Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 3:34:51 PM EDT
granted, the sonic the hedgehog/pokemon spikey hair look and the bed head look have been "in" way too long, but why Mohawks?

I first started noticing it a few weeks ago.  this weekend half the guys in the local irsh pub had mohawks.  It's more common in the beach communities, but i'm seeing it even in conservative Irvine.  hell I even saw a little kifd about 3 years old wearing his hair that way...WTF?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if it has anything to do with the war and stuff, because the mohawk originated with the 101st AB in WWII, and technically you could say the mohawk is related to the typical high/tight haircut that is associated with the USMC.  I could be completely wrong, but that's my guess.  It would make sense, people were doing this stuff during and shortly after Vietnam (late 1970's and 1980's).  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#2]
There must be a MR "T" movie coming out soon.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I wonder if it has anything to do with the war and stuff, because the mohawk originated with the 101st AB in WWII, and technically you could say the mohawk is related to the typical high/tight haircut that is associated with the USMC.  I could be completely wrong, but that's my guess.  It would make sense, people were doing this stuff during and shortly after Vietnam (late 1970's and 1980's).  

I think the Army got it from somewhere else......
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
How about we rename it the "Hollywood Indian" haircut since no Mohawks in the early contact period used it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The only mohawk I've seen in over a decade was on Mr. T.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
[bubba]Well them there boys must not be from round here[/bubba]

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one as an child(3-5), but I'm an Indian.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#8]
ezinearticles.com/?5-Hot-Hair-Style-Trends-For-2005&id=13663

Mohawks and Faux-Hawks - A hot trend for both guys and gals, the mohawk will be settlin' in for a good spell. This look is immensely versatile, possible to mimic on any hair length. If your hair is short, use a wax or gel and simply direct it forward and up in the center. For a temporary mohawk on longer lengths, back comb a rectangular section from your front hairline to your crown. Slick the sides down close to your head, either behind the ears or secure these sections straight back and underneath the back sections. Instant faux-hawk...hair today...gone tomorrow!

A tad more commitment is required to achieve an authentic mohawk look. You'll need to have your stylist trim up the sides and back/sides, leaving a "peak" of length down the center of the head (obviously), otherwise, it'll be difficult to create the classic mohawk shape.

Make a trend your own by incorporating elements from one or two of the above influences. Keep your hair type, face shape, and lifestyle in mind when choosing a new hair style. Just because a mohawk is in style doesn't mean you're an automatic candidate to sport one. If you have a long or diamond shaped face, a full-on mohawk would be a disaster. (Unless you're going for the "pointy head" look, which is doubtful.)

If you like to experiment, stick with the trends that don't require alot of commitment with the haircut. The Hollywood Glamour look, the faux-hawk, and the new mod are good options for this because they can easily be changed the next day.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Bring back the mullet.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
One of the guys at work has a semi-mohawk, #1 on the sides and part of the top, and then a 2" wide strip cut with a #2.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What are the current military regs regarding Mohawks? Isn't there a rule against extreme or unusual hairstyles?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the Army got it from somewhere else......

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Eh,

I hadn't noticed.  Back when I was in highschool our whole football team got mohawks as a sign of unity.

I don't really think this is a new phenomena.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Very Metal

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Bring back the mullet.

especially on girls!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Dear Lord, tell me you're joking.

I bet you think sitting indian style was a trend that hippies thought up so they could sit closer together to pass the joint around the drum circle with more ease.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bring back the mullet.

especially on girls!

Dikes dig em'
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I saw my first authentic punk mohawk (spiked, dyed bright red, no less) 25 years ago.  Things like this come back like all fashions do.  We just have to watch out for the return of leisure suits.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I had one... 10 years ago...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

SOunds good to me.  Was my first thought.

If you look at a lot of the clothes lately, camo & tactical look have crept into it.

Guess the prima donna athletes and ghetto idiots know who the REAL MEN & WOMEN ARE.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I bet you think sitting indian style was a trend that hippies thought up so they could sit closer together to pass the joint around the drum circle with more ease.

It wasn't?  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#23]
All they need is this T-Shirt
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#24]
.....Because Sniper_Wolfe has one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I lived in Linda Vista, a suburb of San Diego in the 50's.  A kid there had one who was the catcher on the high school baseball team.  He also had a bike with a car steering wheel.  Seemed cool at the time.

19                        52

In the Headlines

US President: Harry S. Truman
          US Vice President: Alben W. Barkley

Ike gets elected!

Elizabeth is crowned Queen of England

Puerto Rico becomes a self-governing US Commonwealth.

The hydrogen or H-bomb is exploded in the South Pacific.

American Bandstand debuts.

Mohawk haircuts come in style.

Dragnet captures the attention of TV viewers.

MAD magazine makes its debut.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
He also had a bike with a car steering wheel.  Seemed cool at the time.

I remember those in the mid-60s.  I almost asked my parents to buy me one, but they went out of style shortly thereafter.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Techinically, it is a "Fohawk"...or somethin according to my GF.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/JordanBowles/woot.jpg

That's not a mohawk! That's your forehead flanking your scalp!

All I know is, the next idiot with that fucking unkempt look that spouts off about how green day started punk is gonna taste my boot!

GT
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I had one in '88.  They're hardly new.  Most of the ones I see now aren't even real mohawks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:59:39 AM EDT
[#30]
'Is there a problem here"?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
'Is there a problem here"?

www.cinevision.be/taxi1.jpg

no man!   not at all!  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Had one in football 92-94. Mohawks are cool, however I don't think I could pull it off with current occupation, banker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top