Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 7:49:21 AM EDT
WTF?

So while W. and the neo-cons are playing their globalist games... the Dems are gonna crack down on the border???

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Beefed Up Border Pledged

By Tania Soussan
Journal Staff Writer
   Gov. Bill Richardson declared a state of emergency along New Mexico's 180-mile border with Mexico on Friday, pledging $1.75 million to beef up law enforcement and tackle increasing crime.
   "Recent developments have convinced me this action is necessary— including violence directed at law enforcement, damage to property and livestock, increased evidence of drug smuggling, and an increase in the number of undocumented immigrants," Richardson said in a prepared statement.
   He toured the area near the busy border town of Columbus by helicopter and on the ground Friday before announcing the new initiatives.
   The Mexican government, which has long opposed any increased border fencing, immediately criticized Richardson's actions.
   Southwestern New Mexico residents praised the moves and said even more are needed.
   "This is a great beginning," said Luna County Commissioner Rick Holdridge by phone. "What the governor's done is right on the money."
   He and others said a broader solution is needed to address the problems caused by hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants who cross the border into New Mexico every year.
   He was one of 135 residents of the Rodeo and Animas areas in Hidalgo County who recently signed petitions asking Sens. Pete Domenici, R-N.M., and Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., along with Rep. Steve Pearce, R-N.M., for immediate action.
   Rodeo rancher Richard A. Winkler said he and his neighbors are being burglarized regularly by border crossers who take food and other essentials.
   "I'm really tired of it," he said in a telephone interview Friday. "It's an epidemic."
   Richardson signed an executive order declaring a disaster in Doña Ana, Luna, Grant and Hidalgo counties and making $750,000 in state emergency money immediately available to local governments there.
   Another $1 million in discretionary federal dollars allocated to New Mexico two years ago also will be used to tackle border problems, said Richardson spokesman Billy Sparks.
   The $1.75 million overall will pay for:
#     Increased state and local law enforcement;

# A new state Homeland Security field office that should be up and running within two weeks, probably in Luna County;

# A fence to protect the 20-acre Columbus Stockyards, which lie right on the border and, with only decaying wood barriers, are an easy place for illegal crossings into the United States.
   The governor told the state Department of Agriculture and Livestock Board to assess the security and safety of livestock in the border region within 15 days.
   "I'm taking these serious steps because of the urgency of the situation and, unfortunately, because of the total inaction and lack of resources from the federal government and Congress," Richardson said.
   Jarrod Agen, a spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security, would not comment on Richardson's initiatives but said increased Border Patrol funding has made "extraordinary progress" possible in the Southwest.
   Mexico ordered its consul in Albuquerque to meet with New Mexico officials "to promote appropriate actions by the officials of both countries."
   "The Mexican government considers that some of the New Mexico government's statements are generalizations which don't jibe with the spirit of cooperation and understanding needed to address border problems," Mexico's Foreign Relations Department said in a statement.
   Bingaman praised Richardson's moves and said he agrees with the governor.
   "I share his frustration," he said in a telephone interview. "We have been doing what was possible, but our efforts in Washington to get the U.S.-Mexico border made a priority have not been entirely successful."
   Bingaman, who will visit the Deming Border Patrol Station on Monday, said more resources for local law enforcement and federal agencies are needed.
   Domenici, along with Bingaman, said comprehensive immigration reform is vital.
   "The important thing to realize is that money and fences alone are not going to solve the illegal immigration problem," Domenici said in a prepared statement.
   Columbus, with about 1,800 people, is the closest settlement to the only 24-hour border crossing in New Mexico— the Columbus Port of Entry.
   With one officer on his force, a $152,000 annual budget and a 24-hour-a-day role as the first line of defense against drug and human smuggling, Columbus Police Chief Clare May has called his situation desperate.
   Richardson said he asked the Mexican government to bulldoze the mostly abandoned town of Las Chepas, on the Mexican side of the border near Columbus.
   The town has been a popular border jumping spot for years. For $5, would-be immigrants can hop a bus in Palomas and be deposited in Las Chepas, where a handful of stores sell jugs of water and Gatorade, juices and food for their trip.
   Many wait in abandoned houses— graffiti-covered concrete shells— until nightfall, when they can make their trip under the cover of darkness and in cooler temperatures.
   Winkler, the Rodeo area rancher, said the federal government should close the border by putting patrols every quarter-mile.
   Pearce, who is holding 17 community meetings on immigration this month, said he has asked the Department of Homeland Security to reimburse residents for property damage.
   "We are dedicating every resource available to us as legislators, trying to galvanize action to make our country more secure," he said in a telephone interview.

Journal staff writer Leslie Linthicum and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Get Copyright Clearance Copyright 2005 Albuquerque Journal
Commercial reprint permission.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#1]
They are trying to win votes, and will if they play the cards handed to them right. The republicans are being jack asses enjoying their freeride.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#2]
pffttt
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#3]
There are enough people pissed off about the borders in this country that this could turn an election
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#4]
The Dems see an issue where the Repubs are dropping the ball and pissing off a decent chunk of the voters.  So they morph themselves to fit the situation-of-the-day to get votes.  The only issue Dems are solid on is geting votes.  Beyond that, it's all negotiable, except maybe on abortion.

If the President doesn't wise up to the fact that most Americans want a secure border and are tired of illegal aliens running around all over the place, then the Republicans are going to lose in 2008, and this is going to be reason #1 or maybe #2.

I'm just glad Bush can't run again in '08.  I like a lot of what he's done, but I also don't like a lot of what he's done.  Whoever the new Republican candidate is needs to do a lot to convince the voters that he doesn't follow the Bush philosophy on this issue.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Dems see an issue where the Repubs are dropping the ball and pissing off a decent chunk of the voters.

nah, they aren't dropping the ball.  

Buying bad gear for the Border Patrol would be dropping the ball...
Relaxing standards for Visa's would be dropping the ball...

These ASSHATS, including the POTUS, are denying the ball even exists.

Repeat after me... "There is NO immigration problem... they are UNDOCUMENTED WORKERS... These aren't the droids you are looking for... move along...."

bah!

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]
It's rhetoric to garner the votes of popular opinion...

Neither side will EVER do anything about it so long as...

1) The War on Drugs continues to allow high profit in the US, not making it worth the while of the cartels to do business with the RoPs.

2) Undocumented Mexican labor maintains it's status as our government's unofficial answer to China and India.  

Secure borders are truly an impossibility for a nation as large and geographically diverse as the U.S.  Not to mention the amount of commerce flowing through these borders.  To say otherwise is feel good rhetoric.  They will build a better mousetrap.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#7]
[the dems]  Blah Blah Blah

Interesting article here: www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110007108
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Secure borders are truly an impossibility for a nation as large and geographically diverse as the U.S.

Hmmm... the Soviets pulled it off pretty good.  

And there were as many people trying to get out of there as are trying to get into here, I suspect.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh, right. I'm going to believe the dems are going to man the ramparts at the borders.

Edited to ask: What's your guess as to how many card carrying dems are members of the Minutemen? Or had anything positive to say about them? Sheesh. I'm not carrying the pail for Jorge, but give me a break.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Secure borders are truly an impossibility for a nation as large and geographically diverse as the U.S.  Not to mention the amount of commerce flowing through these borders.  To say otherwise is feel good rhetoric.  They will build a better mousetrap.

It depends on your definition of secure borders.  A good first step would be to make it impossible for someone to simply walk in over the border.  This is clearly possible, and simply requires better fencing and more border patrol.  People will still find a way to tunnel through or smuggle themselves by boat/truck, but closing the "walk in" route will at least stop a large portion of the illegals.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have no loyalty to the republicans.  They'l loose my vote & money if the dems move hard and fast on this issue.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#12]
If the demoncraps say they are going to do anything about border security they are lying.  It is just that simple.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Dems see an issue where the Repubs are dropping the ball and pissing off a decent chunk of the voters.

nah, they aren't dropping the ball.  

Buying bad gear for the Border Patrol would be dropping the ball...
Relaxing standards for Visa's would be dropping the ball...

These ASSHATS, including the POTUS, are denying the ball even exists.

Repeat after me... "There is NO immigration problem... they are UNDOCUMENTED WORKERS... These aren't the droids you are looking for... move along...."

bah!

There are no illegal aliens in the USA.......  This is all capitalist propaganda and we're killing them all right now.  Do not believe the yankee imperialist dogs.   It's all filthy lies !

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#14]

That there is some classic sig line material there!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoting YOURSELF ....... How tacky  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#16]
The Democrats ARE NOT going to upset the hispanic community.

Sorry they need the illegals to vote in CA and AZ.

Smoke and mirrors.

La Raza is big with the Democrats.

Bill Richardson just wants to stay governor in New Mexico.

Remember the Dems are the party of minorities and the little guy.

You can bet Democratic hispanic activists will tell Richardson to shut up if he ever considers the presidency. Or they will just have him killed, despite him being part Mexican.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
WTF?

So while W. and the neo-cons are playing their globalist games... the Dems are gonna crack down on the border???

Yeah!! let's ignore the terrorist threat from islamic-fascists, pull all our troops back home and put them on the border!! that will teach those evil mexicans!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoting YOURSELF ....... How tacky  

Yeah, I've  been guilty of several major lapses in judgement lately.  It happens, gotta look ahead though, not back.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Bottom line is the Democrats are only going to attack Bush on this issue to drive a wedge between him and us who want a tighter border.

They WILL DO NOTHING about it because the Hispanic left wing activists in their party will not let them.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Bottom line is the Democrats are only going to attack Bush on this issue to drive a wedge between him and us who want a tighter border.

They WILL DO NOTHING about it because the Hispanic left wing activists in their party will not let them.

This man gets it.  If Hillary thought it would guarantee her election, she would go to Bulletfest in MARPAT shooting MGs and decrying gun laws.  Then she would turn around and re-enact the AWB.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have no loyalty to the republicans.  They'l loose my vote & money if the dems move hard and fast on this issue.

Interesting link............ Houston congressman John Culberson (R) Introduces Border Protection Corps Act of 2005

www.culberson.house.gov/news.aspx?A=171
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#23]
He's on O'Reilly right now and BACKING OFF HARD!!!

Stinking liberal is calling for more legal immigration.  Damm POS!

We need NO immigration for like 25 years to make up for all these illegals we'll never get rid of.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It depends on your definition of secure borders.  A good first step would be to make it impossible for someone to simply walk in over the border.  This is clearly possible, and simply requires better fencing and more border patrol.  People will still find a way to tunnel through or smuggle themselves by boat/truck, but closing the "walk in" route will at least stop a large portion of the illegals.  

Machine guns and guard towers.  That's all I'm going to say.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Watch for Hilary to begin being associated with Richardson, and saying the same things Richardson is saying.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So who will tighten your vote?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So who will tighten your vote?

Both parties want to forget this issue.  Guess I'm out of options.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Watch for Hilary to begin being associated with Richardson, and saying the same things Richardson is saying.

quite possible and you know what if this blows up in the repubs face it'll be their fault. we the people have been telling them to do something about it long enough and all Jorge has done is to keep blowing vincente fox.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top