Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 12:38:43 PM EDT
Request some advice if anyone has experience with this so this doesn't turn into a 'hold my beer' incident when us city folks go blunder head long into this.

Co-worker of mine has is a problem with raccoons at his house. (house is in Dallas in the area of white rock lake) Claims 20ish of them are nesting under a gazebo in his backyard. The gazebo is 14'x14', raised about 1' off the ground and rests on a concrete slab.  It is boarded up on the sides, save one hole which is obviously how the critter get in and out of the area under the gazebo.

What is a good way to drive them out without killing them (ideally). (So he does not have to tear apart he gazebo to remove the bodies)

Thx,

J

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
toss some mothballs down there
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Tannerite.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Request some advice if anyone has experience with this so this doesn't turn into a 'hold my beer' incident when us city folks go blunder head long into this.

Co-worker of mine has is a problem with raccoons at his house. (house is in Dallas in the area of white rock lake) Claims 20ish of them are nesting under a gazebo in his backyard. The gazebo is 14'x14', raised about 1' off the ground and rests on a concrete slab.  It is boarded up on the sides, save one hole which is obviously how the critter get in and out of the area under the gazebo.

What is a good way to drive them out without killing them (ideally). (So he does not have to tear apart he gazebo to remove the bodies)

Thx,

J

Be careful, A raccoon can kill a large dog when it's being fucked with (as can a large opossum).  There are a couple of different ways...first you can try pissing under (should be interesting) and around your gazebo (I'm not kidding)...if that doesn't work try and locate coyote urine and shake that around the area (predator/prey kind of thing).  A friend used "ShakeAway" and that seems to work.  I live in Tn. and Raccoons are a protected animals...these are the things that have worked for farming friends of mine.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Have your friend call the Texas Wildlife Commission. He may also want to call local Animal Control.
I also live on the edge of White Rock lake and have raccoons visiting. There is no need to kill or injure these critters to chase them off or relocate them. IM or e-mail me if your friend has trouble getting assistance from gov't. agencies or a "rescue" group.
This is probably not the first website I would choose for suggestions for your friend. You'll probably receive a bunch of smart-ass "just shoot em'" responses. I hope I'm wrong. Ray
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
you can always live trap them.  catfood will usually bring them in, we have done it when one gets into our garden.  i know you said you didn't want to kill them, but i hear antifreeze will take care of them.  they seem to just lap that stuff up, just gotta be careful to keep all the other critters from drinkin it to.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If he doesn't want/isn't able to kill 'em, try a live trap and some patience.

Outside of that, I recommend calling Animal Control or Fish & Wildlife to come get 'em outta there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#7]
See is you can borrow a hog trap. Bait it with dog food and make them work to get the bait. After a few nites of them feeding in there spring the trap. Load the trap in the back of your truck and deliver them to a neighbors house.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#8]
If you know how they get in and out, make a one way door at the end of garbage can or something and stick it over the opening. That way they can all get out but can't get back  in. Use some bungee cords and thick plastic of something. Think of it as a heart valve or something. We did this with squirrels in my aunt's house.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Nothing is more annoying yet harmless to raccoons then bleach.  Put straight bleach in a sprayer and hose them down from above.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Being the enviromentalist that I am...

1. Go get some aluminum flex tubing, the kind you vent a clothes dryer with.
2. Back your car/truck up to the afore mentioned hole in the ground. (durring the day, as they are nocturnal)
3. Vent your exaust into the lair.  Leave it running for about 2 hours.
4. Sit back with a .22 and pick off those who come out for fresh air. (your vehicle should be at least 15' away thanks to the tube, so no worries.  Any bodies you were able to recover should just go out with the trash, in a plastic bag of course.

After that, pack a few bags of lime in the hole and cover it up.  The smell should be very minimal, and completely gone by winter.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#11]
DRAW DOWN ON THEM COON DOGS

get both
IBTL
pie
yadda, yadda, yadda

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#12]
At least you don't have a possum infestation. I killed 15 this past spring. They would try to eat our chickens, cat food, and shit in the garage if the door wasn't closed. Seemed like an almost nightly thing to have to go and kill one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I had coons and possums, and live-trapped them.  I don't have a shortage and the neighbors didn't mind if I made sure they didn't come back.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#14]
throw some dry ice bombs down there filled with nails. go in with a sponge and soak up the coons and move them to the garbage.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Thx,

J
The responses you've received so far are pretty much what I predicted. Mostly Joe Macho bullshit, not
much help.If your friend were to use a firearm around White Rock lake, he would be in some deep shit.
A mass of 20 dead raccoons is not something I'd want to be down wind of. The live trap option is one I would second. I believe Animal Control may provide them. As far as just making the area uninhabitable, bitter apple, etc.,. is a non-fatal option.The one-way door is also an excellent suggestion, just be sure the raccoons can get out. Ray

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top