Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 10:58:50 AM EDT
Looks like it's going to be new car time.  I'm a fan of the Toyota car and trucks, but I'm a cheap bastard too....  Been looking at the employee discounts going on for the new vehicles and I've got some GM rebate money from the cc available that should knock a chunk off the price also.  And I want something economical on gas.  Anybody have any personal or close friend experience with the Chevy Cavalier or Cobalt?  Actual gas mileage and durability, or are they just another pos?  Or does anybody recommend going the used Toy route (not really enthused about this idea)?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#1]
you can pay for it now or pay for it later.....get a Corolla
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a Pontiac Vibe.

Its a Toyota (to the dismay of GM worshippers everywhere) and you should be able to get the GM discount.

Toyota reliability, and great milage.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't driven a Cobalt, but I sat in one and it's horrible inside. You have to smash your leg against the center console to get your foot on the gas pedal. It's like the pedals aren't where they should be...dumb ass hell.

BTW, they don't make Cavaliers anymore, the Cobalt replaced it.

Also, I only buy American cars so I'm not supporting the Toyota, just telling you about the pedals in the Cobalt.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#4]
If it's not a full-size truck or SUV, stay far away.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Get a Pontiac Vibe.

Its a Toyota (to the dismay of GM worshippers everywhere) and you should be able to get the GM discount.

I didn't know that, interesting....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#6]
We have an 05 malibu maxx and we havent had any problems with it. Works great. 25 mpg and thats real world mileage not that sticker shit.

My next car is gonna be a Scion Xa though. My GEO metro is getting a little long in the tooth.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#7]
The Cobat is a great little car (actually slightly larger then the Cavalier).  For the price range, it has quite a spread of options, good quality, and is comfortable.  I didn't have a problem with the pedals, best bet would be to test drive one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
A kid at my work bought a new cobalt ss.  He's a little ricer/racer/nos type guy.  That thing is fast!  He took us in a ride and the thing was the zippiest car I've ever been in.

I'm a truck guy though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The Cobalt should be a nice car.  Just change the coolant since people keep reporting problems with the orange Dex-Cool.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Get a Pontiac Vibe.

+1.  My sister has one.  The Cobalts are supposed to be good cars.  I wouldn't buy a Cavalier if it were the last car on this planet.  

Vibes are good little cars.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a Vibe recently as a rental car.  I liked it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#12]
good info, please keep it coming.  Bumping it up, cause I got to go to work.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#13]
lol dont ever ask a car question on these forums...You will get the same ol answer.... GET THIS.... GET THAT.... NO THAT SUX.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top