 6'1, 190 lbs but Ninja owners say that a 250 would be fine for commuting and fun.  Dunno.

Nice thing is, I can get a used Ninja for about $1200 or less, and the insurance will only be $175 a year.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:55:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm considering a bike... I'm not sure if I want to go with something like a Ninja 250 (up to 60+ mpg) or a bigger bike, like 750+ CC.  I'm 6'1, 190 lbs but Ninja owners say that a 250 would be fine for commuting and fun.  Dunno.

Nice thing is, I can get a used Ninja for about $1200 or less, and the insurance will only be $175 a year.

250 cc is kinda small and IMHO best suited for the track.  How about a 600?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:03:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You are a lucky man to have such a loving wife.

www.totalmotorcycle.com/pics/Motorcycle-Accident-Intersection1.jpg

that was awful
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:10:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everything is being considered right now... I'm not even set on a sport bike.  My only concerns are price and fuel economy.

I had a street bike many years ago... a Honda CB650.  That was before a dog came up over a hill and under a guardrail... I never even had a chance to see him until he was right in front of me... and I totalled my bike and spent a week in the hospital.  Dog got a few stitches and was home from the vet that same day.  It was a lab, and I might as well have hit a brick wall.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:11:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Sorry but have to chime in here.  Your statement about "A tool, used properly is no danger to its operator" is IMHO totally inacurate in this particular situation.  When riding motorcyles it dosnt matter how good or safe you may be its the other guy or murphy that 9 times out of 10 will get you killed.  Case in point, I rode Harleys for a long time, was riding with some friends down a rural highway in LA doing 55 mph when out of nowhere a German Shephard came running right out in front of me and i hit it doing 55 mph.  I went down and slid and rolled for over 200 feet.  Its murphy incidents like that that kill hundreds of motorcyle riders every year.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:19:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not the operator, it's the 7,000 pounds of steel being wielded by a soccer mom who's yakking on the phone, that swerves in front of you, and makes you dead.

Lemme guess, you don't ride where there are cars, or you have cat-like senses?

+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#26]
That's what prompted Mrs. Frozenny to suggest we buy two bikes.  Her's is a little GZ250, and it gets 74 mpg.  She'll upgrade to a S40 soon....

Mine is a Volusia 800.  46 mpg.  

Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course.  It's long, and its a pain in the ass, but you learn a LOT.  And you will avoid a lot of accidents that could have been a problem otherwise.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:28:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everything is being considered right now... I'm not even set on a sport bike.  My only concerns are price and fuel economy.

I had a street bike many years ago... a Honda CB650.  That was before a dog came up over a hill and under a guardrail... I never even had a chance to see him until he was right in front of me... and I totalled my bike and spent a week in the hospital.  Dog got a few stitches and was home from the vet that same day.  It was a lab, and I might as well have hit a brick wall.

For fuel economy get a v-twin.  Susuki SV-650's are inexpensive new and don't look that bad.

For accidents:
1) Take the MSF class
2) Get good gear!  You should get at a minimum: Quality helmet, jacket, boots, gloves.  Jacket should have internal armour.  You will probably drop ~ $1500 on this if you get good stuff.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:34:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:36:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Until a car runs a light and squashes you like a bug.  I have a bike of my own and while I don't worry about my driving skills that much I do worry about the driving skills of every other car on the road because in an accident a car will always beat a motorcycle.

BTW the death rates for driving a car are 1.4 per 100 million miles driven while the motorcycle rate is 38 per 100 million miles driven.  So by riding a motorcycle on average you are 27 times more likely to be killed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

yup, two years ago i saw two 19 year old guys die right in front of me when a soccer mom ran over them.  she pulled out in front of them, they slammed into her suburban, for some reason she put it in reverse and backed over them
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You can't stop a car from turning left in front of you

Yep, been there, done that and still ride. Riding is one of those things you just can't get out of your system.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I'd say a 250 is a bit small for you.  Especially if you are commuting on highways.  I'm 155lbs (was 140 when I had my bike ) now and my Seca 400 was a bit underpowered for me once I became semi-proficient at riding.  It would do 85-90 on the highway (I95) but it took a while to get up there.  

A nice all-arounder is the 'zook SV650.  Have you considered them?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Does she need a kidney?
Do you share the same blood type?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:55:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Someone sent me a pic of a guy that was in a motorcycle accident one time ..... he was missing his face from the bridge of his nose, down. bad part is, he was still alive.  I think about that everytime I think about motorcycles.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:56:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd say a 250 is a bit small for you.  Especially if you are commuting on highways.  I'm 155lbs (was 140 when I had my bike ) now and my Seca 400 was a bit underpowered for me once I became semi-proficient at riding.  It would do 85-90 on the highway (I95) but it took a while to get up there.  

Generally speaking (without going to extremes) the bigger the bike the better off you are.

That said,  no way in hell would I commute daily in this city on a bike.  I'd ride public transportation first

Just as an aside, those little Vespa things have really gotten popular around here.  (college town) Even on the frontage roads.  They're getting swatted like mosquitos.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've looked at them but they're a little out of my price range for the time being.  I want a cheap bike... around a grand or so.  Street-type bikes are fine so I might find an old Virago or something.  I don't want payments or the full coverage insurance that goes with it.

I don't have any highway driving getting to this job, and if I switch I will have about 15 miles on a four-lane to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:26:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, been there, done that and still ride. Riding is one of those things you just can't get out of your system.

Same here... BTDT.  I put my bike back together and and still ride it.

By the way, if you're both serious about this, then both of you should take the MSF course.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Why not get one of these?
www.zapworld.com/cars/images/smartcarb.jpg
LINK

I'd rather kick myself in the nuts
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This tool requires you to be really aware of the tools around you operating their tools before they take you out.

A big +1
 It's not me I worry about it's the person talking on their cell phone next to me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does she need a kidney?
Do you share the same blood type?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, me too.  still feel some pain every now and then.  damn bitches making a left in front of you..
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No different than firearms.  Have you been to a public range lately?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 I drive a red truck and in May got rear ended by a cell phone yakkin' female. Think she would have seen a bike? Probably not.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Loud pipes, highbeams, hell, I'd even consider putting a strobe light on the top of my helmet like they do with the school buses...

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I've looked at them but they're a little out of my price range for the time being.  I want a cheap bike... around a grand or so.  Street-type bikes are fine so I might find an old Virago or something.  I don't want payments or the full coverage insurance that goes with it.

I don't have any highway driving getting to this job, and if I switch I will have about 15 miles on a four-lane to deal with.

That's not a bad choice.  The older (early 80s) Viragos were reliable and a good pick for a quality used bike on most of the used bike FAQs I used to read.  I think they were shafties so they're easier to maintain.   I don't think you should have any trouble finding a 1980s era Virago for around a grand.  They used to make a 500 and 750 Virago so you have some options there.  I'd go for the 750 if I were you.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not a bad choice.  The older (early 80s) Viragos were reliable and a good pick for a quality used bike on most of the used bike FAQs I used to read.  I think they were shafties so they're easier to maintain.   I don't think you should have any trouble finding a 1980s era Virago for around a grand.  They used to make a 500 and 750 Virago so you have some options there.  I'd go for the 750 if I were you.  

I actually almost bought this yesterday:

$300 Virago 750

I'm not ready to throw the cash down yet, and I'm not sure about buying an "Unknown" but it still looked like a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

$300 Virago 750

I'm not ready to throw the cash down yet, and I'm not sure about buying an "Unknown" but it still looked like a good deal.

Yeah, $300 for a bike that's running is not a bad deal at all.  Looks like around 36k on the odo and the bike isn't in terrible shape.  I got a out of his location (Jersey Shore, PA).
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$300 Virago 750

Yeah, $300 for a bike that's running is not a bad deal at all.  Looks like around 36k on the odo and the bike isn't in terrible shape.  I got a out of his location (Jersey Shore, PA).

What made me wonder was the datestamp on the photos... April of this year.  That means that he bought it last year, put it away, then tried to sell it first thing this year and couldn't get more than $500 for it (thus the $300 buy it now), maybe even locally at the peak of the bike buying season.  I'm afraid there would have been more to the story if I bought it and then went to pick it up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup, two years ago i saw two 19 year old guys die right in front of me when a soccer mom ran over them.  she pulled out in front of them, they slammed into her suburban, for some reason she put it in reverse and backed over them

That's messed up (ie, intent).
What happened to the bitch?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top