Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 9:23:21 AM EDT
My bassett goes to the water cooler a couple of times a day. It is always availabe to him and always fresh. The thing is, he will stand there sucking in water for 5-10 minutes straight. No breaks. He just chugs water by the quart. He is about 7 months and has been doing this since we brought him home as at 16 weeks. Normal? Abnormal? He is due for a checkup soon but I wanted to ask here anyway.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's normal.

I have 2 dogs.  One dog likes to hit the water bowl many times a day for short drinks and the other one does exactly what your dog does.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I should have named my Spaniel "Sump Pump."
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 Brits.

One is a sipper.  The other is a friggin' camel.  She'll drink an entire water bowl.  Then she walks in the garage, burps, and yaks most of the water back up.  

Then back to the water bowl...  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
There's nothing wrong with a well hydrated canine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Heh, good replies, thanks. We all stand there laughing at him making while we make camel jokes, but it occurred to me today that maybe he had some sort of medical issue. Glad to hear there are other "chuggers" out there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have 2 Brits.

One is a sipper.  The other is a friggin' camel.  She'll drink an entire water bowl.  Then she walks in the garage, burps, and yaks most of the water back up.  

Then back to the water bowl...  

One of my collies does that.  She'll chug it down like no tomorrow.

Then when she is done she jumps into the water bowl, spills out what is left and walks off so the other dog doesn't get any.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#7]
My last Bassett would take a short drink every time she passed the water jug.

The 2 Bassetts that I have now will stop and drink for long periods like you dog does (though not 5-10 minutes).

I was concerned until I noticed the dogs were each drinking about the same amount as my previous dog.

I suspect it is just a developed habit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top