Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 8:04:00 PM EDT

Unfortunately I have nothing really humorous or clever in my first workings with Photoshop. I read an issue of Popular Photography that dealt with creating a fake shallow depth of field to make a sort of dramatic portrait that reduces background clutter. They had a tutorial on it so I tried it out and here's the result.

Original:

The picture is of my dog Marshall and this is about 10 minutes of quick work. Used layers and made a Gaussian Blur for the background. Result looks decent I think but has that "Photoshopped" feel to it. Did I go too heavy on the blur or was the sharpness to blur too quick?

Opinions please
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Shit, I just realized why his backside looks so odd, I blurred out some of his tail
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
He is levitating.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#4]
You done good, kid.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Is Penthouse still a functioning company?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The original is a pretty good pic. Why photoshop him and make him look like he's he's flying a magic carpet?
Crop the original pic, try a few image enhancments to see if they improve the pic and go from there.
I believe photos should stand on their own, with maybe a little image enhancing to improve the picture. Arty stuff should be left to the guys with paintbrushes. JMHO.

ETA: I take pictures for a living. I usually only crop and resize in PS, if the image cant stand by itself I usually dont even show it to anyone.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Its a nice job.  I like how you faded the background.  I agree with Pooby that the orginal picture is actually pretty good.  How did you do that?  I have this picture of my daughter:

That I really love but in the background is my son's earth moving equipment.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I think if you wanted that kind of effect I'd just put an oval mask on it and blur the mask edge.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#10]
you only want to blur the background and not the foreground.  Try again and repost.  You might want to try to just select the house and add less blur to it.  I think that will help.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Here ya go.

or:

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Its a nice job.  I like how you faded the background.  I agree with Pooby that the orginal picture is actually pretty good.  How did you do that?  I have this picture of my daughter:www.awesomewebmaster.com/Web%20MAR05%20006.jpg

That I really love but in the background is my son's earth moving equipment.  Patty

I was trying to find good pictures so I was wandering around the yard. I looked over and saw my dog sitting nice and handsomely but his head was resting on the ground. I took a rock and threw it to my right (his left) high in the air. Settled down on the ground waiting for it to land, once it did he diverted his attention to see what it was, giving a nice perspective.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#13]
use smaller brushes around the dog, or mask it off would be better
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#14]
The problem with that kind of "Depth of field" exercise is that it's not true DOF. If it were, the ground on the same plane (same distance from the lens) as the dog (cute dog BTW) would be in focus as well. This kind of "DOF" only works if you have a subject like a flower or something where you can just blur the heck out of the background.

The only reason I mention it is because it jumps out at you and for me, it kind of wrecks the illusion that it was done in-camera.

BTW A great way to get rid of that halo effect (where the blurred dog fur in the background bleeds outside of the in-focus dog fur) is to - once you get the subject outlined - use the Rubber Stamp tool to stamp the ground inside of where the dog is on the background. Then do the blur. Voila, no halo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here ya go.

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=12631&iGalleryUnq=1952&iImageUnq=40810www.awesomewebmaster.com/Web%20MAR05%20006.jpg

Very nice. What about the fence?

She didnt mention the fence. I got rid of the toys like she wanted but check my edit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:18:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome job pooby.  I love them both!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#19]
How much is this photoshop software and what type is needed to edit pics?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top