Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 7:59:41 AM EDT
...and am having a hard time.  I've looked around online and called a couple places but since I'm not a shop, only interested in one piece and am obviously not too educated on the topic I'm running into a lot of attitude.

I figure a solid aluminum gear blank is what I need or it's at least the thing that seems to be getting me close to my goal.  What I need is a 1/4" (or slightly thicker) disc with an outside diameter of around 4 3/8" and an inside diameter hole of 1" to 2".  The measurements are not precise but it's a close ballpark.

It doesn't HAVE to be aluminum, it could be a high grade impact plastic but I'm going to end up drilling a ring of 1/16" holes along the outer edge on one side so I figured the steel would hold up better.  It also doesn't have to be a gear blank.  I just figured that any aluminum round stock would need to get turned down anyway so it's trued.  If there's something else out there, I'm all ears.

The absolute ultimate would be a worm gear already cut in it but I'm not holding my breath, and that stage of this mod is over a year away.

Anyone have a parts catalog or know a contact that is nice enough to help out a weekend warrior with a project so I can get a price?  I'm obviously looking for as cheap as possible and at this moment I'm not married to the project so if I'm talking 50 bucks than screw it.  I did find some regular spur gears that got close in overall size but not quite big enough for about $20.  I'm hoping to stay around or under that.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#1]
You could try McMaster-Carr at www.mcmaster.com.  You can get small pieces of all sorts of various materials.  They're a little on the expensive side, but it might be better than having to buy a bulk piece.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#3]
the cheap part might be a problem. Last time I looked, gears in that size weren't cheap.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#4]
McMaster-Carr has part number 9035K39 which is a 5" diameter by 1/4" thick piece of 7075 aluminum (aircraft grade) for $14.30 each plus shipping.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#5]
try stock drive products here and click on the product finder link.

Part Number S1268Y-SCB-13P
Unit Inch
Outside Diameter 4 1/8
Bore Size 0.375
Material Acetal Rim / Alum. Core
Blank Config Hubless
Set Screw NO S.S.
Face Width 0.1250
Hub Projection 0.3750
Hub Diameter 1.7500

Price is about 28 dollars.

Or for an actual worm gear with a price of 81 dollars:
Part Number A 1B 6-N24096A
Unit Inch
Diametral Pitch 24
No. Of Teeth 96
Gear Ratio 96.00 To 1
Quality Class/mat'l Commercial / Bronze
Bore & Hub Config. 0.375/NO S.S.
Face Width 0.250"
Pitch Dia. (PD) 4.000"
Mating Worm 24DP/1 LEAD/0.5PD
Pressure Angle 14.5°
Lead Angle 4.77°

Now the important question - what are you using this for???
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#6]
The cheap part is the killer in any custom fabricated piece.

You might look for a cheap dividing plate on e-bay, harbor freight or grizzly.

How about a salvaged brake rotor from the wrecking yard?

Anyone you know own or have access to a lathe?

HTH.....SRM
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Pitch Dia?

Number of teeth?

Spur or Worm?

Hub dia?

Gotta ask, what the sam hooty is it for?

I sell a ton of gears every year, but most are gearbox specific.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:...
but I'm going to end up drilling a ring of 1/16" holes along the outer edge on one side ...

You need to show me how to drill holes on one side only.

Isn't that like a monopole magnet?

heh.  No, meaning only drilling one of the two faces and not drilling all the way through.  That obviously didn't come out right.

jchewie - sdp was one of the places I found, but their blank stock didn't meet my minimum size req's of FW .25 and OD 4.375 but thanks!

I'll take a look at McMasters that looks like a good one, thanks vsound.

As to what it's for.....um.....well...don't laugh.   It's to augment a semi-pro coffee grinder.  The bean hopper is plastic and attaches to the burr carrier directly as well as provides the holes for the adjustment pin.  I'm looking at this thing thinking it's easy to snap so it would be cool to make a metal collar to mount it to and use that for adjustments.  Secondly the way it adjusts I could later on make the thing a worm drive to get infinite adjustment out of it.  One guy has done something similar just using a hose clamp and a lag bolt.  I'm looking for something a little more hard core.

Make sense?  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, I love seeing these practical type of inventions in use!

I don't know exactly how the gear blank you are proposing would fit up, or if there are other alternatives,  but consider making the hopper feed gate out of a piece of UHMW polyethelene (it will be strong enough and it is probably available from McMaster or www.mscdirect.com) and maybe make the adjustment drive in a lead screw fashion with a square nut driving a pin that sticks out of the gate instead of a worm drive.  

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:...
but I'm going to end up drilling a ring of 1/16" holes along the outer edge on one side ...

You need to show me how to drill holes on one side only.

Isn't that like a monopole magnet?

heh.  No, meaning only drilling one of the two faces and not drilling all the way through.  That obviously didn't come out right.

jchewie - sdp was one of the places I found, but their blank stock didn't meet my minimum size req's of FW .25 and OD 4.375 but thanks!

As to what it's for.....um.....well...don't laugh.   It's to augment a semi-pro coffee grinder.  The bean hopper is plastic and attaches to the burr carrier directly as well as provides the holes for the adjustment pin.  I'm looking at this thing thinking it's easy to snap so it would be cool to make a metal collar to mount it to and use that for adjustments.  Secondly the way it adjusts I could later on make the thing a worm drive to get infinite adjustment out of it.  One guy has done something similar just using a hose clamp and a lag bolt.  I'm looking for something a little more hard core.

Make sense?  

Man, I've seen hopped up computer cases, Ricers and now people are pimping out their coffee makers. .....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#11]
You can design what you want to order from this place

www.emachineshop.com

You draft exactly what you want using their software (it's easy to learn).  You select whatever materials you want. It'll quote you a price, and once you pay and give the shipping info, automated CNC machines will produce you piece(s) at the factory and send it to you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#12]

No problem.  Glad to help.  

You could also try doing it out of Delrin (also available at McMaster).  Delrin is a higher heat plastic that has good machining characteristics.

Although I gotta admit, I do find it a bit odd for someone to machine parts to pimp out a coffee maker...    j/k
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Man, I've seen hopped up computer cases, Ricers and now people are pimping out their coffee makers. .....

What can I say.  Some of us just know how to live.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top