Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 11:13:44 AM EDT
I have many friends that  have timeshare properties. Thye tell me how great it is to have one. most of them purcahsed in Florida and mexico. My inquiry as to the amount they paid came out to 10-18k for a timeshare. My wife want to buy one also but I told her its not worht it. The initial outlay plus the yearly dues for a week to stay in thier facilities  seems to add up to the same as if I stayed at a hotel.

And many have told me that timeshares don't go up in value. True??

is a timeshare worth it???
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Many folks lose most of that money when they try to dump their time share.  Most don't have the time to use it, and their "weekend" or "week" won't sell for shit.

You will do better putting the money in a savings account.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have many friends that  have timeshare properties. Thye tell me how great it is to have one. most of them purcahsed in Florida and mexico. My inquiry as to the amount they paid came out to 10-18k for a timeshare. My wife want to buy one also but I told her its not worht it. The initial outlay plus the yearly dues for a week to stay in thier facilities  seems to add up to the same as if I stayed at a hotel.

And many have told me that timeshares don't go up in value. True??
is a timeshare worth it???

Yes, true.

If you are intent on buying one, buy one off of the secondary market. They sell for pennies on the dollar. Those that have them and want to sell take a serious loss when doing so.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with Wildearp.  In therory the time share does sound attractive, but the fact that if you can dedicate the time to use the timeshare, which most people can't, it is not worth it.  Several people that I know dumped several thousands of dollars into the time share later to find out they got little or nothing back after they sold it.  

I'd stick with the traditonal hotel approach and have the flexibility of knowing when you want to go and have a vacation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Never bought one but I have been to many sales meetings. I have gotten lots of free stuff. Check out TrendWest. Very nice set up. Friend owns share with them. Also look on Ebay for want thet are worth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top