Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 12:50:56 PM EDT
Got some time to kill...interesting read....

DARPA FUTURAMA LINAKGE
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Far out is where the really good shit is.

Besides, if we didn't dream the stuff up how would the Chinese ever be able to steal it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Too many words, not enough pictures.  Anyone care to summarize?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Far out is where the really good shit is.

Besides, if we didn't dream the stuff up how would the Chinese ever be able to steal it?

+1. When we first started with all the 'homeland security' dog and pnoy show, universities were bellyaching and cying about how the students that do all their research projects were foreign nationals and were having a tough time getting back in country adn to the classrooms. They were saying we'd loose our technological edge since we are so dependent upon all the foreign brain power.

What we don't give outright, we allow to be taken.

hman(whatching.our.nation.flushing.itself.down.the.towlet)jr
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Darpa is a great innovator but don't discount the various thinktanks under .gov contract to come up with or develop spooky shit.  The thinktanks that are in a non-descript building in the back of an office park that you drive by every day.  Thats where the REALLY cool stuff comes from.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I work under a DARPA contract. I like what I do. Right now we are testing new drugs and there affects for the pilots over there in harms way that have to fly 8-24 hours strait.

God Speed to them all
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, just remember that DARPA had a hand in bringing you the M-16. It was pretty "way out" at the time.

(IIRC they ran the first user trials in Vietnam during the early 1960's well before the big buildup of U.S. forces. In fact that's where the stories of "getting hit in the knee and coming out the shoulder" originated, a.k.a the "wonder bullet" theory)
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
FWIW, just remember that DARPA had a hand in bringing you the M-16. It was pretty "way out" at the time.

(IIRC they ran the first user trials in Vietnam during the early 1960's well before the big buildup of U.S. forces. In fact that's where the stories of "getting hit in the knee and coming out the shoulder" originated, a.k.a the "wonder bullet" theory)

I thought that it was called the "magic bullet" Oh, that was JFK
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I work under a DARPA contract. I like what I do. Right now we are testing new drugs and there affects for the pilots over there in harms way that have to fly 8-24 hours strait.

God Speed to them all

I guess, you meant "Good Speed to them all"..
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:53:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

God Speed to them all

I guess, you meant "Good Speed to them all"..

yeah, and that 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top