Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 8:21:16 AM EDT
Is this true, or just DU talking?

I heard 26 used to be the upper limit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah, kinda old news. i think only the guard raised it's age to 42 (maybe the army reserves, too).

max ages come and go but prior to the crunch, it was 29...i think.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Just what the Army needs - a bunch of 40 year olds who don't know what they want to be when they grow up...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#3]
That's cool - if I don't get tenure, I can re-enlist.   (I guess it wouldn't precisely be RE-enlisting, since I've never been in the US army.  Since I've served as an officer in an allied NATO army, would I have to start as a grunt in the US, or would I get some credit for "time served"?  No need for answers - after all, it's a highly hypothetical scenario)

Still - joining might be a better plan than my alternate plan, which is to become a professional surfer
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just what the Army needs - a bunch of 40 year olds who don't know what they want to be when they grow up...

When I was in basic in '85, I thought the max was 36 because we had 3 in the platoon whe were exactly 36...
I gotta say, basic was tough on me at 18...but I think it woulda been tougher at twice that age...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#5]
They should have raised it to 43
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#6]
If they up it another  20 years, I'm in!!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

A couple of years ago I'd have agreed with your statement and laughed, but now I find myself putting a fair bit of thought into joining. I'll be 33 next month, 5'9", 155lbs, in decent shape, no addictions, no tattoos, clean record, never married, no dependants, already have a skilled trade and a future, etc.

It could be a good thing for the Army. Basic will sort out who's soldier-material and who isn't..

Frankly I don't see it as a whole lot different than recruiters taking in Legions of 19 year olds who have no direction after they got out of highschool or only went in because they blew every last free ride they had at home. There will always be turds, regardless of age.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A couple of years ago I'd have agreed with your statement and laughed, but now I find myself putting a fair bit of thought into joining. I'll be 33 next month, 5'9", 155lbs, in decent shape, no addictions, no tattoos, clean record, never married, no dependants, already have a skilled trade and a future, etc.

It could be a good thing for the Army. Basic will sort out who's soldier-material and who isn't..

Frankly I don't see it as a whole lot different than recruiters taking in Legions of 19 year olds who have no direction after they got out of highschool or only went in because they blew every last free ride they had at home. There will always be turds, regardless of age.

Dave

It does, "somewhat".

It's nothing like SFAS or Ranger School.  Everyone in Basic Training is "meant" to pass.  It doesnt weed out the wannabe's from the hooah's.  If you DONT pass BT/AIT, it's because you seriously-seriously-seriously fucked up and I do mean *seriously*, or you had an injury.

Hell, even the kid who tried to kill himself by drinking Chlorine Bleach in the 2nd week, graduated.

We had 1 out of 230 not graduate because he was a fuckup.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
yeah, kinda old news. i think only the guard raised it's age to 42 (maybe the army reserves, too).

max ages come and go but prior to the crunch, it was 29...i think.

Guard and Reserve were raised to 39 from 36 last year I believe. In the last few months, the Pentagon forwarded a request to Congress for approval to up the max age from 35 to 42 for the regular services. Everyone except the Army is meeting recruiting goals, so it's probably only the Army that will go after the "geezers".
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:38:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I know the Marines won't talk to you if you are over 30. I was 6 months over when I tried them.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:01:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know the Marines won't talk to you if you are over 30. I was 6 months over when I tried them.

Dave

it's 31. I was 4 months over an they would not have anything to do with me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top