Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2001 8:53:50 AM EDT
I hear officers talking all the time on reloading thier handguns revolver vs semi and so forth and I remember something my father taught me and think it is good advice espcially in a defensive situation. people buy handguns for home deffense and hand guns are the low range of firearms in stoping power. well any ways what do you think of my fathers following advice....

"son if you have to reload your hand gun somethings not working in the situation readload yes but back off too and get something BIGGER. and if you dont have anything bigger run if you can."

do you think this is sound advice or overkill this statement also assumes you have a shotgun, AR or "something bigger"
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Handguns, just by virtue of their size, have limitations (size of bullet, sight picture, mag limitations, etc.);  however they are concealable and  more portable without being obtrusive.

If you get into a situation, obviously it is best to have a weapon than not to have a weapon, but it is even better to have more firepower if you can (rifle, shotgun, machinegun). Yes, go for the firepower [u]if you can.[/u]

Of course, if you are missing your shots, neither firearm will help...
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like your dad is a pretty smart guy!
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO handguns should only be used to fight your way back to your long gun/s, or when your primary jams or runs out of ammunition.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with gene stoner in that if you are missing your target no gun will help. The only advantage the handgun has is concealment,and avalibility.
Your father sounds like a very intelligent man.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Handgun is a simple defensive weapon that gets me back to my shotgun or carbine.  That's when the fight starts.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#8]
As a wise man once said, It's not who fires the most rounds in a gunfight that wins, it's who fires the first accurate shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top