Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 10:32:09 AM EDT
hamptonroads.cox.net/cci/newsnational/national?_mode=view&_state=maximized&view=article&id=D8C0DALG1

Nasar al-Rubaie, a member of the committee drafting the constitution, said the document would be handed over to the 275-member National Assembly late Monday for a decision on the two unresolved issues. He said those issues were women's rights and self-determination, a Kurdish demand for more autonomy and the right to secede someday.

Jalaldin al-Saghir, a Shiite member of parliament, confirmed agreement had been reached but refused to identify the two remaining issues.

"An agreement has been reached on the constitution and it was signed and it will be handed to parliament," he said. "There are two points that the National Assembly will have to solve."

The announcement came after the parliament twice delayed a session Monday on whether to approve a new constitution by a midnight deadline.

The National Assembly had been scheduled to convene at 6 p.m. (10 a.m. EDT) to consider the draft but moments ahead of the time, the meeting room in the heavily guarded Green Zone was absent of legislators.

It initially was delayed for two hours, but Kurdish lawmaker Mahmoud Othman said the parliament would not convene before 10 p.m. (2 p.m. EDT.)

I myself think women should have basic rights too but damn to hold the whole thing up. Let the women fight for their rights later lets get the ball going.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that in Saddam-era Iraq, women had some of the best rights in the Arab world. The people holding up on that are people who want to step backwards, not maintain the status quo.

NTM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top