Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 9:28:48 PM EDT
The Anti-War crowd goes too f'n far, calling for a movement to disrupt recruiting efforts in Philly this Saturday.

www.organizepittsburgh.org/

Where we’ve been and where we’re going:

Over the last six months POG has worked exhaustively on a broad based counter-recruitment campaign, which has included extensive flyering at local high schools and universities, large amounts of tabling around the city, bi-weekly protests at local recruiting centers, three unannounced direct actions that blocked the doors of local recruitment centers, and a variety of other educational and movement building events. These have produced results far beyond our initial expectations and are confirmation of the larger possibilities that a broad based CR movement holds for the anti-war movement.

The last three years have seen multiple national convergences attended by millions of people. Hundreds of smaller protests have occurred throughout the nation. These have not been in vain. Still, two things have clearly been lacking in the anti-war movement: a feasible strategy and compelling direct actions that together can actually impact government policy. In this respect, the movement’s record has been less than stellar. Generic mass protests have failed. The electoral route has proved unsurprisingly unsuccessful. Educational campaigns, while making progress in shifting general opinions on the war, have nevertheless failed because they lack a complimentary and compelling action strategy. We believe a Counter-Recruitment movement that utilizes a diversity of tactics is the way to go. And fortunately, this strategy has been taking off in Pittsburgh and around the country.

Now is a critical time to increase our efforts. We believe that a publicly announced, large-scale effort to shutdown recruitment will bring significant tangible gains locally and be a huge boost to organizing efforts in the rest of country. This is the next logical step and is in line with our central beliefs- that this war is wrong, that the human and material costs are unconscionable, that the government will not end the war unless the people resist, that the military will not cease lying and manipulating the young to enlist unless they are forced to, that even if we can’t stop recruitment consistant action against it will increase the pressure to reform how and when it occurs, and ultimately that the community here has the right and responsibility to say that there is no place in our city for centers whose sole purpose is the recruiting of people to kill.

"Gather - 10:30am at the Dinosaur sculpture in front of Carnegie Library (4400 Forbes Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15213)"

What they propose to do is flat out illegal. To wit:

Federal Law, US Code Title 18, PART I, CHAPTER 115,
§ 2388 - 'Activities affecting armed forces during war'

(a) Whoever, when the United States is at war, willfully makes or conveys false reports or false statements with intent to interfere with the operation or success of the military or naval forces of the United States or to promote the success of its enemies; or

Whoever, when the United States is at war, willfully causes or attempts to cause insubordination, disloyalty, mutiny, or refusal of duty, in the military or naval forces of the United States, or willfully obstructs the recruiting or enlistment service of the United States, to the injury of the service or the United States, or attempts to do so—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.
(b) If two or more persons conspire to violate subsection (a) of this section and one or more such persons do any act to effect the object of the conspiracy, each of the parties to such conspiracy shall be punished as provided in said subsection (a).

(c) Whoever harbors or conceals any person who he knows, or has reasonable grounds to believe or suspect, has committed, or is about to commit, an offense under this section, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

(d) This section shall apply within the admiralty and maritime jurisdiction of the United States, and on the high seas, as well as within the United States.

Meet these filthy bastards in the street. Contact every patriotic group / org you can, notify them of their intent to violate Federal law. Contact the Federal DA. Contact your local law enforcement and recruiting offices. Contact the local branch of Protest Warrior.

Stop these filthy bastards.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Pittsburg Indymedia scum also have this event listed
pittsburgh.indymedia.org/calendar/event_display_detail.php?event_id=854
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Scumbags! Those POS's need some serious bashing!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Technically, the US is not at war...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What a pathetic response.

I'm contacting the local recruiters / recruiting commands, the local PD, the Fed DA, VFW, Elks, Rotary, damned near every other civic group I can come up with.
Anyone else got any better suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Really? It was not only officially declared but it went throught the House and Senate and passed with flying colors.

Stop spewing leftist trash.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought 1Andy2 was pointing out a technicality the libbies were hoping for.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? It was not only officially declared but it went throught the House and Senate and passed with flying colors.

Really? What nation did we declare war on?

eta:

And I'm not "spewing leftist trash".  It is a fact.  The United States of America is not currently in a declared state of war with anyone.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

eta:

And I'm not "spewing leftist trash".  It is a fact.  The United States of America is not currently in a declared state of war with anyone.

War is in action until it is declared ended with a peace treaty or one of the parties pull out.

And what about the War on Terror that the libtards are saying we should only show compassion toward the ROP and give in to all of their demands.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

eta:

War is in action until it is declared ended with a peace treaty or one of the parties pull out.

And what about the War on Terror that the libtards are saying we should only show compassion toward the ROP and give in to all of their demands.

Then why did Roosevelt ask congress for a declaration of war on Japan after the attack on Pearl Harbor?  If war was already in motion, why did he feel he needed the congress to declare it?

I'm not saying the war (yes I recognize it as a de facto war) in Iraq isn't necessary.  Just that you would be hard pressed to indict anybody under the statutes mentioned without a formal status of war as declared by congress.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

eta:

Then why did Roosevelt ask congress for a declaration of war on Japan after the attack on Pearl Harbor?  If war was already in motion, why did he feel he needed the congress to declare it?

I'm not saying the war (yes I recognize it as a de facto war) in Iraq isn't necessary.  Just that you would be hard pressed to indict anybody under the statutes mentioned without a formal status of war as declared by congress.

Technically Roosevelt didn't need to ask Congress anything. The 60?90? day war before asking Congress legislation wasn't proposed 'till after 'Nam.

I thought for a second you were turning into a weredemoncrat or something. I get what you're trying to say now but the fact remians that Congress Ok'd our troops being deployed to the region and that's irreversible.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I thought for a second you were turning into a weredemoncrat or something.

WereDemocrat? Thats freaking scary man. Now I cant sleep.

I finallly accepted Zombies. Now you got to go and mention that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#12]
What a retarted bunch of people.

Good luck Pennsylvania, give those bastards hell!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Doesn't sound like a very successful protest

Two War Protesters Injured During March

By Associated Press

August 21, 2005, 12:02 AM EDT

PITTSBURGH -- Two women protesting the war in Iraq were taken to a hospital Saturday after police broke up an unauthorized march involving about five dozen people on a busy one-way street near an Army recruiting station.

David Meieran, who helped organize the protest, accused police of "inappropriate and excessive force."

Vytra Health Plans
Sgt. Clint Winkler, a supervisor on duty, told The Associated Press that one woman who would not leave was subdued with a Taser. He also confirmed that a police dog bit another woman on the leg when she refused police orders to disperse.

Both women and a man involved in the march were arrested, Winkler said.

"They were told to disperse, peacefully disperse, and failed to do so, so we started down the sidewalk -- officers in front, K-9's behind us, and started pushing the crowd down the sidewalk," Winkler said. He said the march broke up after the arrests.

The recruiting station was not open at the time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Would these types of protests be considered treason? If so, shouldn't we be hanging some seditionists? Forget about lethal injection and firing squads, the chemicals and bullets are expensive, at least we can use the ropes again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top