Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 10:08:54 AM EDT
Ok guys I need your help again.  Almost a month ago I bought a used motorcycle from this guy we will call John.  At the time of the purchase he made out a bill of sale but was unable to sign over the title because he had not gotten it signed over from the person he bought it from.  So he wrote on the bill of sale that when the title came in transferred to him, he would come over and transfer it to me.  A month has passed and there has been no word.  

Here is where it gets interesting, and troubling.  I lost John’s phone number and he is in no phone book or directory assistance for my area.  But I doubt his number would have done me any good because the place him and his family rented is now vacant and for sale.  I left a note there telling him to call me but it vanished and I have heard nothing.  Additionally John told me when he was riding the motorcycle he had fake plates as it was not insured.  So I am trying to look through our phone records to find his number but even if I do it is unlikely to put me in contact with him.  

So if you have not figured it out yet here are my problems:  I don’t have the title so I have no way of registering the bike according to our states DMV policy.  I can’t find John to get the title.  Effectively the bike is useless to me and I don’t see a way to remedy the problem.    I am screwed and really pissed!  Is there any thing I can do to get this bike on the road legally?  How can I find John?  What say you?  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#1]
You baught a stolen bike.  Forget the money and get rid of the bike.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You baught a stolen bike.  Forget the money and get rid of the bike.

+1.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#3]

No offense but,  just what the hell were you thinkin' ?  

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Part it out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#5]
If "John" never got the proper title then you should be able to go back to the DMV with the VIN number off the bike and find out who it is still registered to.  That person, if the bike isn't stolen, can then get a title for you and sign it over.  You may want to contact your local police department and see if they can run a check on the bike to see if it is stolen, if it is then you need to let them know what is going on so you don't end up in trouble.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#6]
You better strip it for parts ,discard / grind any serial #"s. It"ll cost you more in court to clear this up than it would to buy a new bike if your in possesion. Not to mention a nice felony rap.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Too late now, obviously, but never hand over the cash until you see the title.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You better strip it for parts ,discard / grind any serial #"s. It"ll cost you more in court to clear this up than it would to buy a new bike if your in possesion. Not to mention a nice felony rap.

yes...  lets destroy any possibility of getting out of this legally, and if caught doing that he'd have a real believable story that it wasnt actually stolen, but someone recommended he grind off all the serial #s just in case....

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If "John" never got the proper title then you should be able to go back to the DMV with the VIN number off the bike and find out who it is still registered to.  That person, if the bike isn't stolen, can then get a title for you and sign it over.  You may want to contact your local police department and see if they can run a check on the bike to see if it is stolen, if it is then you need to let them know what is going on so you don't end up in trouble.

+1 Good advice
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#10]
If it's a hardly then its frame is still worth quite a bit.

That's a pretty poor excuse "having to get it registered from the previous owner". If this were true he could still hand you the title of the previous owner. I've done deals like that before.

What was it? And how much did you pay?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#11]
   BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  

YOU DID WHAT?!?!

BWAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I dare you to take this advice

No I didn't know it was stolen...grind grind grind...I swear officer.

run the vin, file for lost title, whatever. You bought the bike legally, they cannot prove you stole it

innocent unless they can prove you guilty.

I would try to find out who the vin is registered to first, contact that person if you can, and see if the two of you can sort this out. Chances are the ins already paid for it, and maybe the guy would sign it over to you. I don't know how that would work, but it's a possibility.

If the cops get involved, the bike is gone, but this is still planet earth, and they cannot prove you stole it.

In fact, you have proof that you bought the damn thing. CASE CLOSED!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Put up some moptorcycle parking lot signs in your yard.
Park the bike in your ONE parking spot (so you don't get anyone else wanting to park)
Then apply for title on abandoned vehicle after 30-90 days.

Alternatively, go the route mentioned above, and go to the police and explain the situation.

Just for our curiousity, how much did you spend?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This is the best advice so far, If you part it out and it is stolen then you look as guilty as whoever stole it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Another ARFCOM life lesson for our benefit.

I appreciate people admitting to some of these predicaments because it helps other avoid them and provides a solution.

I think I'd check to see if the bike has been reported stolen, then go the DMV route.  There is a possibility the DMV will not have a way to contact the old owner.  You may be able to apply for a new title
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#16]
When I was driving a wrecker, the company I worked for would apply for titles of the unclaimed cars on their lot.  I don't remember the exact process, but you can have another title issued if the bike is not stolen.

As previously mentioned, don't get out the grinder.  Just have the vin run and accept the consequences.  If you payed a fair price, then the worst is you are out the money and you can chalk it up to a life lesson.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#17]
A neighbor of mine was renting out his house.  The tenant left, owing rent.  He left his motorcycle in the backyard, and the owner of the house gave it to me.  It had a North Carolina inspection sticker on it, so I called the NC DMV and explained how I got the bike.  They gave me the owner's name and address, in which I then called directory assistance.  
I called the guy whose name was on the title and explained the situation to him.  If he wanted the bike back, I would hold it for him, but he would have to come to Florida to get it.  He didn't want it anyway as he had given it to his son-in-law.  So I asked him how much for it.  He said $15 and he'll send the title, which he did.  It was mine until it was stolen from me.
Anyway, contacting the DMV is the best idea.  If you lose the money, be glad that's all you lose if caught with a stolen bike.  If the owner is a good guy, he might just get the title for you.  Either way, lesson learned.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the addvice so far.  I paid $950, it is a 98 Kawasaki 250 EX.  Yes I do relize this bike could be stolen.  But I would be some what surprised.  I  saw the title in his wifes hands so I belive he did buy it and still has the titel.  The DMV's online database would not disclose the registrants name but mabey they would give it to me in person or over the phone.  It was registered this year.  I checked carfax and they have nothing on it, but mabey they only have cars in there records.
Ya I know I could part it out but I dont want to, it is just to nice and if I is stolen then I am up to my elbows in &#@%$.  I will roll the dice and see what the VIN numbers turn up.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Best advice here.

The guy signed a bill of sale to you.  If it really is stolen he's a total dumbass for leaving this evidence behind.

I'll second nightstalker's comments about posting for our benefit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thanks for the addvice so far.  I paid $950, it is a 98 Kawasaki 250 EX.  Yes I do relize this bike could be stolen.  But I would be some what surprised.  I  saw the title in his wifes hands so I belive he did buy it and still has the titel.  The DMV's online database would not disclose the registrants name but mabey they would give it to me in person or over the phone.  It was registered this year.  I checked carfax and they have nothing on it, but mabey they only have cars in there records.
Ya I know I could part it out but I dont want to, it is just to nice.  If I is stolen then I am up to my elbows in &#@%$.      

250? Why not buy a grown-up's bike? Just kidding, just kidding.

950 is a bit much for a title-less bike of that size. I bought a 1980 GS750 in excellent shape for 150 less. And it came with a title!

Seriously, next time you shop around for anything, don't pay until that title is in your hands.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Try to find the rightful owner.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just an FYI, grinding off the VIN is in and of itself a felony.

So is farting in public after 6 p.m.

WTF has happened to this country?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just an FYI, grinding off the VIN is in and of itself a felony.

So is farting in public after 6 p.m.

WTF has happened to this country?

Damn.  I hope I don't get caught.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#25]
ak007,

You got a real problem here.  If in fact that you have purchased stolen material and say that the cops don't believe your story that you are innocent, you could get charged, which could be a felony in the location you are at.  With the gun laws as they are, you are literally risking all of your rights over this and could possibly never own an AR-15 or any gun for that fact ever again.

Better consult some legal help from a professional and do the right thing!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#26]
this is just too funny....."you give me the money,  and when I get the title I'll come over and transfer it to you........"DUH, OK"  

do you also buy lottery tickets as well?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top