Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 4:12:31 PM EDT

I think it's safe to say that cell phones are here to stay.
So what's it going to take for the industry to get its act together
and decide on a single standard for service ?
We keep buying the products and services and paying handsomely
for them;  yet who here doesn't experience dropped calls or dead zones
on a daily basis ?
I can't think of another "utilility" that has grown so quickly with such a
sketchy performance record. Is it time for a consumer rebellion or for the
Fed gov to step in ?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
no.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
And another thing.  The cell phone companies should have to put one tower in a shitty area for every ten in high volume areas.  As it is now, they get to cherry pick the best locations and rural folks can't get service.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Verizon digital service in a large metropolitian area, Philadelphia and surrounding suburbs. No excuses for a region like this, have poor reception and dropped calls in some areas, alot of "can you hear me now"
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the problem isn't so much the equipment as the terrain. there is only so much you can do with a low power radio in a building or in rough terrain. the cost of putting a tower everywhere would put the cost of service out of reach.

No. It's lack of equipment standardization.
Other countries have rough terrain and they manage to get it right.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the problem isn't so much the equipment as the terrain. there is only so much you can do with a low power radio in a building or in rough terrain. the cost of putting a tower everywhere would put the cost of service out of reach.

But I've heard that there are places in other countries where there are absolutely NO dead zones.  My uncle was in England a few weeks ago and he said the cell phone coverage was much better than here.  What do they do differently over there?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I just want a higher output cellphone.  My dad used to have a true car phone... it kicked ass, you left it in the car, it weighed a good 10 lbs, but it never dropped calls.  When we moved to Ohio, they didn't provide service for it, so he had to get a normal shitty one.

What is it, two watts?  Give me the one that causes brain cancer if used more than 100 minutes a week.  Just slap a warning label on it and a big battery.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Consumer REVOLT!  Aux barricades!  Tear up the paving stones and raise the red flag!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Satallite phones for everyone!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Whiney uneducated consumers.

I love it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I love it.

Thank you!  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#12]
They got us suckered with computer performance first. Once we got used to that crap the cell phone shit was easy to get us to swallow.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think it's safe to say that cell phones are here to stay.
So what's it going to take for the industry to get its act together
and decide on a single standard for service ?
We keep buying the products and services and paying handsomely
for them;  yet who here doesn't experience dropped calls or dead zones
on a daily basis ?
I can't think of another "utilility" that has grown so quickly with such a
sketchy performance record. Is it time for a consumer rebellion or for the
Fed gov to step in ?

You really should read up on what the hell you are talking about before you talk.  Remove all doubt and all that...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love it.

Thank you!  

It reminds me of those 16 year old "Daddys Girl" I see on the likes of MTV who stamp their foot on the ground and throw a tantrum because Daddy wont buy them a brand new Mercedes Benz.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. It's lack of equipment standardization.
Other countries have rough terrain and they manage to get it right.

You think that rural cellular in europe is better than here?  Holy christ that is the dumbest thing I've read on this board today, and that is saying something.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love it.

Thank you!  

It reminds me of those 16 year old "Daddys Girl" I see on the likes of MTV who stamp their foot on the ground and throw a tantrum because Daddy wont buy them a brand new Mercedes Benz.

No idea the planning, infrastructure, architecture, manpower and money that goes into building a relatively decent cellular network.  It's laughable.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yet who here doesn't experience dropped calls or dead zones
on a daily basis ?

I am probably one of the few folks that have not experienced any drop calls, dead spots or the "can you here me know" scenario, ever since I switched to Cingular about 1.5yrs ago. Have used the service in Dallas, S.F. bay area, Stockton,CA, L.A. and Orange County, CA, and lastly here in N.O. Never have had a drop call or a weak signal. Matter of fact where I worked in dntn Dallas, I was able to use my GSM phone in the elevator. Same here in N.O.

That is funny, every since AT&T merged with Cingular my coverage area has gotten smaller, I have more dropped calls and my signal goes from full bars to none without even moving.  Verizon is the best thing going around here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
And another thing.  The cell phone companies should have to put one tower in a shitty area for every ten in high volume areas.  As it is now, they get to cherry pick the best locations and rural folks can't get service.

Yes. Initially they cherry pick the best deals. Wouldn't you if it were your money?

Soon you have lots of trained & equipped crews and an established supply network and financing. You can then afford smaller markets
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love it.

Thank you!  

No idea the planning, infrastructure, architecture, manpower and money that goes into building a relatively decent cellular network.  It's laughable.  

Exactly.
I really think the "standardization" comment was funny as hell really.
Sure is a pity a Cingular phone cant call a Verizon phone cause the industy isnt "standardized"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top