Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/17/2001 10:09:29 AM EDT
I realize I'm about to open up a Pandora's box of information with this thread, but here goes.  I think it's time I start looking at and considering a pistol purchase.  I only own a single AR15 at the moment, but would also like a pistol for range practice and "glovebox carry" purposes.  I intend to get a CCW, even though I'll probably just end up getting a snub-nosed .38 or similarly-tiny handgun for personal carry.  Nevertheless, I'd like to have something for the time being that I can practice with and get many years of use and enjoyment out of.

Seeing as I'm very inexperienced in the handgun department, I have listed a few of the pistols I am interested in for range practice/home defense/possible car carry.  Here are a few of the things I've seen, please tell me any personal opinions you have had with these firearms:

HS 2000 (9mm or future .40)  - cheap, reliable, effective
Sig Pro SP2340 (.40) - bigger punch, quasi-compact size
Sig P226 (.40) - my absolute weapon of choice, and can be switched to .357
Sig P229 (.40) - compact version, similar to the SP2340
HK USP40 (.40) - heard good things, but know very little about it
Ruger P94 (.40) - again, know very little
Walther P99 (.40) - like the design, appears more compact due to position of slide

As you can see, I have a preferable caliber.  I have fired 9mm, .40, .45, and .44mag, and I just really seem to have a good handle, both in accuracy and ease of use, with the .40S&W...so I figure I might as well [i]start out[/i]
with an easy thing for me.  I'm definately open to other weapon suggestions, praises and criticism of what's listed, and other information (accuracy, reliability, [b]prices[/b], etc) of the few weapons I have down.

Thanks for your help, guys...as always.
[brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I know that its off topic, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me... What is it like being a Jew in Alabama?  Do you have lots of friends?  Or is there alot of head feeling for horns going on???
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Jewbroni, you have missed the obvious choice.  Get a Glock, there is no substitute for Combat Tupperware.  

It will take any kind of abuse you can dish out to it and keep on shooting.

If you are into 40sw, might I suggest the Glock 23?

I much prefer .45acp as my shooting and carry cartridge, I love the Glock 21 and my dailey carry piece is a Glock 36.  

I have jsut about every Glock made and I can truley say, if you need it to go bang when you pull the trigger, Glock is it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#3]
GLock 23, yes I prefer a 1911, I have 3, 2 by Colt. But as a good general purpose only have one, you caan't beat the Glock. It hides easy, with short hair makes the other think you are a cop.  Lots of better chance of getting a hi-cap mag. It does its thing which is you just pull the trigger and it goes bang.
Or a good .357 4 inch barrel, you can use it to plink, hunt and whatever. also you can pick up used ones cheap. I got one Colt .357 for $ 175, another newer one for $ 299. But used guns in PRNJ are mostly virin never shot.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]
NEVER COMPROMISE !!!! get a HK, usp.45, fullsize or compact.[:D]
you wont be disappointed....
[bounce]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Since all of the pistols you listed were in .40, and are Sigs, don't forget the P239 in .40. Slimmer than the P229, smaller overall in height, and length. And it is a bit easier to carry concealed.
But the best thing in the deep south is still the Glock. Nothing to rust. I carried a Sig P226 for years. The only problem is the finish wears. Yes, I know the new ones have stainless slides, but the mags and grip screws really are higher maintaince than assault tupperware.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, I probably should have stated this in my first post...

I won't buy a Glock - at least not for "fun".  Granted, a Glock 23/33 I will most DEFINATELY consider for [i]Personal[/i] carry, but nothing more.  I have handled two glocks, and they just don't conform to my hand well, and I perform less than adequately with them.

But I'm not worried about personal carry JUST yet, so for the record:  no Glocks please.  But thanks for your insightful advice [;)]

[brown]E.J.~[/brown]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#8]
go with what evers most comfortable to you..except dont go with ruger unless its a revolver. ruger makes great revolvers but the autos take down pin can be engaged with the triger finger before firing causing it to fall out when the trigger is pulled i have seen this on the range quite a lot.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rent or borrow.  Don't buy a pistol you haven't tried out.  Make sure the thing fits your hand, and the controls are EASILY useable.  Include $ in purchase price for a number of extra mags; try to swing a deal at purchase tine and shave costs.  Look into optional adjustable, tritium sights as initial options, not as expensive add-ons.  Ergonomics, Accuracy, Power, and Reliability are all equally important.  Don't buy until you are satisfied you're getting plenty of all 4.  Good Luck!
View Quote

GOOD ADVICE!  I agree with you 100%, but unfortunately I just know a few guys...who shoot Glocks [:\].  (Again, I'll consider them for personal carry, but not for home defense or range practice yet...so [b]NO GLOCKS![/b])  What should I do, go to an organized local "shoot" that some of us get together, and fire an assortment of pistols there?  I'm trying to think of a good place to "try out" pistols, although renting might not be a bad idea.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#10]
OT Post by Scipio -
What is it like being a Jew in Alabama?
View Quote

Robert Klein, the comic, wondered the same thing in a stand-up routine he used to do-

Hey, Thelma!  Are we going to Temple tonight, or whaaat?
View Quote

Jewbroni - go with the Glock 40, Mod. 27, for CCW!  Ain't none better, and you can start looking at the others later on down the line.

Besides, what other pistol mentioned has the 29 round Scherer magazine available for it?

Eric The(GlockKindaGuy)Hun[>]:)]  
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Jewbroni,

why be normal, get a S&W 44 Special. Nothing like couple flying BOXCARS to stop the bad guy. Or just get a 44 Mag and load it with 44 specials.

THINK FLYING BOXCARS
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I've owned quite a few different 40s and the only ones I would own again are the SIG 229 and the HK USP Compact.  Both are very accurate and ergonomic.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I've shot Glocks and they feel funny to me too.  If I'd own a gun, which I'm not saying I do, it would be the Walther P99.  It's the first gun that actually feels good and comfortable in my hand.  I've held all the others, the SIGs, the HKs, the Lorcins (g) and none came close to the P99. The trigger is weird but after a few 100 rds I'm used to it.
If you don't have access or the cash to get the assortment you mentioned go to ebay and get the airsoft versions of the guns.  The dimensions are identical plus you can have fun with them too.
Fritz
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Listen to stg44.  If you want a compact DA auto in .40 you can't go wrong with the Sig P239.

Like raf says, try and buy.  That usually doesn't work for me though because I try 'em all and like 'em all and have to get 'em all.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#16]
ummmmm ... never mind ...
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#17]
All those in your list are fine choices, but perhaps... may I suggest the CZ75B in .40?
I got one recently, and that thing is awesome just out of the box, good accuracy, points and aims at target very  well, fits your hand like a glove, all steel, no BS guarantee from the maker. And the price? $380.00

Carlos

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/023/ba/tK/lx/A136077.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#18]
God made the .45ACP, and man has been trying to duplicate it for years.  Except for the .357 mag, I wouldn't piss on the 9mm and 40SW.  Accept no substitutes.  No surprise, I carry a 1911A1 Condition 1, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Glocks and HKs others have posted here. If you get a 1911, I recommend Springfield Armory.

Say, JewBoy, I noticed ol'Piccolo on your signature picture.  What's your power level now?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Since you`re looking for a range gun or "glove box carry",may I humbly suggest the Browning Hi Power in .40 S&W or the paraordnance P-16? I`ve had both and they are both pleasant to shoot. However, neither is what I would call cheap, and the paraordnance mags are also expensive. I`ve since sold my P-16, but I doubt I`ll ever part with my Hi Power.

[pistol]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#20]
With little experience with other than Sigs, I can't comment alot on the other stuff. Except for the fact that my bro has a Glock and I think it is two steps from worthless.

I happen to love Sigs. Have had a 239 for a while and recently bought a 229. Both are in .40 S&W. The 239 shoots better than the 229 and is primo for CCW. The 229 fits a little better in my hand and holds 3 more rounds. Only problems I ever encountered were due to defective ammo (total 1,000 rounds more or less).
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sig P226 (.40) - my absolute weapon of choice, and can be switched to .357
Sig P229 (.40) - compact version, similar to Ruger P94 (.40) - again, know very little

Thanks for your help, guys...as always.
View Quote

The Sig P226 in .40 is very similar to the P220 in .45.  Great pistol, I believe it is the best.  I have a P220.

As for the P229, I have a P228, which also is very similar in the same way of the P220 and 226.  The 228 is slightly lighter, but is available only in 9mm.  LEO only these days.

The Ruger P94.  Have owned the P94 in both 9mm and .40.  Can't beat it for the $$$$$.  Also, you might look for a P91, which they don't make anymore.  It is the .40 version of the P89(9mm)/P90 (.45).
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Jewbroni,

Although I always promote HK USPs, from what I gather, you are a student on a budget.  Am I Right? (or have I completely misread you?) I've heard a lot of good things about the HS 2000.  You can't beat the price either.  There are currently three generations of HS 2000.  The 3rd generation are very nice, but you can usually still find 1st generations around at a very low price.  The only difference I can see in the 3 generations are cosmetic and a tac light mount being added in the later generation.

However, if you have the money, the HK USP is hard to beat.  Lifetime warranty and good customer service too.  If you have big hands, check out the full sizes and if you have small hands or just want better concealability, check out the compact.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[B][BLUE]NRA Life Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.nra.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]GOA Life Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.gunowners.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]SAF Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.saf.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]SAS Supporter[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.sas-aim.org[/URL]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I realize I'm about to open up a Pandora's box [brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
View Quote

Don't be talkin TRASH about Sister Pandora or
any of her Vital Parts. You are no Southern
Gentileman. Apologize now or you may find yourself on the levy at dawn! Please post who your second will be.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#24]
The Ruger P94.  Have owned the P94 in both 9mm and .40.  Can't beat it for the $$$$$.  Also, you might look for a P91, which they don't make anymore.  It is the .40 version of the P89(9mm)/P90 (.45).
View Quote

I also have a Ruger P94DAO...very nice for the $$$$...may I suggest the Ruger GP100 in .357 stainless 4" for the ultimate range/glovebox gun...inexpensive, built like an anvil, pull trigger-goes bang....everytime. Great caliber too, been proven for years. (And it's AMERICAN)
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I was under the impression that Old Man Ruger has been kozying up to the antis.

If this is true, shouldn't we spend our money on his competitor's products?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Beretta's yet...
I've got 2 of 'em...
My wife loves to shoot our 92FS in 9MM & I shoot the 96FS in .40 cal...

Full size Beretta's have the right "feel" to me...
They're very simple to field strip, and reliable as an AK-47...

Nothing against the other suggestions, just my $.02

Also, if your into revolvers, I'd suggest shooting a Taurus Total Titanium .357 mag.
The factory barrel porting does wonders...
I had a Model 617...7-shot, 2" barrel, All Titanium .357 for my carry gun.
It tucked into my belly band perfectly, and was not a bother to carry at all...

Very lightweight and very powerful.

Just something else to consider...
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#27]
[b][blue]Getta Beretta.[/blue][/b]
Model 96.
.40 Sheetmetal & Windshield.
Try one.
You won't be sorry.
The LE agencies that chose it aren't.
US Postal Service.
US Border Patrol.
Etc.

This caliber is good for penetrating cars...
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Model 96.
Try one.
You won't be sorry.
US Postal Service.
US Border Patrol.
Etc.

This caliber is good for penetrating cars...
View Quote

Thanks for the back-up !!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Wobblin Goblin:

View Quote
He never signed an agreement with Clinton ala S&W and never stopped offering certain products to the public ala Colt.  He did voluntarily many years ago try to head off a magazine ban by limiting the capacity of his mags.  This was misguided and somewhat naive, even he admits that now.  Ruger has donated a lot of money, both personal and corporate, to fight for RKBA.  He hasn't cozied up to the antis like S&W and Colt did.  As for the meeting in Paris last week, some people immediately started bashing Ruger, screaming that he was a traitor, etc and the screamers did not have all the facts.  It got real quiet when it was pointed out that Glock and Beretta were there along with some unnamed gun manufacturers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Model 96.
Try one.
You won't be sorry.
US Postal Service
View Quote

Would that be the "DWD?"

"Disgruntled Worker Division?"
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Geez, I hope not.
I believe the Postal Police is the oldest LE agency in the U.S.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:

View Quote
He never signed an agreement with Clinton ala S&W and never stopped offering certain products to the public ala Colt.  He did voluntarily many years ago try to head off a magazine ban by limiting the capacity of his mags.  This was misguided and somewhat naive, even he admits that now.  Ruger has donated a lot of money, both personal and corporate, to fight for RKBA.  He hasn't cozied up to the antis like S&W and Colt did.  As for the meeting in Paris last week, some people immediately started bashing Ruger, screaming that he was a traitor, etc and the screamers did not have all the facts.  It got real quiet when it was pointed out that Glock and Beretta were there along with some unnamed gun manufacturers.
View Quote

I hear ya. Still, I would have a few misgivings about Ruger. Are they misguided? Maybe. It's kind of a moot point, though, because I don't particularly care for anything Ruger makes.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I hear ya. Still, I would have a few misgivings about Ruger. Are they misguided? Maybe. It's kind of a moot point, though, because I don't particularly care for anything Ruger makes.
View Quote

The P90, P89, P94, and P95 are excellent pistols for the money.  I have one of each as well as my two Sigs.  Dollar for dollar, the Rugers can't be beat.  The Sigs are better, but for $200-300 more they should be.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#34]
About the best carry gun I've ever seen is the HKUSP Compact in .357Sig or .45 if you don't like exotics.

Compacts are the way to go given the 10 round restriction.

If you must get a full size get an older model where prebans are plentiful. For my HKUSP highcaps are about $100.00 compared to my Beretta M9 where high caps are $45.00.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Ohhh, I remember reading about you and
the SIG P226.
Always buy what you [i]really[/i] want
and have performed well with.

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
All those in your list are fine choices, but perhaps... may I suggest the CZ75B in .40?
View Quote

I saw this at the range a few weeks ago...nice looking piece.  It feels like a Beretta, but does it fire as well?

Quoted:

Say, JewBoy, I noticed ol'Piccolo on your signature picture.  What's your power level now?
View Quote

I figure I'm about 85 or so, maybe 100 when I graduate.  All the old crew entered the original World Tournament at around 150, so I suppose I'm about that good.  I can't fire ki outta my hands yet, but I'll settle for about 10 rounds of .40S&W.  Jew (bonds with) Piccolo = [b]Jewmiccolo![/b]

Quoted:
Since you`re looking for a range gun or "glove box carry",may I humbly suggest the Browning Hi Power in .40 S&W or the paraordnance P-16?
View Quote

Heard many good things about the Hi-Power.  Will definately add it to the list, about how much $$$$ do these things run?

Quoted:
Jewbroni,

Although I always promote HK USPs, from what I gather, you are a student on a budget.  Am I Right? (or have I completely misread you?)
View Quote

Nope, you're right on the money.  I'm joining the AF National Guard this Winter, and I'll get outta tech school in the Summer.  So, in about 1 year I'll receive $4k of my $8k bonus, which I plan on using to buy a handgun and a DCM AR-upper with.  Oh by the way, we still need to get together on a range in Mobile sometime, I should be down there sometime near the end of the summer.  Bring some of your 'toys' (including that USP-Compact!) that you might be willing to let me try out, and I'll go buy a few boxes of .40 [;)]

Quoted:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Beretta's yet...
I've got 2 of 'em...
My wife loves to shoot our 92FS in 9MM & I shoot the 96FS in .40 cal...

Full size Beretta's have the right "feel" to me...
They're very simple to field strip, and reliable as an AK-47...
View Quote

Sounds like a good choice, the 96FS that is.  Does it have the same feel as the 92F(S)?  I like them, and if so, will consider it.

Keep em coming, guys.  I like the suggestions so far, I'll add them to my list.  Oh, and I like the "buy the Airsoft versions" idea, that's about the only way I can think of for REALLY getting a feel for all of these pistols.  Can anybody else back up that statement as valid?

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Aside from the caliber the 96 and the 92 are the same.  Looking at your original list I'd consider the Beretta 96 before a Sig because of cost.  I also like both the Beretta & Sig over the Ruger because the 96 & 229 can be converted to 9mm with a simple 9mm conversion barrel.  I also prefer the Beretta & the Sig 229 because they accept hi-caps (pre-ban mags are available for both in 9mm & .40).

About the Rugers, the P94 is a good gun from everything I've heard but I'd rather have the 95 (9mm) because of hi-cap availability.

The gentleman that mentioned the CZ75 is right, it's one you might want to look at too.  The CZ75 has a happy following.  As for the HS 2000, I personally think it has too much!  My uncle recently purchased one and has had a few jams but that may have been from limp wristing it.  HS 2000 has no pre-ban mags but I heard Beretta 92/M9 mags can be converted.

Have you tried both grip styles of the Glock??  Glock is my choice (G23), the hi-cap mag situation is so much better with the 9mm & .40 Glocks.

Do you get the main thing I'm saying here?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I have owned handguns in 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp. I have owned a number of 1911's and I have had a couple of jams with them. I worked in a very large gun shop handling thousands of guns. I have had 2 Beretta 96's both of which jammed and the odds of a Beretta jamming is just about as likely as me dating Angelina Jolie.
Unless you are convinced that the 40 is the only thing for you I would suggest another caliber. I originally liked the caliber but it never performed anywhere near my 9's or 45's. We had similar results with the ones we sold.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sounds like a good choice, the 96FS that is.  Does it have the same feel as the 92F(S)?  I like them, and if so, will consider it.

View Quote

The Beretta 96FS is identical to the 92FS...Only difference is the caliber...

My carry ammo is Federal Classic, 155gr. Hi-shok JHP's...

1140 FPS @ muzzle
445 Ft.-Lbs energy @ muzzle

1080 FPS @ 25 Yds
400 Ft.-Lbs energy @ 25 Yds

Not too shabby...
Actually I think it's better PD ammo than their "Gold" PD "Hydra-shok" ammo, at 1/2 the cost...  

I found a set of NEW factory Beretta rubber grip panels, while rummaging through a box of junk at my dealer's shop...
I put them on the .40 to make it look a little different from the wife's 9MM, to avoid grabbing the wrong gun on the way to the range...

Best advice, like others said...
Go to the gun shop and fondle a few different guns...
You'll know right away which one is for you...

With the ergonomics of an AR and reliability of an AK, my Beretta's are definate keepers...

I expect them to outlive me...  

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for all the input guys.  I do believe, from the quality-testimonials, price, and accuracy, that I'll end up going with an...

..[i]HS2000[/i].
In fact, after another 2-3 months of paychecks and/or drill pay, I'll have enough cash (around $350, for the pistol, some hi-caps, and maybe a can of ammo) to buy the thing.  Certainly for a "first pistol", it sounds like a winner...has to be if it gets all the Glock guys angry! [;)]

Now, from what I hear on another recent post, is that when the .40S&W comes out around Sept. (about the time I'll have the cash for it), the prices are supposed to jump - had to happen sometime I assume.  Now, I do like the 9mm round fairly well, and will get one of these if all else fails, but how feasible is it a situation to receive a fresh .40cal HS2000 for about the $300 I expected to pay for it's 9mm counterpart?  I've given some serious consideration over the past week into this gun, and plan on finding one soon (maybe at a gunshop) to at least hold and see if I like its feel.

Quoted:

Unless you are convinced that the 40 is the only thing for you I would suggest another caliber. I originally liked the caliber but it never performed anywhere near my 9's or 45's. We had similar results with the ones we sold.
View Quote

Is this true?  I know hardly anything about handgun ammunition, except the relative load behind and type of the bullet...accuracy, I'm ignorant of.  After the feel of the gun, accuracy of the load is next in importance - I never heard of .40 having lesser consistent accuracy.  Am I just better off going with a 9mm (despite its non-dramatic human stopping power), and being content with that?  I need some input please...

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
View Quote

Is this true?  I know hardly anything about handgun ammunition, except the relative load behind and type of the bullet...accuracy, I'm ignorant of.  After the feel of the gun, accuracy of the load is next in importance - I never heard of .40 having lesser consistent accuracy.  Am I just better off going with a 9mm (despite its non-dramatic human stopping power), and being content with that?  I need some input please...
View Quote

I disagree, I'm not going to get in a war over it but there are a lot of factors to consider with comparing 9mm/.40/.45.  

Jewbroni, I am a diehard .40 fan but I have one thing to say about 9mm - [b]It's all about ammo choice![/b]  9mm ammo has changed in recent years, my favorite 9mm load is Winchester's L.E. load 'Ranger 127gr. +P+ SXT' which can be found on the open market. The Win. 127gr. load is a very effective choice.  Also available are +P+ loads from Fed. Hydra-Shok and Speer Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I have one last suggestion that may work well for you, Jewbroni.
You've stated that you'll be in the USAF.
You have the correct rifle/caliber in the AR15/.223 for military compatability and training purposes.
Why not just get the Beretta 92 in 9mm and have the sidearm, too?
There are so many 92's in the Military and Police circles that you'll be able to find one for a decent price and can probably find some 15-rd. magazines as well.
Hot 9mm is "killer" ammo.  The Beretta 92 is reliable in the extreme.
Very hard combination to beat, period.
You'll now have the current Military combination and a chance to cut out any transition training.
That's my last, best vote for you.
Getta Beretta.  Only get the model 92.
Good shooting.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Be patient. Get together with some other gun owners, we love to "convert" a new guy to our brand. Go to a range that rents 'em if you can. Shoot everything you can get your hands on. I spent a lot of money on guns I just knew were gonna be the perfect one, only to hate it after a couple of dissappointing range trips. Don't limit your caliber choices by what you read here or in magazines, I am a dyed in the wool .45 guy, but I am not ashamed to admit i am too big a sissy for .44mag.Take your time and get the right choice for you.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have one last suggestion that may work well for you, Jewbroni.
You have the correct rifle/caliber in the AR15/.223 for military compatability and training purposes.
There are so many 92's in the Military and Police circles that you'll be able to find one for a decent price and can probably find some 15-rd. magazines as well.
Hot 9mm is "killer" ammo.  The Beretta 92 is reliable in the extreme.
Very hard combination to beat, period.
You'll now have the current Military combination and a chance to cut out any transition training.
That's my last, best vote for you.
Getta Beretta.  Only get the model 92.
Good shooting.
View Quote

I will say the Speer Gold Dot 9MM +P rounds are quite a bit hotter than the standard 9MM ball stuff...
I'd say it's pretty darn close to the same "kick" as my .40 cal stuff.
Sure as hell wouldn't want to get hit with one...
Also, has anyone mentioned yet that the 9MM & .40 cal. Beretta mags will interchange ???

I have 2 guns and 5 Hi-cap mags...
The .40 seems to be more sensitive to mags...only 4 of the 5 will work in it.
But, all 5 mags run 100% in the 9MM, even the one that won't run in the .40, works fine in the 9MM.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#47]
My best friend has a Sig Sauer P229 that he worships. It is the ultimate personal defense handgun for him at least. Never jams, dead on accurate. Plus, you can swap between .357 Sig or .40 cal via a barrel change. If conceal carry ever becomes legal in MO, he'll be the first one in line to carry his Sig. I've shot it at least 100 rounds, and it is a shooter. However, the grip is a little too small for me in terms of grip length, not width. My hands are large, and I like a full size grip. However, if you want a shooter and a conceal carry gun, the P229 is the way to go.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
About the Rugers, the P94 is a good gun from everything I've heard but I'd rather have the 95 (9mm) because of hi-cap availability.
View Quote
I suggested the P94 because he said he wanted a .40 and the P94 is available in .40 or 9mm.  The P95 is 9mm only.  However, the P95 and P94 9mm can use the same mags so either is capable of hi capacity.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, Yes, and Good point.  If the HS2000 is too much "like a Glock" for me, then the Beretta is one of the next in line.  I figured that I will more than likely get whatever I buy BEFORE i ship out to basic in about 5 months, so I'll want something cheap (i.e. not a Sig [:(]).

After looking at the CZ75 in 9mm, can anybody tell me if this feels/fires like a Beretta 92F?  It sure as hell looks similar, plus I like the idea of a switch-safety (at least as on my very first sidearm).  And I'll need to be familiar with the Beretta if I'm USAF.  Is the CZ more like a Hi-Power or a Beretta?  If the latter, I might move that to the top of my list...for now.

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#50]
The CZ75 feels more like the Hi-Power.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top