Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 12:19:10 PM EDT

LAS CRUCES, N.M. - New Mexico State University's mascot, Pistol Pete, is being disarmed. University officials have also stripped the word "Pistol" from Pete's name. The new logo shows Pete twirling a lasso. The old Pete toted a pistol.

The changes are part of a marketing plan to remake the university's image on the national stage. Officials have been working on a redesign of Pistol Pete for months.

Athletics director McKinley Boston said the university plans to unveil the new Pete later this month.

The decision to remove the pistol had more to do with a consensus when picking from several designs of the new logo, rather than any push for the mascot to stop brandishing a weapon, Boston said.

He acknowledged there are mixed feelings among alumni, but said he has heard more positive feedback than negative.

Though no one seems to know exactly how long Pete has been around NMSU, the current costume is 40 years old.

Oscar Avalos, a 2003 NMSU graduate, was disappointed that Pete will no longer be packing his pistol at sporting events.

"Is he going to be Lasso Pete now?" Avalos asked.

NMSU also has unveiled new football uniforms and helmets, and officially designated crimson and white as its colors, eliminating black from all uniforms.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050815/ap_on_sp_co_ne/aggie_mascot

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Forum Search Limited To 1000 Results (20 Pages) :: 4 Results Found :: Compiled In 2 Seconds
Topic
Author
Replies
Read
Board
Forum
Last Post

Pistol Pete is being disarmed!
 BigDozer66  
General
General Discussion
Go To Last Post In Thread8/15/2005 4:21:50 PM EDT
by fight4yourrights

N.M. State's 'Pistol Pete' Losing Pistol
 jvic  
General
General Discussion
Go To Last Post In Thread8/15/2005 4:05:45 PM EDT
by Triumph955i
Topic Locked

No More Pistol Pete
 johndel  
General
General Discussion
Go To Last Post In Thread8/15/2005 4:03:40 PM EDT
by Shoot-N-Scoot
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
and i posted in all three of them!

+1
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Well it seems the search feature doesn't always work.

You show it listed 4 results but I only see 3 there?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=379671
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Pistol Pete....Is alive and well

He lives in STILLWATER OKLAHOMA!!!

Pistols and all.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Liberal board of directors
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

img167.imageshack.us/img167/1084/petebw0ej.jpg

Pistols and all.

I think I understand why.  Check out the finger on trigger on a holstered revolver.

That dude is unsafe!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img167.imageshack.us/img167/1084/petebw0ej.jpg

Pistols and all.

I think I understand why.  Check out the finger on trigger on a holstered revolver.

That dude is unsafe!!!!!!

Not really.

From what we can see in the drawing is a short finger. the holster is blocking veiw of the trigger finger touching the tirgger and for all we know, pistol pete lost half of his index finger in a terrible butter churning accident.

I say, put a smile on pete to ease the antis feelings.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#10]
luckily, our mascot (looks kind of like yosemite sam)  has not been victim of being disarmed.  it may be quite awhile since lubbock is one of the most conservative cities in the nation.  i always wondered if those “shotgun pistols” are really just sbr’s……  go tech!

RAIDER RED
Prior to the 1971 season, the Southwest Conference passed a rule that prevented members of the conference from taking live animals to non-home games unless the host team had no objections. So Jim Gaspard, a member of Saddle Tramps, created Raider Red from a drawing by the late Lubbock cartoonist Dirk West as an alternative to the Masked Rider when the horse couldn't travel with the football team. Raider Red's student persona is kept a secret from the Tech community. Red is a public relations mascot who shakes hands with the crowds at athletic events and poses for pictures. Raider Red fires his two 12-gauge shotguns using powder-filled shells after every Tech touchdown and field goal.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Should make him easier to rob now.  Hey if they are robbing him instead of me, then I won't have to shoot anyone for robbing me.  Everyone is happy, cept poor pete.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Dupe #3 #4 who cares! I still cant figure out why you guys cant do a 10 second search in the first place!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Dupe #3 #4 who cares! I still cant figure out why you guys cant do a 10 second search in the first place!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top