Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 12:40:19 PM EDT
I am in TX.  

We just started a small farm.  I need a truck to haul cattles.  I read a post yesterday about someone buying a truck and taking deduction.  I am not sure if I understand all of it.  So here are my specific question.

1.  If I buy a truck for x amount of dollars, can I take deduction for the farm the next year?
2.  What is the rate of depreciation.  If depreciation is 1/3, do a take deduction of 2/3 of x amount from the tax of next year + 1?
3.  When I buy stuff at Tractor Supply Company, I do not pay TX state sales tax.  If I buy from dealership, do I still get the same benefit?

Thanks bunch.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you tell the dealer to title the truck with "Farm Truck" plates, you do NOT have to pay sales tax at the time of purchase in Texas. If the dealer tries to tell you this is not possible, go somewhere else. Big city dealers simply do not want to deal with this. I know. Go to a rural dealer who knows the law. Most fleet salesmen can also assist you with the tax deduction if you qualify.

Be advised, it must be used for farm related use only. No crusin' for babes on a saturday night, or hauling the race car to the track twice a week.

Trust me, the DPS frowns on this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top