Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2005 3:57:15 PM EDT
I try not to tell other adults what to do, but when I go out to lunch with some of the guys from work, and I drive, a couple don't want to wear seatbelts, even in the front seat.  I don't want someone launching through my windshield on my conscience, so I always ask them to politely put their seatbelts on.

I don't even think seatbelts should be mandatory, I just want people to wear them in MY car.  When I am in other cars as a passenger I won't mention a thing.

Do you tell other adults in your car to put their seatbelts on?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Ofcourse.

If I get pulled over I get a ticket for THEM not wearing a seatbelt.  If it weren't about the law I'd let them be as stupid as they wanted about being unsafe in the car.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, No arguments, Walk if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Down here, if you're riding with me, and you don't have a seatbelt on, I get the ticket.  Screw that, I ain't getting a ticket!

My younger sister's first roomate in college didn't like wearing seatbelts.  I went up and helped them move into an apartment, and she rode with me in my truck over to the apartment.  When I got in, she didn't buckle up, so I told her to put her seatbelt on.  She says "why, don't you trust in your driving ability?"

I replied "I trust mine, but I don't trust everyone else's!"

She put on the seatbelt.  Not sure if she really thought about it and started wearing hers...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I insist that everyone buckle up before I start the engine. I've been doing this since 1968, even before the current seatbelt regs and laws. Because you never know.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, or they don't get in, PERIOD!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Down here, if you're riding with me, and you don't have a seatbelt on, I get the ticket.  Screw that, I ain't getting a ticket!

My younger sister's first roomate in college didn't like wearing seatbelts.  I went up and helped them move into an apartment, and she rode with me in my truck over to the apartment.  When I got in, she didn't buckle up, so I told her to put her seatbelt on.  She says "why, don't you trust in your driving ability?"

I replied "I trust mine, but I don't trust everyone else's!"

She put on the seatbelt.  Not sure if she really thought about it and started wearing hers...

Did you score?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes. Ride in my truck, my rules.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]
My truck has a bell that rings if you dont buckle up.  I hate that damn bell.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
My car doesn't get out of "park" until the belts are all on.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Always
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#11]
My ass if you don't.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Always
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't normally tell an adult to buckle up, but my car keeps dinging at me if someone is unbuckled.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#14]
The car doesn't move until everybody is belted.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#15]
HELL YES!

Otherwise they can walk.

No wearing a seatbelt is just stupid.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
In this state you cannot ticket an adult driver for allowing an adult passenger to ride unbuckled.  But following an accident the unbuckled passenger can sue the shit out the the driver for his medical bills.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Only the ones that aren't walking.

You pay for the passenger medical insurance.  If the passenger injuries exceed the coverage and you lose your house because of no seatbelts, and that is OK with you, outstanding.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#18]
They know how I drive (or soon find out) and realize that the belt is a requirement for them staying within the confines of the front or back (read: where ever they start out at)
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Click it or ticket. Its the law!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yes, or they don't get in, PERIOD!

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Only the ones that aren't walking.

You pay for the passenger medical insurance.  If the passenger injuries exceed the coverage and you lose your house because of no seatbelts, and that is OK with you, outstanding.

Yep.  My step sister was the passenger in a car driven by her boyfriend.  they had borrowed the car from  her mother.  Boyfriend lost control and crashed into the guardrail.  My step sister was hospitalized and racked up huge hospital and physical thearapy bills.  Guess who got sued...her mother and her boyfriend.  Her mothers insurance company settled and maybe in 10 years her rates will come back down.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Besides their safety...Your safety is in danger too.  What the fuck do you think happens when you get in a crash and your buddy isn't wearing his seatbelt??  His body is going to become a projectile.  I was in a crash and my buddy wasn't wearing his seatbelt and he was flailing around in the cab of his truck like a rag doll.  Most of my bruises were from his arms and upper body slamming into me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, I do.

The car does not move until everyone has a seatbelt on.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#24]
What if some really big man or woman got in your car and the belt didn't fit?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Like obese people?

They can walk then.  It will do them some good.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Nope, but I generally don't drive people around.
And that dumbassed "click it or ticket" campaign is bullshit.  The .gov shouldn't be playing nanny.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
And that dumbassed "click it or ticket" campaign is bullshit.  The .gov shouldn't be playing nanny.

Aren't you the fella whose SUV ended up in a rollover or a ditch a couple of months ago?

[ETA]  I may have yo8u confused with another guy who has "Baclk Rifle" in his screen name.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yes, No arguments, Walk if you don't like it.

+1
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#32]
They get the ticket not me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't wear one, I don't care if anyone else does either, Hell, I turned off all my airbags too, just more crap I don't need in  a work truck
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aren't you the fella whose SUV ended up in a rollover or a ditch a couple of months ago?

[ETA]  I may have yo8u confused with another guy who has "Baclk Rifle" in his screen name.  

Not me.  I hate SUVs, and will never drive one  I say if you want to haul people, buy a van, if you want to haul stuff, buy a truck, and if you want to haul both, get one of each.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#35]
My car has an annoying alarm that goes off if they dont.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#36]
There isn't a person alive who would ride with me without putting their seat belt on. My SO has also requested to wear a helmet on occasion too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

You need to start wearing it. THe reason its the law is because it can save your life.

Wear your harness, follow the road laws and be safe. Click it or ticket
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ofcourse.

If I get pulled over I get a ticket for THEM not wearing a seatbelt.  If it weren't about the law I'd let them be as stupid as they wanted about being unsafe in the car.

I believe in California if they're of age it's their ticket.

I think this is current.

(V.C. 27315) Drivers and passengers 16 or older  

must wear vehicle safety belts. The driver may be ticketed for not wearing a belt and for each unbuckled passenger. Fine is $22* per person. Passengers also may be ticketed for not being correctly buckled up.

(V.C. 23116) Pickup truck passengers  

also must be correctly buckled up. The driver may be ticketed for letting passengers ride in the back of a pickup truck. Passengers also may be ticketed for not being correctly buckled up. The cost of a ticket could be $160* or more for each unbuckled occupant. No exemption for camper shells.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The belts fits...they just don't want to wear it.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Yup.  You don't buckle up, you don't ride.  It's that simple.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Law or no law, anyone riding in my car wears a seatbelt.  If they don't want to, they can find another mode of transportation.  Not subject to debate.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes I tell them to buckle up or we don't move.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Not me.  I hate SUVs, and will never drive one  I say if you want to haul people, buy a van, if you want to haul stuff, buy a truck, and if you want to haul both, get one of each.  

Or, you could get a crew cab pickup.  Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Yes. Ride in my trunk, my rules.

That's a big 10-4.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#46]
About 20 years ago, I stopped to render first aid at two seperate traffic accidents within about a year of each other.  Both vics were women; one 34 and one 54.  

In the case of the younger woman, she flew out of her spinning, tumbling car...because she was not belted in.  We got her breathing again, but with all of her ribs crushed (I could feel them as I was doing chest compressions! ) and half her face gone, I figured ours was a lost cause.  She made it to the ER but died four hours later.

In the older woman's case, I took one look and knew immediately that she was gone.  Her neck was clearly broken, there was a large contusion on her forehead where she had hit the windshield frame of her  Camaro, her body was almost on top of the steering column which was bent from the impact of her body, and she had multiple compound fractures of her lower legs....but no blood.  I assume that she died instantly from either the broken neck or the massive crushing blow of the steering column on her chest.   I noted also that her seatbelt was fully retracted.

The drunk that killed her was upside down in a ditch, in his Honda Accord.  He had a broken nose...and was uncomfortable because he was upside down, hanging from his seatbelt.

I have never seen more graphic examples of why wearing belts is so important.  I'm sure those ladies just thought the belts were too restrictive...or they mussed their clothing...or they were simply uncomfortable.  On the other hand...that was little comfort to their loved ones.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Only if I have been drinking, or if I am going to drive really fast.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Put your seatbelt on, boy. I don't ride with anybody 'less they wear their seatbelt. It's one of my rules.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I don't wear one, I don't care if anyone else does either, Hell, I turned off all my airbags too, just more crap I don't need in  a work truck

Can I have your guns when you go tits up?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I prefer they did.  I don't want the ticket.  If you want to go skidding across the pavement, that's up to you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top