Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 6:50:18 PM EDT
I cant imagine the chaos if they will urinate and hurt each other for $50 laptops.  What will they do when gas keeps going up?

All I know is I am stocked up with lots of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Never happen.

We will have alternative fuel LONG before then.

Why?

Because we live in a capitalist society.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Gas will never be $50 a gallon.  At least not before they start getting crude out of shale.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I cant imagine the chaos if they will urinate and hurt each other for $50 laptops.  What will they do when gas keeps going up?

Most of the Michigan ARFCOM gang will be over to your house to help you use that ammo, that's what will happen!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
NOT ANOTHER WHINY GAS PRICE THREAD!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Never happen.

Why?

Sgat1r5

Never happen. Correct
We will have alternative fuel LONG before then. Most Likely
Why? Because we live in a capitalist society. Bingo

I say we get up to about $5 in the next 18 months....at that point, demand will drop off enough to make the prices unsustainable.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

We need a Bitch forum:  For all the bitchy type threads.  Or at least a Gas price forum.  I bet there are more gas/oil price threads daily than there ever were about Creation/Evolution.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Anybody ever see that show on FX called Oil Crisis or something like that?  I kind of wanted to see what sort of apocalypse awaits this world.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I just hope that they are going to open up the oil reserves we have in the Gulf of Mexico and in Alaska.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We need a Bitch forum:  For all the bitchy type threads.

We do...but if I link you to it I will get banned

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#10]
What happened to PeakOil?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Just wait till this fall when folks start complaining about the high cost of heating oil... can you say government subsidy???
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]
when gas is 50 bucks a gallon, i will be making at least a million bucks a year. . so it wont matter.

just keep it all in perspective.

think about this.. when gas is 50 bucks a gallon here, in europe and asia it will be at least 100 bucks a gallon and with their govnments they will be screwed big time..

i have always liked mules. when gas goes to 50, im gonna raise mules and export em to europe and asia at rediculous prices... especially to the french to whom i will only sell the most onery and foul beasts i produce....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never happen.

Why?

Sgat1r5

Never happen. Correct
We will have alternative fuel LONG before then. Most Likely
Why? Because we live in a capitalist society. Bingo

I say we get up to about $5 in the next 18 months....at that point, demand will drop off enough to make the prices unsustainable.

I disagree.  If the price goes up faster than we can get alternate fuel cars perfected (I don't think they are there yet), there would be an interim period that could be major trouble.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree frozen old people is going to have a bad political effect.  

Our boys are fighting and dying over the largest oil reserves in the world.  Fuck it and take it!  

All I can say is if GW stayed out of Iraq and we would be kissing $5 a gallon right now.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I think arfcom can take Venezuela.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It's not enough. BUY MORE!!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Our boys are fighting and dying over the largest oil reserves in the world.  Fuck it and take it!  

All I can say is if GW stayed out of Iraq and we would be kissing $5 a gallon right now.  

DU's over there.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not enough. BUY MORE!!!!

I have a case of 7.62 x 54r on its way.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DU's over there.....

Thats enough out of you young man.  Those thongs are getting too tight.  You might want to loosen them up some and restore the circulation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DU's over there.....

Thats enough out of you young man.  Those thongs are getting too tight.  You might want to loosen them up some and restore the circulation.

WTF?!

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#21]
At $5 per gal we should go the South African route and switch the whole country to hi ratio ethanol blends.   They perfected hi blends during the embargo as their supply was restricted.  A little less MPG but the cost concerns are probably long over at that point.  The only sticking points are really political, between Big Oil, ADM, and Congress.

Let's see: burns cleaner, we have a grain surplus, helps farmers and small towns, most (if not all) engines can be switched over very cheaply (give a tax credit for the cost of the switch, help mechanics aka small businesses), cuts our dependence on foreign oil and tells OPEC that we don't need them anymore.  Plus it's distributed through the same means using the same engines as used now.  No infrastructure change.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If the price goes up faster than we can get alternate fuel cars perfected (I don't think they are there yet), there would be an interim period that could be major trouble.  

Agreed, however I am not suggesting that alternative fuels are the only way around consumption.
I strongly beleive that people will simply engage in abstinence...if for no other reason, because they simply can no longer afford to drive a car with an internal combustion engine in it.

If anything, I expect to see more efficient engines start to make their way into the consumer market. The technology exists which will extract more miles from a gallon, it has yet to be implemented. Additionally, consumer will need to trade performance for practicality...it will be a major change of convention for many, but if the prices stretch beyond the grasp of the mean income level, what choice will people have?

This product will regulate itself through decreased demand....just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DU's over there.....

WTF?!

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#24]
How will the demand for gas ever go down?

People keep buying cars that get gas mileage like the boats of the 1960s.  But there are more people on the road now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Everyone in the US will be sitting back getting rich off the profitis of selling gas to the rest of the world @ $50.00 per gallon. Of course I'm assuming that the entire middle east is US territory and China, Russia and EU are our biggest customers bowing to our every whim BUHAAAAAAAAAA!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How will the demand for gas ever go down?

People keep buying cars that get gas mileage like the boats of the 1960s.  But there are more people on the road now.

Demand will decrease as gas prices increase at a rate higher than that of mean income.
If people cant afford gas, they wont use it.
Thus, decreased demand.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Biofuel cars are here. It's possible to run your (diesel) engine car (unmodified) on fuel made at home from vegetable oil  for $0.60 a gallon. The problem is that to run all the worlds cars on biofuels would require twice as much land used for agriculture. The solution could be genetically engineering plants (corn/soy beans) specifically to produce as much vegetable oil as possible.

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#28]
The prices will rise until the poor driving people stop driving.  Too many people on the road that do not belong there.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
At $5 per gal we should go the South African route and switch the whole country to hi ratio ethanol blends.   They perfected hi blends during the embargo as their supply was restricted.  A little less MPG but the cost concerns are probably long over at that point.  The only sticking points are really political, between Big Oil, ADM, and Congress.

Let's see: burns cleaner, we have a grain surplus, helps farmers and small towns, most (if not all) engines can be switched over very cheaply (give a tax credit for the cost of the switch, help mechanics aka small businesses), cuts our dependence on foreign oil and tells OPEC that we don't need them anymore.  Plus it's distributed through the same means using the same engines as used now.  No infrastructure change.

+1
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Biofuel cars are here. It's possible to run your (diesel) engine car (unmodified) on fuel made at home from vegetable oil  for $0.60 a gallon. The problem is that to run all the worlds cars on biofuels would require twice as much land used for agriculture. The solution could be genetically engineering plants (corn/soy beans) specifically to produce as much vegetable oil as possible.

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html

The only reason you are getting prices that cheap is because you are getting basically free (scrap) raw oil.  If you had to pay for the growing, pay for the conversion and pay for the shipment of the oil, it would cost you several dollars per gallon.  Right now the waste stuff from resturants is free, to you, because they already paid all the costs of it.  If you had to pay to get the veggie oil at $1.50 a gallon, then that extra $0.60 per gallon ready-to-use, then you are back above the $2 mark.

How much is refined veggie oil anyway?  I bet it is well over a buck per gallon.  Look at the cheap stuff at Walmart.  It isn't free, and you are burning a LOT of it to drive off a tank of bio-diesel.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The prices will rise until the poor driving people stop driving.  Too many people on the road that do not belong there.

What does that mean?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that mean?

Driving regulations have been relaxed to the point mastery of the language of the land is no longer required.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I constantly see people driving 10 MPH lower than the posted limit IN THE LEFT LANE THAT IS CLEARLY MARKED "LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY".  

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that mean?

People with no license. People with suspended license.  People with license that don't deserve to have them.  People that have no clue how to operate a 5000 lb hunk of metal connected to a gas-engine.  I could go on and on and on.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that mean?

People with no license. People with suspended license.  People with license that don't deserve to have them.  People that have no clue how to operate a 5000 lb hunk of metal connected to a gas-engine.  I could go on and on and on.  

I fail to see a connection between those and rising oil prices. I'll wait for Keith_J's explanation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Never happen.

Why?

Sgat1r5

+1
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that mean?

I fail to see a connection between those and rising oil prices. I'll wait for Keith_J's explanation.

Too many consumers.  Too many people using the road ways for recreation, not treating it as a necessary component of our economy.  Too many anti-social drivers, not willing to SHARE the road but rather CLOG the road because that is how they want to drive.  Too many people not following the RULES of the road.

Get the bottom 5% of the drivers off the roads and gas will drop below $2 a gallon.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

plus one
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Actually the real question is at what price will gas be too expensive for us to keep wasting it on personal transportation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that mean?

It means that either he is an elitist prick that thinks the poor shouldnt be allowed to drive, or that he thinks others are collaborating to keep the poor off the road.

In someways though I think the latter makes sense.

Back in the day when there was actual gas shortages, the prices went up but there actually was no or little gas for people.

However now the prices have gone up, but we arent actually seeing rationing or shortages. Which would lead one to believe that there really isnt a shortage.

That is not to say that I dont believe that oil is a finite resource.

Also I dont think there are too many poor people driving causing traffic problems, I do however think there are just plain too many people period. It doesnt matter if you are rich, middle class, or poor the world could use a good culling, but It would be absolutely wrong for a government or any goverment to systematically do so.

I really do hate is when the government or people cry bitch and moan that we need to do things because if it just saves one person its worth it, because it obviously isnt, we've got too many people.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

There are plenty of rich white girls with mommy and daddy's money that are horrible drivers too.

The rich can usually afford to be bad drivers, compared to those less well off.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#41]
When gas is $50 a gallon, I imagine I'll be riding a bicycle to work.  Maybe an efficient motorcycle if I';m making good money.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah I guess John Titor was right, so far atleast about the bicycle thing.

I need to learn how to ride one, I was deprived as a child and never learned.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm sure they would have made a motorcycle that gets at least 100 mils to the gallon.

If that was to happen then you would notice that there would be alternative fuels to bring down the price of mostly straight gas fuels.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are plenty of rich white girls with mommy and daddy's money that are horrible drivers too.

The rich can usually afford to be bad drivers, compared to those less well off.

If their PARENTS can afford it, so be it.  Just because I could afford to eat Kobe steak 6 nights a week doesn't mean the price is too high for Joe Lunchbox because for him, skirt steak fills the bill.

I can bet we will see a lot of "petrol banking" in the future.  This is where people "buy" their fuel in advance when prices are low, using such "credits" during high prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top