Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 10:13:34 PM EDT
Former trooper pleads no contest to sexually assaulting 3 women

by Megan Baldino - Monday, August 15, 2005   Send to a friend | Print this article

Anchorage, Alaska - A former Alaska State Trooper pleaded no contest today to sexually assaulting three Aniak women.

Forty-five-year-old Daniel Scott's trial was expected to begin today in Bethel, but instead he entered his plea. In addition to four years in prison, Scott, an 18-year veteran of the troopers, must register as a sex offender for 15 years after his jail term ends.

Scott was arrested last November, charged with sexually assaulting the women in Aniak between 2002 and 2004, sometimes when he was on duty.

Wow, plead out and get a slap on the wrist  I guess.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

That's the way it usually works.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#2]
he should be wearing one of those leg things with the GPS chip for the rest of his life.

I can't stand "Sexual Offenders" they should all have thier dicks cut off
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:48:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Total fucking  BS .
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
It's gotta suck to be a cop in prison.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:15:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

And your choice of sentences would be....?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:24:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMO Sexual assualt should be death.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:34:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Society will never go for that; its hard enough to get them to agree on the death penalty for homicides.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:39:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was talking to a new girl last night, turns out she was sexually assaulted as a kid.  When I look back at all the girls that I've talked to well over 50% of them have been sexually abused either as a child or teenager.  That type of thing messes the girl up for the rest of her life!  Most have very hard time ever being in a good trusting relationship, they are much more likely to cheat and get divorced, their finances are usually nothing but past due bills and collection items.  Usually the guy who does it has done it to many different girls as sexual predators don't stop they just keep on abusing people and destroying lives.

So tell me what should the penalty be for destroying multiple lives?  It should be a hell of a lot more than 4 years especially since he will most likely continue the behavior once he gets out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:01:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was talking to a new girl last night, turns out she was sexually assaulted as a kid.  When I look back at all the girls that I've talked to well over 50% of them have been sexually abused either as a child or teenager.  That type of thing messes the girl up for the rest of her life!  Most have very hard time ever being in a good trusting relationship, they are much more likely to cheat and get divorced, their finances are usually nothing but past due bills and collection items.  Usually the guy who does it has done it to many different girls as sexual predators don't stop they just keep on abusing people and destroying lives.

So tell me what should the penalty be for destroying multiple lives?  It should be a hell of a lot more than 4 years especially since he will most likely continue the behavior once he gets out.

You are talking about molestation, which is not always neccesarily the same as sexual assault in a states laws. Theres enough variations amongst the states' law books that we're probably going to get in trouble here by trying to use that terminology across the board for every state
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Society will never go for that; its hard enough to get them to agree on the death penalty for homicides.

I know.  It's just frustrating.  It should be a capital offense, and the BG's should get the needle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:42:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are talking about molestation, which is not always neccesarily the same as sexual assault in a states laws. Theres enough variations amongst the states' law books that we're probably going to get in trouble here by trying to use that terminology across the board for every state

While the terms across different states might be different it is all the same behavior, a sexual predator taking advantage of someone.  It shouldn't matter if it was a father or uncle molesting a child, a rapist finding someone in a parking lot, or a grown man taking advantage of someone he knows.  All the above behavior is a form of sexual assault even if the states don't define it as such.  The girls I've talked to have had all the above and more done to them and the negative effect it has had on them is very real.  In my view the punishment for all the different types of assault should be the same and should be severe.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:42:59 AM EDT
[#12]
there's sexual assault and there's sexual assault...need more info on the actual incidences. the story sounds weird, 3 women over 2 yrs, sometimes on duty? wtf? did he coerce these women multiple times? are they coworkers? is this "he said, she said"?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.......................... 4 years is still 1,460 times longer than some of the sentences I have seen.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:56:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[

Who knows if the women were even willing to testify against him? Sometimes it's 4 years for sure v. maybe losing at trial and no time. Just because someone says you did something and you get charged doesn't mean you did everything they claim or that they can prove it at trial. "so Trooper Scott supposedly sexually assaulted you in 2002, but you did not come forward for over three years?" etc.

Most instances never get reported and when they do the woman isn't believed...especially if the male is in a position of authority.  If you are speeding and go to court who does the court believe you or the police officer?  Unless you have hard evidence to prove your case they believe the police officer 100% of the time.  So it's not suprising that the women didn't come forward until there were several of them to give them more credibility.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
While the terms across different states might be different it is all the same behavior, a sexual predator taking advantage of someone.  It shouldn't matter if it was a father or uncle molesting a child, a rapist finding someone in a parking lot, or a grown man taking advantage of someone he knows.  All the above behavior is a form of sexual assault even if the states don't define it as such.  The girls I've talked to have had all the above and more done to them and the negative effect it has had on them is very real.  In my view the punishment for all the different types of assault should be the same and should be severe.

OK, a scenario for you. You are at a party somewhere making out with some female, sorta rounding the bases but not getting to home plate. After the fact she claims that she was an unwilling participant and the jury buys her story. According to your guidelines, its ok for us to kill  you now?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe they should just take him to Wal-Mart and let the LP people catch him shoplifting....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Oh I'm sure he'll be doing plenty of that and more!!!

Official 'Bitch boy', he'll be 'dropping the soap' alot  you can bet on that....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, a scenario for you. You are at a party somewhere making out with some female, sorta rounding the bases but not getting to home plate. After the fact she claims that she was an unwilling participant and the jury buys her story. According to your guidelines, its ok for us to kill  you now?

You are assuming facts not in evidence.

Oh wait, your one of the official AFCOM JBT apologists arn't you........Riiiiight now I get it...(Even when they plead No Contest, the laws don't apply to them. Got 'cha.....)
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You are assuming facts not in evidence.

Oh wait, your one of the official AFCOM JBT apologists arn't you........Riiiiight now I get it...(Even when they plead No Contest, the laws don't apply to them. Got 'cha.....)

I was presenting a scenario in response to SWires comment : "While the terms across different states might be different it is all the same behavior, a sexual predator taking advantage of someone. It shouldn't matter if it was a father or uncle molesting a child, a rapist finding someone in a parking lot, or a grown man taking advantage of someone he knows" . I am not assuming anything, nor was the comment made regarding the incident discussed in the thread starter.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I'm sure he'll be doing plenty of that and more!!!

Official 'Bitch boy', he'll be 'dropping the soap' alot  you can bet on that....

Not likely. LEO's, judges, prosecutor's etc. who are serving time are almost never put into the general population of the prison.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, a VERY close female friend of mine was sexually assulted.

He got 3 months.........then he continued to assult MORE women...MANY women.

The courts are a joke.

Sgat12r5
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

double taps.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When 3 other women come forward and say that he forced himself on them as well...then yes.  I agree one occurance is questionable...but multiple occurances with different women show a pattern.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Probation is not uncommon in sex crimes. Thats what the Haidl defense was going for.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know.  It's just frustrating.  It should be a capital offense, and the BG's should get the needle.

IMHO sex offenders should be castrated.  Repeat offender executed.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your choice?  

I think stuffing him in an enclosed space with Alfranken, Michael Moore, Pauley Shore and Carrot top for 4 years might be enough punishment.

Prison is for resituition, retribution, rehabilitation, and public safety.

Sex crimes are impossible to properly dealt with because: you can't pay back the person you commited the crime against, their ain't enough punishment in the world that can be done, there is NO rehabilitation for sex offenders, and we let these pricks walk so easily.  The anger and fustration instilled by this in some ways inspires fanciful thoughts of various unconstitutional forms of punishment.

I may not have the answers, and I can't say he needs 23.658 years of incarceration, but I know that this particular sentence seems a little short.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What's your choice?  

Not enough detail in the article for me to be able to answer your question.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's your choice?  

www.ktuu.com/CMS/templates/alaska_news/master.asp?articleid=8018&zoneid=4

www.ktuu.com/CMS/templates/alaska_news/master.asp?articleid=8159&zoneid=4

www.ktuu.com/CMS/templates/alaska_news/master.asp?articleid=13663&zoneid=4

What do you mean not enough detail...that guy sexually assaulted several women, sometimes while on duty?  What possible extenuating circumstances could possibly come into consideration?  Whether or not he cared for them?  Possibly if he said he was sorry and would not do it again.  Could he have been abused by his mother?....maybe if he offered to kiss and make up?  None of this makes a difference.  He consciously and deliberately abused women, and used his status as a trooper as a weapon to intimidate and coerce these women.  

How 'bout a rough estimate?  How long should someone be in for for basic rape, say grabbing a girl and without weapons holding her down and raping her?  What IS the sliding scale that we use to determine these things?  What kind of details do you need?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:14:45 AM EDT
[#30]

The courts are a joke

AMEN
There are just some people they don't contribute to society and court is a revolving door where they get go through the system and are right back out in the streets doing what they do best.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:28:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's your choice?  

www.ktuu.com/CMS/templates/alaska_news/master.asp?articleid=8018&zoneid=4

www.ktuu.com/CMS/templates/alaska_news/master.asp?articleid=8159&zoneid=4

www.ktuu.com/CMS/templates/alaska_news/master.asp?articleid=13663&zoneid=4

What do you mean not enough detail...that guy sexually assaulted several women, sometimes while on duty?  What possible extenuating circumstances could possibly come into consideration?  Whether or not he cared for them?  Possibly if he said he was sorry and would not do it again.  Could he have been abused by his mother?....maybe if he offered to kiss and make up?  None of this makes a difference.  He consciously and deliberately abused women, and used his status as a trooper as a weapon to intimidate and coerce these women.  

How 'bout a rough estimate?  How long should someone be in for for basic rape, say grabbing a girl and without weapons holding her down and raping her?  What IS the sliding scale that we use to determine these things?  What kind of details do you need?  

The article was about as short an article as you can have and still call it an article. Not much detail at all. To answer your question, I think rape should be a minimum 10-20 year sentence before they even consider parole. However, don't forget that they didn't say he raped anyone.As per my earlier comment, "sexual assault" does not equal rape. It depends what terminology that states penal alw uses to describe a particular act. If it was rape, they probably would have called it rape.Nor is there any indication that he used his position as  a Trooper to intimidate any of the women involved as you state. The article said some of the incidents may have happened while he was on duty.Thats an indication of bad judgement on the officers part, not criminal behavior. It is most likely a violation of departmental regulations about on-duty behavior .details I would want to see would be the relationship if any to the accused and the reporting parties, facts of the incidents, etc. The article doesn't provide any of that.

And now, having said that, I'll review the article links provided.

Edit to add: ok, having read the first of the articles, of the four women we have a case where they were having consensual sex and he reportedly  got rough, a case of fondling, a case of oral sex, and one woman who said she was raped.Apparently Alaska doesn't have a seperate Rape statute they label as such.

I am not defending this guy, and all other issues aside,he is clearly wrong to be doing any of this in uniform or on agency time. The fact that he took a plea shows that he knows he could lose out in a much bigger way had he taken it to trial. For those of you who protest the length of his sentence under the plea, don't forget that you have to offer the accused some incentive to take  a plea. Otherwise, they have no incentive to take  a plea bargain; they'll just roll the dice at trial and hope for a finding of not guilty. More trials = more expense to the public. If you guys are willing to foot those bills, be sure to attend budget meetings in your towns and counties and let your legislators and DAs know how you feel.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#32]
www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/6820734p-6714307c.html

Trooper gets 4-year prison sentence for sexual assault
HE'LL SERVE LESS: 18-year veteran has maintained his innocence despite no-contest plea.

By LISA DEMER
Anchorage Daily News

(Published: August 16, 2005)

Former Alaska state trooper Daniel Scott was sentenced Monday to four years in prison for sexually assaulting three Aniak women, people he was sworn to protect as a law enforcement officer.

He will actually serve less. With the standard one-third off for good behavior and credit for time served, Scott will be released in less than three years under the plea deal, prosecutor Teresa Foster said after Monday's court hearing in Anchorage.

He must register as a sex offender for 15 years after completing his sentence but will not have to serve any probation.

The case has cost the state nearly $1 million in damages in a related civil suit and tarnished the reputation of the Alaska State Troopers, who handle most law enforcement in rural Alaska.

Scott, 45 and an 18-year veteran of the troopers, denied any wrongdoing even as he pleaded no contest to a single count of second-degree sexual assault that covered accusations from three victims.

In essence, Scott made "a very painful business decision" to take the deal rather than risk a trial and a much longer sentence, defense attorney Sidney Billingslea said.

Most of the incidents happened in the Western Alaska village of Aniak while Scott was posted there.

One woman said Scott forced her to perform oral sex in his patrol car in spring 2004, according to the original charging document. Another said he raped her outside her home in August 2004. The third one said he fondled her in June 2002.

Scott resigned from the troopers not long after his arrest.

He originally faced more serious charges: 11 felony counts, including kidnapping and first-degree sexual assault, and one misdemeanor charge of official misconduct.

Scott told Superior Court Judge Richard Savell that he was willing to plead to the charge "to get on with my life." He has two grown sons, a partner, and friends who are standing behind him, Billingslea said after the hearing.

"In my heart I know I am innocent," Scott said in court.

Both Foster and Billingslea urged the judge to accept the plea deal. The difficult case would have been risky for either side at trial, they said later.

Had Scott been convicted in a trial, he likely would have been sentenced to 10 years, Foster said. But if he were acquitted, that would have been far worse for the victims, she said.

None of the victims came to the hearing or wanted to speak, Foster said. They never wanted to hear his voice again, she said. But several women who supported Scott were there, including one who tearfully hugged Billingslea after the hearing.

A phenomenon lawyers call the "CSI factor" weighed in favor of the plea deal, Foster said. The popular television crime show has led jurors to unrealistic expectations of evidence, she said. They want DNA proof, eyewitnesses and confessions.

In the case against Scott, the women didn't come forward when the assaults happened, so troopers couldn't collect physical evidence, she said. Scott never admitted any assault.

By the time troopers acting on a tip began interviewing the women, four months to more than two years had passed. Memories of witnesses who may have been able to back up parts of the women's stories had dimmed, she said.

"All sorts of issues arise that inhibit reporting and accountability for these crimes," Foster told the judge during the hearing.

"In this particular case, these troublesome factors were made much worse because the man doing the sexual assaulting was a man wearing a blue uniform, driving a nice vehicle with a public safety emblem, carrying a gun and wrapped in all the respect a state trooper brings to our rural communities."

In Aniak, Scott was "someone with a rock star's charisma and charm" and even when some people became alarmed they didn't know what to do, she told the judge.

Still, more than a year before the 2004 assaults, troopers had warnings that Scott was making unwanted sexual comments and passes at women, said Russ Winner, an Anchorage attorney who, along with other lawyers, sued Scott and the Department of Public Safety last year.

The state paid $930,000 to settle the complaint involving five women, according to Winner's office.

Troopers dispute that they were told of sexual misbehavior by Scott before November 2004, spokesman Greg Wilkinson said. As soon as they heard the concerns, they investigated vigorously, he said. A week after the Nov. 9 complaint, Scott was arrested.

Some people might say it was a "lenient resolution," Savell acknowledged. He could have rejected the deal but said he gave leeway to the attorneys who worked it out.

Time in prison will be far different for a former trooper than for a criminal used to jail, the judge said. The sentence shows the community condemns what Scott did, he said.

Foster said the victims and the Tundra Women's Coalition OK'd the deal.

"He'll never work in law enforcement again. For us, that's got to be some comfort," said Meghan Gaughan, an advocate with the coalition that serves victims of sexual abuse and domestic violence in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.

Julia Grimes, director of the Alaska State Troopers, said in a statement that the public should be assured that troopers will police themselves.

"From the very beginning, we stated our intent to hold Daniel Scott accountable for his illegal and outrageous conduct while wearing the uniform and badge of the Alaska State Troopers," she said.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#33]
bumpity.....and thanks for the ADN story..
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Sexual predators can't be helped.  cutting their dicks off wouldn't help.  I agree with another poster...castration then death.   Not necessarily in that order
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top