Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2005 7:53:50 PM EDT
I constantly see people here talk about being pulled over for one reason or another by the police.  I find that odd.

In my 15 years of driving, I've been pulled over one time.  It was for speeding (66 in a 55).  Other than that my interactions with police have been limited to the rare road-block fishing expedition.

So, have you been pulled over?  How often?  Seems like some people around here are pulled over monthly, some even more frequently.

I would add a poll, but there are too many options.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I was stopped by an AST last year for 67 in a 55. He gave me a written warning. The time before was in 1986.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was stopped by an AST last year for 67 in a 55. He gave me a written warning. The time before was in 1986.

I didn't know Alabama had state troopers.  I've driven through the state twice and never seen a single state trooper on 59.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You're not hearding about ass loads of people being pulled over all the time.  You're hearing about maybe 3-4 people a month getting pulled over and getting very vocal about it on the board for several days.

I've been pulled over twice for some dipshit stupid thing I've done.  Been stopped for 'sobriety check points' twice.  My interactions have been .  I don't like it, but only once was the cop kindof a jerk (just a guy with a bad attitude/didn't like teenagers).
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Was pulled over about 6 months ago taking wifey to the doctor.  Officer got of his bike came up to the window and asked me where I was gonig in a hurry.  Told him my wife had the flu, was feeling very ill and I was worried about her.   At that point he stepped away from the window, said slow down and take it easy and to carry on.  I then thanked him for his service and went on.

Before that... Pulled over about 5 years ago and was cited for a bunch of shit.  That was a hefty penatly right there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't know Alabama had state troopers.  I've driven through the state twice and never seen a single state trooper on 59.

They have less Troopers today than they did 30 years ago. He happened to live about 1/2 a mile from where he stopped me on my way back home from work. Most are working the interstate construction zones.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You're not hearding about ass loads of people being pulled over all the time.  You're hearing about maybe 3-4 people a month getting pulled over and getting very vocal about it on the board for several days.

I've been pulled over twice for some dipshit stupid thing I've done.  Been stopped for 'sobriety check points' twice.  My interactions have been .  I don't like it, but only once was the cop kindof a jerk (just a guy with a bad attitude/didn't like teenagers).

Nobody likes teenagers, get use to it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been pulled over and ticketed three times in the past few years. Twice for driving without a seatbelt....

The other time I rolled a stop. I did it, and had no problem with the ticket.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nobody likes teenagers, get use to it.

Oh, I got over it seven years ago when I stopped being a teenager.  Thanks anyway though.    Sure was a fun time of life.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been pulled over and ticketed three times in the past few years. Twice for driving without a seatbelt....

so women do get tickets
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so women do get tickets

Sometimes
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Only been stopped once myself, though I don't drive that many miles a year compared to most folks.  The seat belt laws in a lot of states give the police an easy reason to pull you over....if they want to, but, I think, most cops don't really want to stop you just for something simple like that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So, have you been pulled over?

\

1989: Warned by Ovid PD for MIP
1989: Pulled over by Lansing PD, warned for lane use.
1992: Cited for Speed by CHP
1993: Warned for speed by Missouri Highway Patrol.
1993: Cited by Oceanside PD for redlight.
1995: Warned by OCSD for Speeding.
1996: Warned by CHP for speeding, three times.
1997: Warned by CHP for entering carpool lane at wrong point.
2002: Warned by OCSD for redlight, that I didnt run (K9 officer hunting for drunks).
2003: Warned by OCSD for redlight, again that I did not run, and tailgating which I did do (Damn motorcycle cops.)
2003: Warned by Nevada state trooper and texas trooper on same morning.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#13]
about 15 times in 30 years, about three of them in the last 10 years
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so women do get tickets

Yep.  In fact it gives me many opportunities to use my favorite one liner.

Female driver:  I thought you guys didnt give tickets to pretty women.
rehearsed response: "we dont ma'am."
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Never been pulled over, but I'm only 21
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Five times in the last four years. One ticket, one

ETA: make that nine times in four years i knew there were more than five
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't really remember how many times I've been
stopped over the years , but it's quite a few .

The vast majority were BS stops after
3am when they are out trolling for drunks .
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so women do get tickets

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Well,

There was that ODD time a motorcycle exited a gas-station on one wheel.....  

For some strange reason, ..

I got the damn ticket.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So, have you been pulled over?

\

1993: Warned for speed by Missouri Highway Patrol.
1993: Cited by Oceanside PD for redlight.
1995: Warned by OCSD for Speeding.
1996: Warned by CHP for speeding, three times.
1997: Warned by CHP for entering carpool lane at wrong point.
2002: Warned by OCSD for redlight, that I didnt run (K9 officer hunting for drunks).
2003: Warned by OCSD for redlight, again that I did not run, and tailgating which I did do (Damn motorcycle cops.)
2003: Warned by Nevada state trooper and texas trooper on same morning.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I've only been pulled over twice in the past 20 years, both times for a burned out tail light.

Both instances resolved w/o gunfire, in spite of my appearance.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Been pulled over once in a Hummer (H1 4-door soft top) so he could look at the car and let me go - verbal warning for "obstructing traffic at a stop sign" - I stopped for a couple seconds too long at midnight on an empty street.

Pulled over in a really strict area (Mill Valley, for anyone in the area) for a burnt out tail light that wasn't burnt out (at least not when I verified when I got home) no warning or citation.

Pulled over again by bored cops for a bogus reason (calmly told me that I tried to run over another officer with my car, and was going waaaaaaaay over the speed limit.) They let me go without a warning or citation (totally bogus pull-over)

Cited once for speeding by CHP.

Seems to average about once every 24 months. I try to be polite regardless of how bunk the excuse was. They've never asked to search my vehicle at any of the stops.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been pulled over twice in the last 1.2 million miles that I've driven. Written warnings both times.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Ovid PD! One of the two officers must have gotten you. They have a cool patch with a barn on it.  It seems we travel in similar circles. I was cited by Lansing PD in 1989 for "failure to yield right of way". I was also cited by CHP in 1992 between Susanville and Herlong for 71 in a 55.  In 2000, I got hit doing 85 in a 65 by Washtenaw County and received a ticket for 70.

Last summer I was pulled over 5 times within one month. No tickets though. The same Trooper got me three times.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:16:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Once for my plate light burning out.  No ticket.  First time being pulled over, scared the hell out of me.  Guy was a total dick about it.

2nd time: 15 over in a residential area.  Ticket issued.  Cop was really nice, knocked down the fee since I didn't lie to him about it.

3rd time: Headlight was smashed out and the cop wanted to make sure I knew my headlight was out.  No ticket, another nice cop.

4th: Speeding in a school zone.  Cop was bored, and the cops in my town are dicks.  No ticket, but I got whiplash from the verbal assualt he gave me.

All before I was 18.  Haven't been pulled over since.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Pulled over 5 times, ticketed only once.

Twice got into arguments with the JBT and they still gave me warnings.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#27]
I got pulled over about 2 years ago.  The cop came up to the window and asked me if I knew why he stopped me.  I told him, "Yep.  As soon as I saw you I looked down at my speedometer and thought damn... good bust".

He chuckled and said. "You're right but I'll cut you some slack" (I was WAY over the limit after getting back into a 55 MPH area from the Beeline toll road).  Last time before that was somewhere around 8 or 10 years ago - speeding then too .
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:13:02 AM EDT
[#28]
never been pulled over while i was driving.... with idiot friends now thats a different story
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:23:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:34:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Lets see:

1990: Careless Driving Pensacola PD...cited
1993: Speedingx2 (Georgia State Trooper and Fairfax City PD)...cited both times
1994: Running stop signs (x6) Pensacola Jr. College Police...verbal warning
1995: Improper Backing (good story)...cited
1999: Speedingx2 (Virginia State Police and Chesapeake PD)...cited both times

Nothing since...I am a MUCH better driver now.

shooter
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:39:26 AM EDT
[#31]
1990: Cited for reckless driving by Kutztown University campus police:  My tires squealed around a corner.  

1991: Cited for Speeding by Chincoteageu State Park ranger for doing 35 in a 25

1993: Cited for Speeding by Wildwood police: 45 in a 35 on Ocean Drive.  

1995: Cited for speeding by Maryland troopper 97mph on I95

1997: pulled over and given a verbal warning by West Norriton police for 45 in a 35.

1997 Cited for reckless driving by Upper Merion Police for doing "well over 100mph"  Ticket was "fixed" by police that frequented the pizzaria I worked at.

2002: Cited for "disbedience to traffic laws" (non points ticket) by East Norriton Police
for running a yellow light

2003: Cited for "disbedience to traffic laws" (non points ticket) for following a PA State trooper on the turnpike doing 85mph.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:55:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Ticketed by a Kansas State trooper outside Ft Riley for 70 in a 55, 1982.  That's all.

The  KSU women's dorm in Manhattan was pretty far away from post, and formation was 0515.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#33]
1999: 79 in a 70 I was going to College in WV and got the citation simply because of my out of state tags.

2001: 73 in a 55 Just finished passing someone on a 2 lane on my way to college (transfered). I explained that I was trying to get to a meeting w/ a counselor and I guess the cop was a clemson fan because I was only issued a ticket for 9 over, which I gladly paid.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:00:49 AM EDT
[#34]
twice for peeling out.

once for speeding (76/60).  $236.50 when all was said and done
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:05:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Pulled over for my actions:  Once for speed in 1991
                                              Once for speed in 1999

I work in/around construction areas.  Often I come and go at weird hours (refueling generators, checking pumps, etc).  Many times I have been stopped/approached by LEO to verify who I was and that I belonged there.  I am always grateful for this.  I can't describe that amount of crap I have had stolen from these areas.

Dan
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I was pulled over twice in the 70s in rural North Carolina on the way to my boat in Oriental. Neither time for any infraction. I was driving an MGB w/ Ft. Bragg decal- maybe I looked suspicious with my close cropped, freshly scrubbed face.
One time was when I took a detour I alway took thru a small burg to miss the one traffic light. Local yokel. "Why'd you take this route thru town?" Other time was shortly after pulling out of a grocery store parking lot shortly before the turn off to the marina. Highway Patrol.
On the other hand a Columbia SC officer gave me a break at 3am on my way back to Fayetteville. He was ex military.
Since then I've been pulled over twice for minor infractions.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:27:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Once for 74 in a 50 in 1995.  Ticket.
Once on a late-night fishing expedition in 1997.  No ticket or warning.  Did nothing wrong.
Once for 87 in a 65 in 2002.  Ticket.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:31:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I've never been pulled over while driving.  My mom got pulled over years ago for not stopping completely at a stop sign, and my dad got pulled over for a broken taillight and illegally tinted windows.

IIRC both were verbal warnings.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so women do get tickets

I've walked up to cars and could see the female unbuttoning her blouse. I always cited those.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:41:27 AM EDT
[#40]
So far, in 7 years of driving, I have not yet been pulled over for anything.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#41]
1995: Speeding (cited)
1996: Speeding (warned)
1996: Speeding (warned)
1996: No PC for stop that I saw, nothing was mentioned, but I was headbanging like crazy while stopped at a stoplight with a trooper behind me, so I got stopped (warning)
1997: Speeding (didn't stop, got away because trooper didn't have four wheel drive)
2000: Speeding (warned)
2002: Speeding (cited)
2002: Speeding (cited) six months apart, same spot as before.
2003: Speeding, Georgia State Patrol (warned) he wanted to talk about my bike on the trailer behind me.
2003: Speeding, BFE New Jersey police department (warned) day after the GA stop. Truly BS here. Speedtrap if there ever was one.
2005: Speeding. Same department my wife works for, pulled over by one of the guys she was dispatching. When she saw my tag, she had the officer call her and (jokingly) told him if I got a ticket, he'd be writing reports the rest of the month. (warned)

Hmmmm that's it. I've been lucky as hell, and have now learned my lesson.

Edited to add more.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#42]
To the best of my knowledge I was pulled over numerous times.
issued citations for the following in over a 20 year span:
In NYC:
expired registration
speeding
running red light
in NJ:
speeding 3 times
wreck-less driving
in MN:
speeding 3 times
in IN or OH
speeding
ETA: warned at least 5 times in my driving history.
This has caused my rate to skyrocket to the point I couldn't afford the insurance. Only way to get it down to a manageable rate is voluntarily surrender my DL for 1 year. This was in my early to mid 20's
Paid high risk rate for several years and attended classes to reduce points.
I am now in the good driver rate. Don't be stupid like me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#43]
3 speeding tickets in 30 years; not too bad.   However, about 20 years ago my wife and I were pulled over just after dark after a trip to the grocery store.  I wasn't  speeding, had no tail lights out...No obvious reason for the stop.   Two officers got out; both were flashing us and the passenger seat with their lights.   I started getting nervous when I saw both had thier hands on their sidearms.  One stayed at the back of the car and the other came up and asked for license and registration.  My wife asked what was going on, but didn't get an answer.  He returned my documents, said we could go and that was it.

We must have fit somebodies description...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

We must have fit somebodies description...

I had this happen.  Ohio Highway Patrol.  She pulled me over at 3:30am.  Asked if I was having a nice night.  I said 'yes'.  She said 'thank you & drive carefully' and went back to her car.  I thought it was odd she never asked for any sort of ID or anything.  Just if I was having a nice night.  I figured vehicle must have matched a description but I did not.

Dan
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:31:48 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so women do get tickets

I've walked up to cars and could see the female unbuttoning her blouse. I always cited those.

See the coochie and STILL piss her off. One of the side bennies of the job.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#46]
The last (of two times) I was pulled over was in 1995. Prior to that was 1989. Both tickets were for speeding.The first one I was speeding, admitted it, paid the fine. The second was a local cop trolling for revenue. It was bs, so I fought the ticket, and won.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#47]
3 times in 23 years of driving.  Twice for speeding (I was).  Once for running a red light (it was yellow when I started through the intersection but changed to red  while I was in it).

No tickets.....   Received only a warning each time.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#48]
I've been driving for a little over 10 years now, and never got pulled over until the last couple years.

First time: Jan 03, Base police pulled me over on the way home from work, said my plates on my VW were registered to a truck.  Problem is, I still had obvious IL temp tags(had just moved here, MD), and he was trying to read them as MD tags.

Second time:  Spring, 03 Base police pulled me over and said I crossed the center-line, was swerving(driving on a cruved stretch of road), and had my brights on.  None of the above was true, so he gave me a written warning for "failure to use headlights."  He was a dick, I started to argue, but then just decided F it because it was just a warning.

Third time:  Summer 03, went around a corner at about 35mph, cop was sitting behind an old bank out of site until after you round the corner and look back.  He was pissed, I was polite, made no excuses, and he gave me a ticket for failure to update information becuase I still had an IL drivers license(with MD plates).

Forth Time: June 05, doing 70 in a 55, 2-lane highway just before dark.  Had made it all the way from AZ to MD without issue, then State trooper pulled me over about 5-10 miles into MD.  He was pretty cool, asked me when I was last pulled over for speeding, which was never.  He just gave me a written warning for "64+ in a 55."

As fast I used to drive, I can't believe I've never had a speeding ticket.  I used to regularly drive 100+ on the highway if there wasn't much traffic, I swear I have a 6th sense when it comes to avoiding tickets.  But I know I can't get away with it forever, so I've slowed down a lot in the last couple years.  I usually stay within 5 around town, and 10 on the highway, or whatever is consistant with traffic.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#49]
I have gotten one ticket in the last ten years. It was for going the wrong way on a freeway. Scared the crap out of me and the CHP I almost hit.
Since it was in the early morning, 5:00 am, he said it really woke him up. All I wanted to do was collect the ticket and finish my coffee. It was a long drive home.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#50]
I've been pulled over twice.

1)  One headlight out.  Just got a friendly warning.
2)  Having headlights off at 2:00 AM.  I had been at a friend's dorm playing games and watching a movie with several friends, and I didn't have the headlights on because the street was well-lit and I didn't notice they were off.  The cop probably thought it was suspicious for a college student to be driving in the middle of the night with no headlights.  Again, friendly warning.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top