Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 3:08:43 PM EDT
Take for you as a newly divorced person. To get back on your feet financially ? In which order did you work your priorities to pay off tha bills.?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Took me about 2-3 years. But the initial damage was huge. So it will take many years to recover if ever.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
About ten seconds. My wife was spending all my money.
Once that stopped I was fine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
About ten seconds. My wife was spending all my money.

same here, after i left her, things started getting much better, been DIVORCED  since june 24th and it's only getting better, however, she has already been arrested for passing bad checks, so has her POS new boyfriend...Aint Karma a BITCH..hehehehe
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Took me about three years (part of that, working three jobs) to get solvent again. Still bitter about the sometimes 20 hour work days.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Nearly three years to get back to net worth = $0.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I don’t know but I have heard that it generally takes as many years as you were married.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
About ten seconds. My wife husband was spending all my money.

same here, after i left her, things started getting much better, been DIVORCED  since june 24th and it's only getting better, however, she has already been arrested for passing bad checks, so has her POS new boyfriend...Aint Karma a BITCH..hehehehe

And I have been divorced since June 23rd  He isn't as bad as Marc1979's former...but close.  Don't get me started on back child support...ugh...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#10]
only way at the time was to sell my Unimog.  With that money, I became debt free (-vehicle loan)  been building up since.

don't let it get you down, you will make it!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#11]

I am almost 4 years out of my divorce, went from a 2900 square foot house to a 800 square foot apartment, but my bills are still the same. It takes awhile................

Thank you for reminding me why I won't get married. I don't think I could take that kind of hit on my wallet. *gulp*
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmmm....

She got the house (with the mortgage ), contents (except for my personal stuff), 1 car, $10,000 cash, half of the $20k debt we had and $1,700 per month for the first 3+ years.

Child support after the 3 years was/is $1,165 per month.  My son will be 18 in July 2007, that cuts it in half.  My daughter will be 18 in February 2010.

I just crunched the numbers.  From the moment she said "I want a divorce" (1995) until my daughter turns 18 (2010) my total outlay will be a bit over 200 grand.  I have about 45 grand from now until I'm out of debt (so to speak) in regards to being married.

I've been extremely fortunate in that I've never really suffered financially (as in needing handouts, eating mac & cheese to meet my obligations) but it sure has reduced the possibilities in my life to this point.

Selling my house will finally bring me totally out of debt (I'm setting aside funds for child support up front) and once again give me complete freedom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top