Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 11:06:53 PM EDT
From permafrost to permatan, Alaska basks in record heat
By David Usborne in New York
16 August 2005
news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article306160.ece
If Americans are clamouring to beat the heat this summer, they had better not do the obvious and travel to Alaska. For the second summer in a row, the glacier state has been baking under sweltering skies, stirring anxieties about global warming and its impact on the polar region.

August is meant to be a scorcher in Dallas but not in Fairbanks, where temperaturesyesterday were in the mid-80s Fahrenheit (high 20s Celsius). The weather has been clear and hot over almost all of Alaska for the past week, due to an intense high pressure dome that is reluctant to move on.

"This is for real; it is not a meteorological joke," said Ted Fathauer, who is the chief forecaster at the National Weather Service in Fairbanks. Over the past few days temperatures have topped 90F in some areas of the interior.

Temperatures might have gone even even higher levels if the skies had not been partially shrouded by smoke coming from the usual summer eruption of forest wild fires.

While the high temperatures may startle some tourists flying to Alaska to enjoy the wonders of its frozen geology, residents are getting used to the warming of their land. Last summer saw record-breaking heat across the state and the story was similar in 2002.

Scientists say this is more than just a string of freak summers. Between 1949 and 2003, the average annual air temperature in Alaska increased by 3.3 degrees Fahrenheit, with some areas in the state registering increases of almost twice that much, especially in the spring and the autumn.

The effects of the changes are on view everywhere. More than 4 per cent of Alaska is still covered by ice, but the glaciers that draw so many tourists, most of them on board cruise ships, are retreating fast.

Geologists are also raising the alarm about Alaska's fast deteriorating permafrost. The recent hot summers, combined with the insulating effect of heavy snow blankets in the winter, have accelerated the melting of the permafrost, experts say.

If it gets even a little warmer, large swaths of the frozen soil, which has been a constant of Alaskan geology since the end of the last ice age, will thaw.

There are serious ecological and engineering implications. The permafrost has until now provided stable ground on which trees can grow and roads, buildings and pipelines can be built. The first signs of it going mushy are large sinkholes, many of which are already visible this summer around Fairbanks.

"Our permafrost is still stable, even though it is very, very warm," Vladimir Romanovsky a geophysicist at the Geophysical Institute of the University of Alaska Fairbanks told the Alaska Daily News. "But the moment it starts to thaw, we will be able to say we are the warmest we have been the past 100,000 years."

Global warming has brought other problems to Alaska, includes rising sea levels, triggered by the melting of the polar cap.

Meanwhile, the glaciers that visitors want to see are slowly pulling back from tourist car parks and from the cruise ship-crowded inlets. Muir Glacier, one of the most visited in the state and the jewel of Glacier Bay National Park, has receded by more than five miles (8km) in just 30 years, government scientists have reported.

* A slightly strengthened Hurricane Irene spun into the north Atlantic yesterday about 600 miles off Halifax, Nova Scotia, but posed no threat to land, forecasters said. It was assessed as a category 1 hurricane with winds of 85 mph.Only two or three named storms normally develop by this time in the Atlantic hurricane season, which began on 1 June and ends on 30 November. Irene is the ninth named storm of the season.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Just because it is warmer than average in Alaska this year doesn't necessarily mean it's caused by "Global Warming".

It was one of the coolest Summers on record here in KY last year. Most of August and September were awesome, with low humidity and temps in the 70's and low 80's. So if Global Warming really exists (and I'm not convinced it does), it's going to take more than 1 or 2 years of fluctuations to prove it. And explain why the temp increase over 50 years is + a few degrees in AK while in other areas it is - a few degrees. It's meaningless data.

One year is not a trend. One year is irrelevent. You need to establish a trend, which to be of any scientific value would be about a 1000 year period, at least.

This is why I find much of the reporting of Global Warming to be bunk. These people are trying to take 20 or 30 years worth of data (some of which is conflicting to start with) and pass it off as it it held the same value as 1000 years of data.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
No different than so-called 'scientists' claiming that eggs are bad for you one day and then the next saying that they're actually good for you.

It seems that most reside on a Jump To Conclusions mat these days.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes its a myth.  Let consider we only have about 500 years of recorded temptaures.  The earth is 100s of millions of years old.   With that little data how could we conclude that we currently have global warming?  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
So, out of the 5 billion years this sun and planet have been around Alaska has a warm summer.  It must be global warming!  Forget about the fact that we only have recorded temp info for probably a little over 100 years.  We frankly don't know enough about weather patterns and temperature to know if its global warming.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it has been hot up here (Fairbanks) the past couple years. However there has also been extremely bad wildfires the past couple years resulting in choking smoke. I wonder if they are taking into consideration the convection caused by the smoke. Weatherman says that its suppose to subside tomorrow...yeah right

-Derek
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#6]
You know, I was thinking about that yesterday.  

Most, if not all, of those that subscribe to the theory of global warming also believe that the earth is millions and millions of years old.  So how can they reconcile the lack of climatological data for any period past say 200-300 years ago with such a theory?

For all they know, these things are cyclical.  Yet they still blame man for global warming.

Don't you just hate it when you have all that stuff in your head, but can't get it out in a lyrical manner?  I know I do.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
<looks up the report about the "global warming/cooling" being cyclical>
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#8]
What I find so shocking about all this Global Warming horseshit is all the stuff the "scientists" leave out, as well as the implications of their findings.

We know there have been temperature changes on earth since the beginnings of time. They occurred naturally, long before any humans were here. It's not a shocking thing. It's been going on for millions of years.

Yet the scientific implications are that WE are responsible for global warming, POLLUTION is the cause and STOPPING pollution is the way to treat it.

Did human pollution cause all the other climate changes in earth's history, nearly all of which occurred before there were ever any humans on earth? Was it automobile gases? Was it aerosol cans? CFC's?

Global warming is sheer lunacy. Earth is constaly evolving and changing. That includes climate as well. We have had warming and cooling periods before, none of our doing. So the arrogance of these global warming scientists in blaming humans for this and the double arrogance of thinking we mortal humans are somehow capable of changing earth's climate really pisses me off.

This is just fear mongering from people who fear progress. Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Did human pollution cause all the other climate changes in earth's history, nearly all of which occurred before there were ever any humans on earth? Was it automobile gases? Was it aerosol cans? CFC's?

It was those Egyptians and their fucking air conditioners!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Don't you just hate it when you have all that stuff in your head, but can't get it out in a lyrical manner?  I know I do.

+1! I might have the knowledge on a certain issue, but articulating it is a whole new slice of pie.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What I find so shocking about all this Global Warming horseshit is all the stuff the "scientists" leave out, as well as the implications of their findings.

We know there have been temperature changes on earth since the beginnings of time. They occurred naturally, long before any humans were here. It's not a shocking thing. It's been going on for millions of years.

Yet the scientific implications are that WE are responsible for global warming, POLLUTION is the cause and STOPPING pollution is the way to treat it.

Global warming is sheer lunacy. Earth is constaly evolving and changing. That includes climate as well. We have had warming and cooling periods before, none of our doing. So the arrogance of these global warming scientists in blaming humans for this and the double arrogance of thinking we mortal humans are somehow capable of changing earth's climate really pisses me off.

This is just fear mongering from people who fear progress. Plain and simple.

Couldn't agree more. Global warming is the biggest load of shit ever.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe in Global Warming..........but I don't believe that we humans had anything to do with it.  There is just not enough recorded history to know what cycles the earth's climate goes through.  

If man was around during the Ice Age, the libs would have blamed us for that too
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Funny how the hole in the ozone layer was discovered prior to the widespread use of CFCs.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I probably should have posted this in the religion forum
I really doubt that anyone will ever change their mind on this topic

it is unfortunate that they call it "global warming"

it should be called something like "climatological destabilization" or "atmospheric fluctuation"

warming at unusual levels\times is only one one of the symptoms
some others are increased flooding, rainfall, droughts and freezes
we're having multiple heavy storms, and flooding in TX, that we didn't
have 20-30 years ago, I just don't believe we are in a "cycle"

and, I don't believe the "cycle" of heating and cooling will allow for the
reappearing of the ice cliffs, permafrost or icebergs that have been
receding for the last ten years unless we have another ice age, not likely

I do think that pollution from cars and factories has overtaxed the Earths natural cleansing
abilities that would come into play for events like forest fires or volcanic eruptions

however, I do not think the process can be reversed, so I am NOT saying that cars and
factories should be halted, just that the longer we go on like this, the harder it will be to breathe
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm loving these hot summers in SE Alaska....I leave my truck idling all night, and randomly empty aerosol cans just to make sure the temp is right for my camping trips.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

When people try to convince someone else of something they "sell" it by leaving out the bad part

I prefer to know the good and the bad to help me make better decisions

as far as this subject, I do not know of anything that indicates it is NOT a problem

however, the "hole in the ozone facts" are clearly not understood well enough for them to
be able to use them to make any concrete statements, they still do it though...........
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#17]
We know for a fact that there were periods of cooling known as the Ice Ages.  Does it not stand to reason that there would also be periods of warming.  On a small scale, man can indeed cause localized climate changes (cities are known as heat islands because the buildings and pavement absorb heat, etc), but it is a stretch to think that man can effect things on a global scale.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Scientists say this is more than just a string of freak summers. Between 1949 and 2003, the average annual air temperature in Alaska increased by 3.3 degrees Fahrenheit, with some areas in the state registering increases of almost twice that much, especially in the spring and the autumn.

in Alaska, that is still fucking cold
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Global warming is a myth.
Just ask AR15 members
Evolution is just a theory.
Just ask Kansas.
Gays choose to be gay.
Ask any conservative
The earth is 6000 years old.
ask any religious nut.
Marijuana use causes hard drug use.
Ask any cop/conservative/can't think for themself nut.
Iraq was an imminent threat to US security.
Ask George.
There IS an Easter Bunny.
See Above.

The great pumpkin just informed me that most conservative, ar15 members have a bad case of "square headedness".

Does anyone here believe in thinking for themselves? Learning something beyond the party line BS?

Nevermind. All Liberals are bad, and anyone who doesn't agree with a square head is a liberal. Thinking for yourself is bad unless you agree with mindless, conservative dogma and then you are TRULY thinking for yourself.

It's OK to love our troops unless you love them but don't agree with everything Curious George...er....I mean our president says....in which case you are a liberal dick because.......if our pres says it it's good for our troops....etc.

Dubya didn't lie about his motivation for invading IRAQ cuz......well.....he didn't. YEAH RIGHT.....but if I say that then I hate America and our troops......according to a lot of SQUARE HEADS.

Global warming is just a myth.......................trust in the conservative sheep.......they can shoot guns and that ALWAYS makes them right.......intellectually they will never let us down america thanks to their rigorous training in critical thinking, and ignoring emotionalism.

They're like horses.....you can bring em to the keyboard but you can't make em think. Thank God they can load mags. Thats JUST what America needs. Heaven help us if we need anything else cuz the only important thing is....like toby keith says...... "stickin a boot in their ass".

How dare those goddamn liberals think of anything else........fuckin communists.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:19:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Just ask AR15 members
Just ask Kansas.
Gays choose to be gay.
Ask any conservative
ask any religious nut.
Ask George.
See Above.

The great pumpkin just informed me that most conservative, ar15 members have a bad case of "square headedness".

Does anyone here believe in thinking for themselves? Learning something beyond the party line BS?

Nevermind. All Liberals are bad, and anyone who doesn't agree with a square head is a liberal. Thinking for yourself is bad unless you agree with mindless, conservative dogma and then you are TRULY thinking for yourself.

It's OK to love our troops unless you love them but don't agree with everything Curious George...er....I mean our president says....in which case you are a liberal dick because.......if our pres says it it's good for our troops....etc.

Dubya didn't lie about his motivation for invading IRAQ cuz......well.....he didn't. YEAH RIGHT.....but if I say that then I hate America and our troops......according to a lot of SQUARE HEADS.

Global warming is just a myth.......................trust in the conservative sheep.......they can shoot guns and that ALWAYS makes them right.......intellectually they will never let us down america thanks to their rigorous training in critical thinking, and ignoring emotionalism.

They're like horses.....you can bring em to the keyboard but you can't make em think. Thank God they can load mags. Thats JUST what America needs. Heaven help us if we need anything else cuz the only important thing is....like toby keith says...... "stickin a boot in their ass".

How dare those goddamn liberals think of anything else........fuckin communists.

Did you go to troll school or take a correspondence course?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I guess you are trying to make a point of some sort
why don't you include your old screen name with your "thoughts"?

liberals fought against bush with such bs rhetoric that they lost any claim
to intelligent discourse IMO, btw they still do it, they make ridiculous claims
and state them as fact.........you made some pretty impressively stupid claims yourself
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#22]
If the increase in temperature were due to ever increasing amounts of man-made pollution,  a graph of the worlds average temperatures would be curvilinear.  Not linear.

Something other than man-made pollution is causing it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#23]

"Global warming" essentially works on the assumption that there are no buffers in the environment.

I think, personally, as a scientist but not a climatologist, that all of the data we have collected so far is comparitively infinitesimal, and is as likely to produce false trends as it is to produce good predictions.

It seems possible that there are cyclical global environmental fluctuations, some of which have something to do with solar activity, and I consider the possibility that even changing local galactic conditions may alter the Terran climatological/ecological conditions.

I think we should limit our impact as much as is practical, but I do not think we can have nearly the long term impact on the planet that the alarmists think we can.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:38:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Just ask AR15 members
Just ask Kansas.
Gays choose to be gay.
Ask any conservative
ask any religious nut.
Ask George.
See Above.

Dude, put the joint down.  Don't you know it can lead to hardcore drug use?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If the increase in temperature were due to ever increasing amounts of man-made pollution,  a graph of the worlds average temperatures would be curvilinear.  Not linear.

Something other than man-made pollution is causing it.

Thats a good point
wouldn't different countries type\rate of pollution determine their idividual rate of heat
reflection\trapping.  And wouldn't the "climatological destabilization" that it caused be
determined by the way prevailing wind currents\weather patterns and land\water formations guided them?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#26]
This winter when its -40 for a month at a time and occasionally dipping down to -60 I want the author of that artical to join me at work for a day. Turning wrenches on the flightline sucks at -45...perhaps that will change his mind.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:56:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Just ask AR15 members
Just ask Kansas.
Gays choose to be gay.
Ask any conservative
ask any religious nut.
Ask George.
See Above.

You're absolutely right!!!

We should be listening to the same "experts" who said twenty years ago that the fish in the ocean would all be dead and the polar ice caps would have melted by now if we didn't change

Or maybe we should be listening to Al Gore.  Here's a guy who is preaching about global warming on one of the coldest days in recorded history in NY.

...I'll stick with my party line.  It makes a helluva lot more sense
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:14:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:22:42 AM EDT
[#29]
"The same people who have managed to create a VERY LUCRATIVE cottage industry out of global warming today are the same asswipes who were warning about the New Ice Age in the 1970s. They have no more of a clue about what the climate will be like in 20 years than my goddam dog does. My dog doesn't care because it isn't looking for any money from the scare. The "scientists" are.

Let's see... we were all going to starve, run out of fossil fuel and be packed like sardines in a can due to overpopulation before the year 2000. I heard that gloom and doom bullshit when I was in college in 1971. Not one bit of it came true. Nothing has changed since then except the topic of gloom and doom. Follow the fucking money. Environmentalism is a rich business today.

As far as glaciers go, they have grown and retreated since the dawn of time. That's what glaciers do. They operate on a geological clock quite different from ours, and if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. The one you're concerned about will still be around when you are long gone to dust. Get you mind off the fucking glacier and think about something more constructve, like basket-weaving, or gazing at your own navel.

My aching ass.

Earth abides. This rock is FOUR BILLION YEARS OLD and I believe that anybody who wants to "save the planet" should be dragged off and shot for sheer stupidity and hubris. We couldn't destroy this planet if we tried. We damn sure won't do it by living the way we do today. The air is cleaner, the water is more pure and we all live a lot longer now than when I was born.

Where, exactly, is the fucking "crisis?" It's in research labs that want more money and in classrooms taught by politically-correct teachers who can't read and write. THAT'S where it is.

I'll admit that whoever invented the idea of CO2 being a "greeehouse gas" was one clever sumbitch. He knew good and well when he spouted that shit that very few people understand the process of photosynthesis and even fewer understand that WE ARE CARBON-BASED LIFE FORMS. CO2 is essential to life and all "pristine forests" depend on it to survive.

Bejus! Some people are easily brainwashed."

Rob X--

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#30]
MYTH  If I recall correctly, they were predicting another ice age during the mid or late 70's.  I was a kid at that time in Nebraska and I remember the winters being a real bitch.  Now the winters are much more mild, but I see it as a temporary fluctuation.  Our scientist have so little data when you consider just how old the planet is and are mere infants when it comes to actually interpreting much of the data.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:33:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
"The same people who have managed to create a VERY LUCRATIVE cottage industry out of global warming today are the same asswipes who were warning about the New Ice Age in the 1970s. They have no more of a clue about what the climate will be like in 20 years than my goddam dog does. My dog doesn't care because it isn't looking for any money from the scare. The "scientists" are.

Let's see... we were all going to starve, run out of fossil fuel and be packed like sardines in a can due to overpopulation before the year 2000. I heard that gloom and doom bullshit when I was in college in 1971. Not one bit of it came true. Nothing has changed since then except the topic of gloom and doom. Follow the fucking money. Environmentalism is a rich business today.

As far as glaciers go, they have grown and retreated since the dawn of time. That's what glaciers do. They operate on a geological clock quite different from ours, and if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. The one you're concerned about will still be around when you are long gone to dust. Get you mind off the fucking glacier and think about something more constructve, like basket-weaving, or gazing at your own navel.

My aching ass.

Earth abides. This rock is FOUR BILLION YEARS OLD and I believe that anybody who wants to "save the planet" should be dragged off and shot for sheer stupidity and hubris. We couldn't destroy this planet if we tried. We damn sure won't do it by living the way we do today. The air is cleaner, the water is more pure and we all live a lot longer now than when I was born.

Where, exactly, is the fucking "crisis?" It's in research labs that want more money and in classrooms taught by politically-correct teachers who can't read and write. THAT'S where it is.

I'll admit that whoever invented the idea of CO2 being a "greeehouse gas" was one clever sumbitch. He knew good and well when he spouted that shit that very few people understand the process of photosynthesis and even fewer understand that WE ARE CARBON-BASED LIFE FORMS. CO2 is essential to life and all "pristine forests" depend on it to survive.

Rob X--

hr

Very, very well said!
That reminds me of our Georgraphy Teacher (in High School) telling us how Meteorology is a vague and unprecise form of Science etc
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:55:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Global warming is quite plausible. We had an ice age during the middle ages and are still warming up from that period. The cause is most likely the sun, it has been especially active in the last 10 years or so. Global warming caused by pollution that will destroy the world unless we throw away all of our cars and power plants and live like hippies on communes is a total crock, obviously.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I probably should have posted this in the religion forum
I really doubt that anyone will ever change their mind on this topic

it is unfortunate that they call it "global warming"

it should be called something like "climatological destabilization" or "atmospheric fluctuation"

warming at unusual levels\times is only one one of the symptoms
some others are increased flooding, rainfall, droughts and freezes
we're having multiple heavy storms, and flooding in TX, that we didn't
have 20-30 years ago, I just don't believe we are in a "cycle"

and, I don't believe the "cycle" of heating and cooling will allow for the
reappearing of the ice cliffs, permafrost or icebergs that have been
receding for the last ten years unless we have another ice age, not likely

I do think that pollution from cars and factories has overtaxed the Earths natural cleansing
abilities that would come into play for events like forest fires or volcanic eruptions

however, I do not think the process can be reversed, so I am NOT saying that cars and
factories should be halted, just that the longer we go on like this, the harder it will be to breathe

Anybody remember that the big threat in the '70s was an impending ice age?

Could it be that they were reacting to EXTREME climate changes
like we have been having.......record breaking heat, cold and rain?
And, they just didn't understand what it was yet?
I wonder how many people would be more accepting of the concept
if it wasn't called global "warming", I think that name is very misleading
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Not that it is the pass\fail test or anything, but why do so many people get struck by lightning now?
more severe storms? here is another group of people hit by lightning.........

Nineteen Fort Benning Soldiers Struck by Lightning
The Associated Press
Published: Aug 17, 2005
ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBESV82HCE.html
FORT BENNING, Ga. (AP) - A lightning strike amid a drenching rainstorm Tuesday sent 19 Fort Benning soldiers to the hospital.
Most of the soldiers were treated at Martin Army Community Hospital and released, although four remained hospitalized overnight for observation.

The soldiers, who are in basic training, were on their last day of a field exercise and preparing to head back to their barracks because of the weather.

The soldiers were injured even after they spread out as a precaution against lightning, Fort Benning spokeswoman Monica Manganaro said.

"They had them ground their equipment so they weren't holding weapons," she said. "They did all the right things."

The storm brought between 2 and 3 inches of rain to the area.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes Global warming is still a myth. Junk Science at its finest.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Just ask AR15 members
Just ask Kansas.
Gays choose to be gay.
Ask any conservative
ask any religious nut.
Ask George.
See Above.

Wow a bunch of tired rhetoric. You think for yourself?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Guys.....................Guess who it......................Probably ............... is...........

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

He .... Doesnt need to include........ his old screen name.......

Its painfully obvious.

Hi Cyanide.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Really? Now was that when the dinosaurs died out or when the black plauge swept Europe?

Quoted:
We had an ice age during the middle ages and are still warming up from that period.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its painfully obvious.

Hi Cyanide.

I just saw a few of his posts, never had any "exchanges" with him........
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its painfully obvious.

Hi Cyanide.

I just saw a few of his posts, never had any "exchanges" with him........

I am convinced its him. We need a consensus from others though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#42]
-45, that's a warm day at the South Pole.
We had to do a double prop change on an LC-130.

Some "jackass" LCDR ordered the LT PIC to shut the engines off instead of running them for 17+ hours while waiting for the weather to clear.

Quoted:
This winter when its -40 for a month at a time and occasionally dipping down to -60 I want the author of that artical to join me at work for a day. Turning wrenches on the flightline sucks at -45...perhaps that will change his mind.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My aching ass.

Rob X--

Very, very well said!
That reminds me of our Georgraphy Teacher (in High School) telling us how Meteorology is a vague and unprecise form of Science etc

When is the last time you heard anything about acid rain or ozone depletion?

Global warming is just one in a long line of BS crisis supposedly caused by man that will end the world as we know it.

Global warming is about funding and government control of property rights…. can you say socialist.  Create a crisis then scream you need funding to study the problem and insist the government needs to control all aspects of industry.

There may even be some global warming going on, but if there is humans don’t have a damn thing to do with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#44]
The Earth has cooled down and warmed up naturally every 1000's of years or so. How else could we have had an ice age and now enjoy a more temporate climite now?

I am even more amazed by how small minded these "scientists" are.

They think that because they've been recording things for 100 years that anything on that timeline can be used to show trends? HA!

The Earth has been around for millions of years, and they think they can take 30 or 50 years and make a federal case out of it.

Retarded.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:44:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:59:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Global warming! I'm gonna get rich investing in air conditioning companies.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:10:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Of course global warming is real(is's just not caused by man), if it weren't we would be hunting wooly mamoths on snowshoes in Neveda.  The fact is that the earth's been in what we call an ice age for about two thirds of it's known history.  Be damn glad we have global warming and not global cooling.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:30:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Man, I am so frikken sick of hearing about Global Warming I could puke.  That issue is pure politically correct politics pure and simple.  The globalists are trying to use that issue to get power for the UN so that the UN can then lay down the law over any country in the world (read us) in the name of saving the environment.  Where are these idiots during the winter times when were having record blizzards and cold during the winter time.  If it was getting colder instead of warmer they would be crying about global cooling!  That these arrogent asshats can run around and pretend that they in their wisdom can understand  The planet Earth's millinum weather cycls is ludicrous.  Some scientists are just now starting to talk about 10,000 yr weather cycles that have been happening since the planed was formed.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Anytime I hear this stuff I just remember "Silent Spring".  Whatever happened to that, huh?  As I recall it turned out to be a load of crap.  Forgive me for not buying this latest poorly backed excuse for science.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top