Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 6:19:48 PM EDT
shimano or diawa?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Shimano
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the Calcutta series from Shimano for my bait-casters and Diawa for my spinning reels.

I do a lot of backcountry fishing, so I need salt-water proof gear. My Calcutta's are 10 years old and still kicking ass. My Diawa BG's and SS's are about 7 years old and I love them.

I've been using my Abu-Garcia bait caster for bass fishing lately. Here's a nice bass I caught over 4th of July weekend. She weighed 5 pounds but i'm using 8lb test and a silver 1/2 oz. rattle-trap.

We got severly poured on about 10 minutes after I caught this bass. Hailed like hell about 1 minute after that. By the time I ran back to my Jeep, I had lumps on my head!

HS1
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
HS1,

Nice fish
Was that over at the golf course in Hollywood off Sheridan?

I'm a bit of old school so my favorite reels are old Ambassador bait casters that I got about 25 years ago.  I usually use my 5500C for freshwater and light saltwater and the 6500C for most saltwater fishing.  That 6500C has pulled in a lot of inlet snooks in 25 years.  Both reels were rebuilt couple times but they still work great.

I'm sure modern reels are much better than my old ones but new ones look so  delicate with a lot of gadgets (just more things to break).   Also, bass fishing doesn't require such strain on your gear and fish don't care what gear you use so just get one that feels good to you and fits your budget.  Saltwater fishing is totally different and you want ot get heavy duty gear.      

Here is a pic of 5 lb. peacock bass from the lake behind my house

and a 6 lb. bass from same lake

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Shimano for baitcasting. Just make sure you spend enough to get instant anti-reverse.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I got two 153 diawa advantage, love them one curado sf, love it because it's obedient and places the lure where I want it. I was asking because I wanted another reel and shimano's curado-D is looking great but with the 7.0:1 gear ratio, I am at a loss as to what type of application to use it for? Any suggestions, oh by the way nice bass and on 8# test , well you're one confident guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top