Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 10:52:58 AM EDT
Anybody lead me to some statistics on crime for states that have Concealed Carry.

this article wants you to believe that crime is higher from these states

http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/1663566.html

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#2]
www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/1663566.html

Try www.nra.org and www.goa.org.

I recall that the AZ crime rate dropped about 20% in the years following CCW legislation being passed but that was way back in 1986.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have only arrested one person that I know had a CCW permit and that was several years ago.
He did a burn out infront of me.  when i pulled him over he was piss drunk, was carrying a .45 on his belt and had several other handguns, that did not belong to him in the vehicle.

He was convicted of DUI, his CCW permit was revoked, the .45 was destroyed and his lawyer arranged for an FFL to take possession of the other guns and return them to the lawfull owner.

Here is another recent CCW permit holder related crime:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=376717
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#4]

He says research has shown that states that have passed concealed weapons laws have significantly higher crime rates, and many local police chiefs agree.

I love the left, they will give us details of who what and where the research was done.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I love the left, they will give us details of who what and where the research was done.

Nor do they say that CCWs cause crime.   Correlation =/= Causation

Nah, it couldn't be that the higher crime rate has nothing to do with CCW, that wouldn't be news-worthy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#6]
If my state passed a law today, that said I couldn't carry anymore.....I would still carry.

Anyone else with me?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If my state passed a law today, that said I couldn't carry anymore.....I would still carry.

Anyone else with me?

Sure, but I am not moving to OK, OK?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#8]
From the WAVE website:

Permissive laws on concealed guns consistently indicate more gun deaths.

14 of the 15 states with the highest firearm death rates have permissive "shall issue" concealed carry laws like the one being proposed for Wisconsin. 11 of the 15 states with the lowest firearm death rates (Wisconsin included) prohibit concealed carry or have restrictive laws.

It's just simple manipulation of data to keep up the grants they get from The Joyce Foundation.

Here's a copy of an interesting post from DU's gun control forum (where mostly pro-gun types hang out believe it or not):

Crime rating Vs. Brady state rating (2002)

Since you cant graph letters,

A = 14
A- = 13
B+ = 12
B = 11
B- = 10
C+ = 9
C = 8
C- = 7
D+ = 6
D = 5
D- = 4
F+ = 3
F = 2
F- = 1

For whatever reason, they handed out a lot of D+ = 6 and A- = 13.

As you can see states with a D+ rating range from very low crime to very high crime the same is true for states with an A- rating.

This data shows there is no measurable relationship between statewide gun control laws and crime.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Crime stats put out by each state and cities of that state may vary from one state from another, so I find it hard to really depend on what state is more crime free than another.

One factor is what types of crimes? Where is a better place to live...a state that allows CCW, but has a high rate of petty crimes where nobody gets hurt or a state where CCW is not allowed, has a low rate of petty crimes, but a high rate of murder?

Then another factor is how are crimes reported? If a citizen carrying a gun stopped a crime from happening, is that "attempted" crime reported as a crime stopped by an armed citizen? Probably not. It  just may have been put on the books as a crime even though the crime was stopped.

Then you have to think what states where you know have a large amount of crime, but don't report  every single crime because it will make them look real bad or  crimes that aren't reported because they weren't yet discovered that they happened, such as a murder where the victim wasn't found yet.

Then you have to think what is a true quality of living. Living in lawless society where criminals run rampent? A society where there is no crime, but is like living in your own personal Nazi Germany and you get arrested if you look at anyone the wrong way? Or a society where there are sensible laws that don't infringe on your rights, but an occasional crime can happen and is expected, but not where people are willing to loss their rights over or truly believe calling 911 will stop a crime.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out John Lott, very good info and all statistical.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Now if only I had a clue as to what that graph means....I blame my publik school edumucation.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#12]

statements like that are pretty easy to back up using the right type of info.

if NY started letting its subjects be citizens again, the left would just go, "look at how violent NY is. that is why we need gun control."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top