Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 11:42:06 AM EDT
How far technology has come.

When I was in Jr. High I was pretty impressed by the pager technology of my fathers beeper in the early 80s and of course only people like doctors (such as my father) could afford or justify such things.

Driving past a bustop today and every kid had a cell phone up to his ear just like we all had walkmans in my day.

I was in McDonalds and some kids in front of me were sending photos to each other on their cell phones.

Just awed by the whole thing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
So you miss the days of the stone age?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, that's how it is nowadays.

Welcome to the future. Who knows what will be happening in 10 yrs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Trying to get some cheerleader's digits, huh?  

G
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#4]
wait till what is left of their brains are fried from decades of low-level RF exposure (not that one would be able to tell...)
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Cell phones are the best technilogical advancement we have had in the last 10 years.

To bad it is used as a toy.

95% of all cell phone calls are useless.  And they should be banned from cars, schools and any other place I am at.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not looking forward to my 9-year-old kid begging for a cell phone because "All my friends have one!".
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#7]
My 13 year old cousin had one.  No idea why his parents would spend $40-50 a month for a kid who doesnt have a job or a car or any other responsibilities that might require a cell phone.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#8]
On a family plan, another line is only $10/mo.
Many models also allow you to lock incoming and outgoing calls to only those listed in the address book, and then lock the address book. So what if little Johnny can only call Grandma and Aunt Sally?

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#9]

My children have cell phones.

I like that I can contact them when they are at their activities, over at friends houses, or just out in the neighborhood.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#10]
When my father made Sgt at our local PD, he broulght home one of those "phones in a box".  I remember thinking it was so cool, and how neat it would be to be able to carry a 15lbs phone around with you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm not looking forward to my 9-year-old kid begging for a cell phone because "All my friends have one!".

Hopefully the child knows that NO means NO, and not give in to whining.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I like that I can contact them when they are at their activities, over at friends houses, or just out in the neighborhood.  

While I might be inclined to jump in with the "no kid need a phone crowd" in the end it really is just technology. I can see both the advantages and disadvantages.

But I could be biased, after all I had a phone in MY ROOM when I was a kid in the late 70s.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the most annoying trait I've seen in just about every kid lately...

"Can I have it?" "No."
"Butttt I reallly wannnttt itttt.." "NO."
*kid pouts* "QUIT POUTING, you wanna go to bed early?"
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully the parent know that word also.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't imagine the sort of hell their teachers live in having to cope with the damn things going off while they're trying to teach.

In college, I had one professor who hated cell phones with a passion.  He had a sign up reminding the class to turn off their phones.  Never helped.  Someone ALWAYS left theirs on and got a call.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I might be inclined to jump in with the "no kid need a phone crowd" in the end it really is just technology. I can see both the advantages and disadvantages.

But I could be biased, after all I had a phone in MY ROOM when I was a kid in the late 70s.

Its funny, my kids don't really LIKE them. I insist that they take them when they go out. I can contact them if I need to, and they have no excuses for not letting me know if there is a change in their plans.  There have been so many times that they have had to call me because a practice was cancelled, or a carpool was late, etc. The phones are more for my peace of mind.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That is the most annoying trait I've seen in just about every kid lately...

"Can I have it?" "No."
"Butttt I reallly wannnttt itttt.." "NO."
*kid pouts* "QUIT POUTING, you wanna go to bed early?"

You ain't kidding.  My nephews are masters of the whine.  I didn't whine very much as a kid.  You do it once or twice, and then you get that evil look from your mother that says "If you don't shut up, you're going to have red stripes across your ass!"

Hopefully, once I finally have kids, they'll be better behaved than most kids nowadays.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So you miss the days of the stone age?

Absolutely. People used to talk to each other, not call the police.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Whats even more amazing is the absolute, total  inane bullshit conversations
these kids incessantly yak and drone on and on with them.
I thought kids these days can't be THAT stupid.
I was wrong.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a cell phone for a year when I was 20.  Let the contract expire and drop kicked the phone.

6 years later I don't really think I will ever want to have a phone again.  Ofcourse, I'm one of those guys who hates being on the phone in the first place.

What really gets my goat is when I am hanging out with friends or family and they start having long conversations with people on their cell.  I was out having dinner with my sister a few months back and she got a call.  No biggy, I'm thinking.  Just say "I'm having dinner, I'll call back later" and all will be well.  No, she proceeds to get into an involved convo with one of her bitchy drama queen friends.  I asked if I could say hi, she passed the phone, I said "She's call you back" hung up the phone, took out the battery and passed the phone back.

And I was the bad guy!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Wimp.

We had to climb the pole to use our phone.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Playing volleyball on Sunday, two young kids (not even junior high age) were toting around cell phones so their parents could monitor where they were in the park.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#24]
MY G/F TEACHES 5TH GRADE in a lower income suburb.  half the kids in her class get government funded breakfast and lunches, because their parents can't afford to buy them food, but 90% of the 5th graders all have cell phones

when i was in the 5th grade we hadn't landed on the moon,  no one had color tv
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#25]
SteyrAUG: BOTH my daughters were without cellphones last week. One phone lost. One phone died. Oh, the pain. Wife was fidgety as well. Couldn't get her yap-fix from them. But- we're back to normal. I refuse to get one and my wife is the only teacher at her elem school without one. I think her peers think she's subversive or something.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Great tools. We got one for my girlfriends oldest daughter. Its a prepaid one and she pays the minutes every month with her babysitting money. Its great because if the bus is late we can communicate. Also 911 is always available.

I am getting one for my 5th grader. Like I said a good tool to have, especially if you have kids. I used to avoid getting one because like early man who thought fire was bad, I decided it was time to progress and see the benefits.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm so glad we didn't have these when I was a kid.

When I left for the day I was GONE and wasn't gonna be back till I GOT BACK.

Why I still don't own a cell.

When I leave I usually don't want to be found.

Ahhhh freedom.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Hopefully, once I finally have kids, they'll be better behaved than most kids nowadays.

Mine sure as hell will be. I won't put up with that shit. One of my nephews does it constantly and I do it to him. Except since he isn't my kid, I roll it around to something like "what are you crying about? Tough guys don't cry about that!" He usually gets it. My other nephew acts like hes in his 20s sometimes. Social gatherings, he'll come up to a group of guys and just stand there listening with a drill instructor type pose (arms behind his back). Kid never cries and never whines.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
When I leave I usually don't want to be found.

Ahhhh freedom.

EGGS ACT LY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I want to talk to someone..I will GO TO THERE HOME!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#30]
it wouldn't be so cool if the kids had to pay the bill with their own money.

but then what do I know, I didn't have any money either when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#31]
It  was so much better to call a girl cell in high school then it is to call her house
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#32]
this is what i do for a living.. < buys me lots of guns $$$$>

6 yr old get cell phones nowa days ..

its so easy to simply add a family member and go on a family plan ..

most if the kids having cells makes the odds of them talking free to each other even better ..

hell like they talk anyway..

from the bills i see its mostly text and pictures..

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#33]

I am ok with cell phones but whoever invented the text message should be shot. My last few girlfriends have been text message freaks.  Every hour or so I get one from the current girl. I am really glad my phone has pre programmed answers like:

Yes
No
Call me
Where are you
Busy
Will call later
On my way
Take a hike
Shooting pool
At bar
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife and I have one cell phone between us, we got it to use when traveling or for emergencies.

It rarely gets used, I think I'll look into the 'Pay as you go plan' where you buy only the minutes you are going to use, as it is now it's a waste of money each month.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I used to despise cell phones.... until I got one. Its just so much of a conveince to get in touch with somebody on the fly. Plus, I'm usually out and about late at night so I like having it around in case my car craps out on me (which is has a tendacy to do).

As far as the freedom thing, there is a little ignore button. I use it quite often when out dining or in other social settings when a cell phone call is very annoying. It will just go to Voicemail anyways, so I can call back later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top