BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2005 5:46:06 PM EDT
Hope this doesn't get moved to the EE.  

15-08-2005

South Korea is to sell supersonic fighters at $100 (101,000 won) per jet. It
may be hard to believe, but it's no lie.

The fighter jets to be sold at such a giveaway price are F-5A/Bs, which are
being retired from their 40-year-long service this month.

The Ministry of National Defense and Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) said
Sunday they considered selling the retired aircraft, which opened the era of
supersonic fighters for the Korean Air Force in 1965, to foreign nations
including Mexico and Poland.

``We have about 50 F-5A/B fighter jets at the moment, half of which are used
for educational and demonstrational purposes. The ministry will consider
selling the remaining half to foreign nations at $100 per unit,'' a KAI
official said. ``It's a nominal price.''

He hinted that the virtual donation is part of a sales strategy to export
KT-1 and T-50 supersonic trainers developed and produced by KAI to the
foreign nations. ``We have also sold F-5A/B fighters to the Philippines at
$100 each in the past.''

It is customary for a country to sell outdated military arms at a token
cost, a ministry official said. But the source added that the export
requires prior consent from the nation that manufactured the weapons.

The F-5A/B jets were made in the United States.

South Korea purchased about 120 F-5A/B fighter jets in the late 1960s. They
became the mainstay of the Air Force and played a leading role in thwarting
espionage agents from North Korea until the 1970s.

JET WARBIRDS

• AVAILABLE FOR SALE •

Four CF-104 Starfighter aircraft are availble for sale.

Two aircraft, with very little corrosion, being approximately 95% complete, including an engine,  are capable of being made airworthy.

The remaining two are only suitable for static display.

These aircraft, having been manufactured in Canada, are able to be imported into the USA.

Specifications and photographs will be emailed upon request.

Contact Barry R. Johnson

SIGNIFICANT MILITARY AIRCRAFT CORPORATION
Brampton, ON Canada
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure this isn't along the same lines of some director of finace in Africa?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Do they take paypal?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always wanted a Starfighter, but how can you pass up that price on an F-5?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do they take paypal?

- NO, you know the Koreans are all about customer service and hate passing that 3% upcharge on to the consumer. Plus they really hate the ANTI-GUN stance that Paypal has taken....

I was bummed out to find they didn't take Paypal a few months ago when I was ordering some Korean prostitutes for a birthday gift. Here I am, sitting at my PC with the Shopping CART packed tight with asian ass and then I get to the checkout and NO PAYpal...you can imagine my dismay.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
What does JP8 cost these days anyway?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
bump for the night crew
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't suppose individuals could buy those?

INdividuals in the US do privately own jet fighters (usually without guns, obviously).

Problem is that fuel, maintenance, etc. is INSANELY expensive - as is making them airworthy usually.

I believe there are several F-104 Starfighters in private hands.  I'd give my left nut for one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I WANNA STARFIGHTER!!!!!

Every since I was a wee lad...Always, always wanted a Starfighter.

Something about that F104 profile...just kinda makes me all jiggly inside.

Even if it does handle like a tobbogan at slow speeds...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was 4 I remember going to a Korean Air Force base and sitting in one of those F5s.  It was relatively small compared to the monsters we use now.  I remember there being carpeting on the floor of the F-5 and not bare metal.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll take 2 F-5 and 1 F104.  Are there enough Arfcomers to buy up the whole lot?  We can have our own Group.  Guy with the most planes becomes Wing Commander/WingCo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

INdividuals in the US do privately own jet fighters (usually without guns, obviously).

Problem is that fuel, maintenance, etc. is INSANELY expensive - as is making them airworthy usually.

I believe there are several F-104 Starfighters in private hands.  I'd give my left nut for one.

There is a private company out there that has a one-seat and a two-seat Starfighters.  I saw them fly at an airshow before the Thunderbirds.   Ever since I was a boy I have wanted to see one fly.  The desire got even bigger when I saw the one hanging in teh Nat'l Air and Space Museum.

When those birds did a low, high-speed pass.  I honestly, truly got tears in my eyes and a hard lump in my throat.  They are a thing of power and beauty.  Breathtaking.

And you can get a ride in one if you look hard enough.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn guys, if we buy those jets, we could start an ARFCOM Air Force, take care of the borders, and also be ready for any future zombie problems. I'm in

A high speed pass by an F-104 is the Shizzzzz
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

When I was a kid, the Danish air force used F-104 Starfighters and Saab Drakens.  I love both those planes !  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I could maintain the Instruments systems on the F5.  :)

Used to work on the T-38...  Now I just need to find some Engine hawgs and spark chasers, etc...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was a kid, the Danish air force used F-104 Starfighters and Saab Drakens.  I love both those planes !  

Yep! Especially since my ol' man had a letter of intent to come back to the Danish Air Force to fly F-104's!(He was trained at Perrin AFB in USAF intercept tactics)!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup. Let's do a group buy. I say we take all 50 F-5s and start a pilot and ground crew training program immediately. We can then send squadrons to TX, NM and AZ to help guard the border.

Now, where can we acquire some JP8, 20mm, Aim-9's, MK 82's and napalm at a good price?

I know, I bet ammoman could give us the hook-up!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Hell ya! Imagine the nightly news footage of a group out supersonic fighter jets chasing illegals and drug smugglers all over the desert!!!

Fukin git some doggy! YA!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't believe no one has posted a picture yet!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Lets do it, I can scrape the barrel and pull out enough dough to buy one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I will paypal one of you guys for mine.  now I just gotta get that pilot's license, since I know there is no way of me getting an avation commision in the USMC

Pat
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:32:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Well, I could maintain the Instruments systems on the F5.  :)

Used to work on the T-38...  Now I just need to find some Engine hawgs and spark chasers, etc...

Ex-rocket driver here,  price sounds right.   last time I talked with Chuck Thornton, he wanted 5 mil a piece.

I can get unlimited Jet-A for $3/gal,  free airstarts, cheap hangar

Have friends that can do engines and avionics,

there's a few gun pods and external tanks in the local scrap yards here.   I'm sure some Arfcommers can rig up a few more exotic weapons systems.

what else we need?

BTW, thems F-5As  is one-holers, prob good idea to get a few tubs for kamikaze lead-in training

Them honeycomb wings might be a bitch tho too.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:00:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if I can get Air Force to ship a couple of those F-5's with my baggage when I PCS from here.  Also wonder if the FOKAF will see me a couple of the F-5E's that they have here at Kunsan, they are a lot more capable acft .

I'll be the ARFCOM Air Force crew chief.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:22:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Since the mission was so urgent, we didn't have time to properly paint the aircraft, so we just spray painted over the original markings for now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:49:56 AM EDT
[#26]

BTW, before anyone comes unhinged here, this is just a joke...you know, not to be taken seriously. I don't actually hate Mexicans or anything. In fact, I have friends that are Mexican. So please don't take me as some evil racist. I am an equal opportunity "make fun of er". I spare no one.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would give my left nut for an F-22.... but not an F-104
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:29:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is one you can paint up Charging Handle. Get those evil canadian markings off it.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Awwww man, I think that little session of playing with Paint has hooked me. Now I need to get PhotoShop so as my future funnies can be of higher quality than something a 5 year old might create.  But yeah, I can see why that hobby can become addicting. Hehe.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:44:21 AM EDT
[#30]
That's just what the wife would want me to bring home.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#31]
There's a guy down here based at Williams Gateway Airport in Mesa that has a 2 seat F-104.

He sells rides.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
That's just what the wife would want me to bring home.

Use it as a means to an end. See, if you start bringing home fighter jets, she will no longer think your gun buying addiction is so bad. Then you can agree to give up the jet collecting hobby if she'll agree to let you buy all the guns you want without any opposition. Considering the guns will cost more than these $100 surplus aircraft, you win big! Twice!

Ahhhhhhhh, I think I will handle marriage well....whenever it finally happens. LOL.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I used to fly F5E's in the USAF so do I get to be Sq. Commander? F5 is an easy jet to fly and relatively easy to maintain. I'd love to have a couple as long as someone else was paying for the gas.

Maybe we could get a contract with the Minutemen.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I used to fly F5E's in the USAF so do I get to be Sq. Commander? F5 is an easy jet to fly and relatively easy to maintain. I'd love to have a couple as long as someone else was paying for the gas.

Maybe we could get a contract with the Minutemen.

Yup, I think that qualifies you not just as squadron commander, but the commander of the whole damn wing. You'll just have to teach the rest of us how to fly the damn things. Haha.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know a couple guys who own a couple of those French V-tail trainers. They got 4 restored and airworthy and use them for Missing Man formations. Take about a heart-ripper!
Actually, I noted the article said they were for sale to nations, and that begged the question.

As usual, my reading comprehension sucks!!  

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#36]
I think Rodent would be a good canidate for the AR15.com Air Force as Squadron Commander
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I think Rodent would be a good canidate for the AR15.com Air Force as Squadron Commander

+1

And his stewardess friend could serve snacks in the two-seater F-104's

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

And his stewardess friend could serve snacks in the two-seater F-104's

Agreed
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#39]
If Turd World countries can fly the F5, we sure as hell can! I'm just trying to figure out how to get the state and federal 'gubments off our backs. Maybe we can register them as imported Korean kit planes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:08:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#42]
The F-104 really is a sexy, sleek aircraft. I'd love to have one parked on my front lawn as a display piece.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#43]
well, the Starfighter is nice enough but I want to hold out for the F-86 "Saber" jet!  Now THERE was a commie killer par excelence!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
well, the Starfighter is nice enough but I want to hold out for the F-86 "Saber" jet!  Now THERE was a commie killer par excelence!

Mig Mad Marine was up for sale last time I looked.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Here's my personal favorite of the Century Series fighters:

The Republic F-105 Thunderchief

The F-105 was powerful, fast and God awful LOUD!

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#46]
sweeeeet !where do i sign up for the "scrub brush"air force  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#47]

The RoKAF needs to set up a paypal account

I really want one of those F5s
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#48]
The reason they are $100 is because they will need extensive overhauls before they are going be able to fly safely.  We are talking 40+ years old planes.  They will need a thorough going over.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#49]

^^ Probably one of the planes for sale

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
The reason they are $100 is because they will need extensive overhauls before they are going be able to fly safely.  We are talking 40+ years old planes.  They will need a thorough going over.

For a hunderd bucks I could afford a couple of cann birds.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top