Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2001 10:15:39 AM EDT
I sent a signed copy FFL and a $298 Postal Money Order to a dealer in NY for a Mossberg 590A1. A few days later, I Emailed the guy to see if he had received it, and he replied "WE HAVE IT WE WILL GET IT OUT CHARLIE". The next day, a lady from this place calls me to tell me that they received the FFL but no MO. (This is Bull! I personally filled out the MO, placed it and the FFL in an envelope, sealed it, and turned around and dropped it into the mail slot while I was still at the Post Office.) I call "Charlie" back the following day to see if he had found the MO. He told me no, and he was going to sell the shotgun in 3 days if he doesn't receive payment. I immediately head over to the Post Office to see if they could trace it. I was told that I would have to wait for 30 days. "Charlie" better hope that the MO didn't get deposited into his account by mistake. If it is indeed lost, I will eventually get the $298 back. I would rather have the shotgun than the money though.

What is my recourse if the money order was actually deposited into the business account? I made it out to a business, so they should have to deposit it rather than just cash it.  Right?

Anyone else have any experience with this type of situation?

Thanks,

Joe

Link Posted: 2/18/2001 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#2]
This has happened to me before. Go to the place where you got the money order and tell them you need to put a stop on it. It will help if you have the carbon copy they gave you originally. It's going to cost you about $20 to put a stop on it though...
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Striker & Death,

No, I definitely don't intend to falsely accuse the dealer.  There's probably a thousand guys named Charlie in the gun business in NY state.  I went to stop payment, but the gal at the Post Office told me she couldn't do anything about it for 30 days. :^(  By then, the gun will be gone.

I looked for about 15 minutes on the net for info pertaining to the procedures of Mail Fraud and lost Postal Money Orders.  No luck the first time.  

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I just hope the Post Office will do the investigation if it boild down to that when the 30 days are up.

Joe
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
For a fee of around $3.00 you can put a track on the money order and confirm whether or not it was cashed and I think they may be able to send you back a copy of it too. I may be wrong but that's what I seem to remember. Also try calling the Postal Inspector's office in your area and in the zip of the dealer. Don't bother with the clerks at the local post office, deal with the Postal Inspector. Since you used a postal money order that gives you some extra rights under the postal code, the postal inspectors office can fill you in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top