Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 7:48:40 PM EDT
Here it goes;

I am currently 16 years old. My parents have already bought me a 05 Ford F-150 and are paying gas and insurance. How lucky can you get? I have a nice collection of weapons, 17 in all, ranging from a reproduction 1861 musket to a tricked out Bushmaster M4. I make trips to the range about once a week, but I do not shoot alot of rounds due to money constraints. Currently I just mow our yard and do odd and end jobs for spare cash. But thats getting kinda babyish and I really need to move on.

School will start next Wednesday on August 24th 2005. With it I will be going in to honor classes and AP courses which require alot of extra work. Now, I do not have any extra activites going on, no football, band, chess club, nothing like that. It is just go to school, go home and do about 2 hours of homework depending on the day.

There are many things I want; I want more ammo to shoot at the range, I want a SIG 226 and I have the black rifle disease. Of course with $25 a week I cannot fill those needs. My only option is to get a job. Well, wouldn't you know it? My best friend since we were born calls me tonight at about 10:00pm EST saying that there is a job opening at our local restaurant where he works. He says that all you have to do is clean tables and it pays about $6.25 an hour. With school he said I should get about 18 hours of work in a week. With taxes taking out thats roughly about $100. Big jump from $25. I have previous work experience at McDonalds during my previous summer when I was 15. I made money and the work was easy without school interferance.

I do not know if I should take this job. Would school work become too much with a job, or could I easily handle it since I have no extra school activites? Yes it would be nice to have extra money. I do not have much of a social life so the hours wouldn't interfere with parties and such.

My question to you out there with YEARS of life experience is what should I do? Should I take the job that my friend has recomended and begin raking in the cash? Or should I sit back and focus on my last few years before I start college? I am asking you guys because you have lived lives and have much more wisdom than me. You have had time to reflect on your life and what you did wrong/right. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Pass on the resturant job.   $6.25 an hour isn't crap.

You can make $15 an hour mowing lawns.

Either work doing something you love - gun shop (? possible?), bicycle shop, whatever, or better yet run your own business.

My buddies son is clearing about $15 an hour doing a lawn busines (he's 15) and wants to go work at a sporting goods store - wrong answer.

Learn a skill, or work for yourself and make more $$

Remember - $6 cash is worth about $8 in a paycheck
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
At 16 years old I'd be surpised you'd get any guns at all.

Save your money and get a Makarov. They're cheap, reliable, and pretty good all-around pistols.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You're 16, you have a new truck and 17 guns. You don't need a job, enjoy your free time, study hard and get into a good college.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes you have to take a lower wage job that you can work more hours at to make more money. Think about raises too. If you get an $8 an hour job that is going to be the same for two years, or a job that pays $7, but you get $.60 raises every 6 months, then you know which one will work out better by the time you graduate high school.

Think about places where you might be able to come back and work during summers home from college too. I wish I had, I spent 3 weeks trying to find a summer job this year. I figure I lost about $1000 because of it. (Plus during breaks and stuff too)

Oh!, and if you want to stop working there, don't burn bridges! You might need to come back later.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Try putting in applications at grocery stores. They are always looking for boxboys or baggers. Look clean and you will get the job.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You're 16, you have a new truck and 17 guns. You don't need a job, enjoy your free time, study hard and get into a good college.

He's right.  Don't fuck around now, just finish school and get into a good University.  The toys will pay for themselves when you eventually land a REAL job.  Leave the food services stuff behind...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want decent money. Be a waiter at a nice restraunt. Not Applebees or some fast food joint. Im talkin about places **** 4 star places. They may have you start out working washing dishes BUT if you tell them beforehand that what you really want to be is a waiter they may accomadate you.  Tips is where you make your money.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's right.  Don't fuck around now, just finish school and get into a good University.  The toys will pay for themselves when you eventually land a REAL job.  Leave the food services stuff behind...

this is excellent advice too. Go to college so you can land some real bucks.

this job you are looking for should only be for the next two years and no longer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Get whatever job you can that you can tolerate. Any $$$ is better than no $$$. If you're like me you'd be surprised what kind of work you'll put up with to make a few bucks. I make $8.50 an hour to be a dishwasher and be the kitchen of every chef in the place. When I'm not scrubbing down their work mats and sorting rancid food to be thrown out it's hot and sweaty dishes. I just let my mind wander and think of what I'd love to buy but could never afford.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I mowed yards as a kid and racked in more $$$ than my friends with "real" jobs.
Maybe see if you can catch a few yards in the hood and remember "CASH IS KING!!!"

On the other side of the coin...I refuse to do anything that remotely resembles manual labor these days

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don't want to be working megahours, you have a few choices, and they don't involve $6 an hour jobs:

- work as a waiter in a place that gets good tips

- do lawns - heck, I made $15 to $30 an hour back in 1980 doing lawns!

- do other household chores - clean gutters, etc....

- go sell something where you get commission

working for hourly chump change is for suckers.... unless you are doing something you love, or learning a trade
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#12]
WTF!?!?!?! I'm 19, can afford pistols but I'm not allowed to have them because of the damn laws despite being a reservist!!!

You're a spoiled kid because every weapon I own I had to buy myself. And I'd love to have a pistol. I can afford most pistols easily but I'm screwed over as I live in NY. You won't get any advice from me you spoiled kid.

But as I've learned at your age, minimum wage barely pays the gas to get to the job.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here it goes;

I am currently 16 years old. My parents have already bought me a 05 Ford F-150 and are paying gas and insurance. How lucky can you get? I have a nice collection of weapons, 17 in all, ranging from a reproduction 1861 musket to a tricked out Bushmaster M4. I make trips to the range about once a week, but I do not shoot alot of rounds due to money constraints. Currently I just mow our yard and do odd and end jobs for spare cash. But thats getting kinda babyish and I really need to move on.

School will start next Wednesday on August 24th 2005. With it I will be going in to honor classes and AP courses which require alot of extra work. Now, I do not have any extra activites going on, no football, band, chess club, nothing like that. It is just go to school, go home and do about 2 hours of homework depending on the day.

There are many things I want; I want more ammo to shoot at the range, I want a SIG 226 and I have the black rifle disease. Of course with $25 a week I cannot fill those needs. My only option is to get a job. Well, wouldn't you know it? My best friend since we were born calls me tonight at about 10:00pm EST saying that there is a job opening at our local restaurant where he works. He says that all you have to do is clean tables and it pays about $6.25 an hour. With school he said I should get about 18 hours of work in a week. With taxes taking out thats roughly about $100. Big jump from $25. I have previous work experience at McDonalds during my previous summer when I was 15. I made money and the work was easy without school interferance.

I do not know if I should take this job. Would school work become too much with a job, or could I easily handle it since I have no extra school activites? Yes it would be nice to have extra money. I do not have much of a social life so the hours wouldn't interfere with parties and such.

My question to you out there with YEARS of life experience is what should I do? Should I take the job that my friend has recomended and begin raking in the cash? Or should I sit back and focus on my last few years before I start college? I am asking you guys because you have lived lives and have much more wisdom than me. You have had time to reflect on your life and what you did wrong/right. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks everyone!

I just graduated this year and am on my way to college. In your situation, I honestly feel that you should skip out of the job during the school year. Concentrate on your studies and start committing time to an extra-curricular activity that you enjoy and can succeed in. Trust me, this can pay off when you get into a good college.

When next May rolls around, start looking for a summer job to keep you occupied. But for now, school is most important. It will pay off in the end.

BTW, I did not get a job until the 2nd semester of my senior year (when I had already got into college). With the course load I had, I really made an effort to be involved in worthwhile extracurriculars and get straight As all at the same time. Turns out it was definately worth it as I got into a great college and made plenty of money over the summer.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
WTF!?!?!?! I'm 19, can afford pistols but I'm not allowed to have them because of the damn laws despite being a reservist!!!

You're a spoiled kid because every weapon I own I had to buy myself. And I'd love to have a pistol. I can afford most pistols easily but I'm screwed over as I live in NY. You won't get any advice from me you spoiled kid.

But as I've learned at your age, minimum wage barely pays the gas to get to the job.

damn, your bitter.
get over it
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Best job you can have right now is a self employeed type.  I just got my son and daughter [ages 16 & 14 respectively] started in their own business.  My son washes windows for $10 an hour.  Start up cost me about $50 bucks.  He made his own business cards on the computer and goes door to door leaving his cards with people or on their doors.  On his cards he has "By Appointment Only" so he can go to football practice and school when it starts.  Once schools starts he'll only really have time to wash windows on Saturday.

Right now with minimal effort he's making about $300 a week.

My daughter I got her started washing cars.  Again by appointment only.  She's done the same thing as my son has done.  Her business hasn't kicked off as well but she hasn't been putting a lot of effort in it.  She's making about $75 a week.  Her start up costs were slightly less.

No taxes, set your own hours, excellent way to learn to budget time, money and etc.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn, your bitter.
get over it

Well, does it make any sense a all to you?

F***ed up world we live in.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn, your bitter.
get over it

It's not fair but unfortunately you live in a screwed up state but that isn't the kids fault.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Best job you can have right now is a self employeed type.  I just got my son and daughter [ages 16 & 14 respectively] started in their own business.  My son washes windows for $10 an hour.  Start up cost me about $50 bucks.  He made his own business cards on the computer and goes door to door leaving his cards with people or on their doors.  On his cards he has "By Appointment Only" so he can go to football practice and school when it starts.  Once schools starts he'll only really have time to wash windows on Saturday.

Right now with minimal effort he's making about $300 a week.

My daughter I got her started washing cars.  Again by appointment only.  She's done the same thing as my son has done.  Her business hasn't kicked off as well but she hasn't been putting a lot of effort in it.  She's making about $75 a week.  Her start up costs were slightly less.

No taxes, set your own hours, excellent way to learn to budget time, money and etc.

Patty

Good job Patty!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn, your bitter.
get over it

It's not fair but unfortunately you live in a screwed up state but that isn't the kids fault.

Yeah, living in NY will do that to you.

But minimum wage as I said, ain't worth it since you can do more productive things instead.

You can be an entrepenuer because you have nothing to lose and no bills to pay.

And in the winter, take advantage of unshoveled driveways(unless you live in one of those areas where the local gov't does it for you), helped me gain a lot of money.
At your age I've made 95% of my money doing oddjobs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top