Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 6:22:12 AM EDT
It was one of those dreams you cant get out of your head, youw ake up and cant go back to sleep.  I havent had one of these kind of dreams for years.

Well it sarted out as me lying in bed when my little sister comes running into my room saying someone is downstairs (we live together).  I tell her to go to her room, lock the door, and call the police.  I grab my shotgun and head towards the stairs (I know this is tactically wrong but it was a dream).  As I turn the corner and see the stairs, there is a man coming up the stairs holding a knife.  I give him two warnings to stop, of course he does not.  I try to pull the trigger on the shotgun and nothing, the trigger is stuck, I try the safety to make sure its off, it is, still the trigger does not work.  I run to my room and grab my Glock 21, as I turn around I see the intruder is now at my room door.  I try pulling the trigger to my Glock and once again the trigger does not work.  The intruder is now on top of me, grabs my by the hair, tilts, my head back, and begins to cut at my throat.

I woke up at that point and went and checked on my little sister.  The rest of the night, maybe 3 hours, I sat on the couch with my AR on my lap.

This dream scared me so much I am going to the range today to make sure my firearms still work.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:26:26 AM EDT
[#1]

I had a dream last night about an ex-girl friend.  Ugh.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:26:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Most of my dreams like that involve running out of ammo.  The guns ALWAYS work but theres never enuff ammo.   Of course its not 1 intruder and theyre NEVER human.  In your dream ya shouldve just jabbed the shotgun barrel into the intruders mouth knocked out all of his teeth.  Remember guns dont have to be shot to be effective sometimes.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine always involve hunting... gun, bow, whatever... and I make a good shot on a deer.  An obvious, 20 yard away, wide open shot where I can see the whole thing.

Then when I get down to where it's laying, it's still alive, but barely... and between the shot and me getting to it, it has morphed into one of my family members.  

I've had that one a few times.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Thats the sign of a small penis that doesn't work.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine's always the one where you're a Moray Eel trying to get into an ancient Grecian vase - but you can never find the opening of the vase because the insane piece of pottery is all messed up from it's previous relationship with another eel - possibly a Snowflake – and it thinks it wants to take some time to talk things through with the other eel.

The solution, of course, is to find a time and place to get the vase filled up with some wine – but always remember: the Moray has to make it clear to the vase that it needs to be up early the next morning so it can go into work or something.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a Jack Russell Terrier! He/She will never let you sleep long enough to have a nightmare,AND he/she will bite the intruder,who will then sue you!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had a dream like that too.   Your pulling the trigger but the trigger doesn't move or it moves very slowly, but it never fires because the bad guy has gotten to you already, its very frightening.  Whats worse are dreams about weightlessness or falling from the sky,  I have those quite a bit too.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to have similar dreams frequently.  Intruders, Monsters, a whole Russian Platoon...  you name it.  They all came after me, and I would invariably make it to my guns in the nick of time, but none of them worked.
Last week, though, it was different.  An unknown group of people were trying to kill me, and my handgun didn't work.  This time, however, I discovered a round stuck in the chamber, and I was able to clear it and shoot back.  Does that mean I'm getting better?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Where was your bayonet? Why didn't you butt-stroke the tango? Damn, man.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine  always involves my Beretta 92 jamming.

I have had that gun for 10 years now - many times at the range - and it has never once jammed, failed to feed or misfired.

Go figure
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone ever dream that thy grab the gun they keep by the bed.....then wake up and find yourself actually holding it?

Has not happened to me....just wondering.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#13]
The part of your brain that understands the concepts of space and time, physics, and how mechanical things work is NOT the side that manifests your dreams.

This is why you can be in one place in a dream, turn around, and you are somewhere entirely different.  Clocks never work correctly, firearms won't work, anything mechanical just doesn't work right but for some reason in your dream you consider it normal when the toaster spews water and light beams from the top whenever you push the lever down.

The few times my firearms have worked in dreams, the bullet moves VERY slowly through the air.

I can only remember two dreams that were very vivid and everything worked just like it was supposed to.  I don't know the reason why, but the firearm functioned just like normal and the guy fell realistically.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have had a dream like that too.   Your pulling the trigger but the trigger doesn't move or it moves very slowly, but it never fires because the bad guy has gotten to you already, its very frightening.  Whats worse are dreams about weightlessness or falling from the sky,  I have those quite a bit too.  

Have had the second, never the first. I've had nightmares where I've fallen upwards from the ground.

The problem with my dreams is not me being able to kill anyone or not, they just defy all logic.

Familiar places will look similar, but very different at the same time. And the plot makes NO sense. There are no motives or anything. It's so hard to follow, things will just happen and people will just do things for no apparent reason. Even myself in the dream will do the same things. I'll just instinctively do things though I don't know why.

I've had dreams where violence and bloodshed is involved but I'm never the one harmed. But again, it'll make no sense. I'll often be doing a good deal of the killing too. But it's mostly dreams of going to someplace for some unkown reason. And doing things that make no sense. It's kind of hard to explain.

The weapons I use are never the ones that I own. They're ones that end up in my hands for no reason and aren't just limited to firearms.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Anyone ever dream that thy grab the gun they keep by the bed.....then wake up and find yourself actually holding it?

Has not happened to me....just wondering.

If so, time for a trigger lock
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Dreams like that mean you need to practice a lot more.  You are uncertain how you'd perform in a bad situation.

+1

It sounds like the same dream that most people have where someone is chasing them and they can't run or get enough traction to run and feel like they're floating away. But with your dream, you are fighting instead of running away.hug.gif  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Mine's always the one where you're a Moray Eel trying to get into an ancient Grecian vase - but you can never find the opening of the vase because the insane piece of pottery is all messed up from it's previous relationship with another eel - possibly a Snowflake – and it thinks it wants to take some time to talk things through with the other eel.

The solution, of course, is to find a time and place to get the vase filled up with some wine – but always remember: the Moray has to make it clear to the vase that it needs to be up early the next morning so it can go into work or something.

Sweet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#18]
It's a very common dream, and I've had it several times.  I think it comes from anxiety and/or insecurity.  One time, I had a dream about a guy trying to get into my car's passenger door, so I grabbed my 9mm from the glovebox, and it took all ten rounds just to get through the glass (yeah, I know, should've had a .45).  Then I was out of ammo.  I remember thinking that I wish I'd had 15 rounds, but the damn AWB was in place.  As soon as it sunset, I bought 3 15-rounders for my car gun.  

Usually in these kinds of dreams, one of three things happens:

1.  The gun won't fire or you can't get it on target because it's too heavy or something.
2.  The gun fires, but you keep missing.
3.  You hit your target, but it has no effect.

Usually #3 for me, but sometimes #1.  At least I have good aim in my dreams.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#19]
This dream is your subconcious telling you that you are placing to much reliance on gadgets (the shotgun and the Glock) and not enough reliance on yourself. In your dream after the malfunctions of the weapons the attacker is able to kill you and obviously you can't do anything about it.    
Whatis really sad is you sat up the rest of the night placing you trust in  yet another "gadget" that has the possibility of a malfunction.
Your guns work, don't bother going to the range. Address the real issue, your mind feels that you are unprepared to survive without your dependency on "gadgets".    
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Mine always involve hunting... gun, bow, whatever... and I make a good shot on a deer. An obvious, 20 yard away, wide open shot where I can see the whole thing.

Then when I get down to where it's laying, it's still alive, but barely... and between the shot and me getting to it, it has morphed into one of my family members.

That one has become reality for many hunters, sad to say.    Tag-itus has caused many otherwise rational people to use deadly weapons on optical illusions -- With tragic results.  

If you're dreaming about it, I think you have the sense to prevent it -- so rest easy until it's trigger time.

(This might make a good thread:  "What optical illusions have you killed?"    Mine was a forkhorn whitetail ----   doe  !)  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#21]
My last one involved one hell of a firefight. I was on the outer fringes of it, but the conflict was moving my way. I decided to get everything loaded and ready, but when I looked in my ammo bag, all I had was 41 mag. ammo, but no 41 mag. to shoot it from. Tons & tons of ammo. The next day, I traded my 41 mag. off, and sold all the bullets, brass, dies, and ammo. It occured to me to buy another .41 mag, but I've had enough of the oddball calibers for now. I still remember the feeling of helplessness in the dream.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#22]
i am almost always tyring to load the mag and the bullets are the wrong size or ar falling apart/out
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Dreams like that mean you need to practice a lot more.  You are uncertain how you'd perform in a bad situation.

I guess I'm fairly certain how I'd do in that situation. Normally, the gun never works, and I end up having to pistolwhip everybody in the dream. Thursday night's dream "opened fire" on a badguy - one round on either side of the sternum, and he dropped like a sack of potatoes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#24]
the 100lb trigger is a very common dream. I have one of those with the jamming AR all the time. Best cure is to go shooting ASAP
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Remember guns dont have to be shot to be effective sometimes.  

Just rack the shotgun a couple of times.  We all know that just the sound of that will send even the most hideously evil nightmare bad guys running!  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Mine always involve hunting... gun, bow, whatever... and I make a good shot on a deer. An obvious, 20 yard away, wide open shot where I can see the whole thing.

That one has become reality for many hunters, sad to say.    Tag-itus has caused many otherwise rational people to use deadly weapons on optical illusions -- With tragic results.  

If you're dreaming about it, I think you have the sense to prevent it -- so rest easy until it's trigger time.

(This might make a good thread:  "What optical illusions have you killed?"    Mine was a forkhorn whitetail ----   doe  !)  

I don't worry about it when I'm actually hunting... because I only use a bow for 99% of my hunting.  The critter has to be close, in full view, and I hunt for trophies (to limit my own harvest)... I don't even take a pair of binoculars, because I don't shoot it unless it is so freakin big that I don't need optics to see that it's a wallhanger.

Maybe it's some of my built-in sympathy for the hunted... I don't take the harvest of an animal lightly, always have that twinge of remorse and a whole bunch of respect.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Whats worse are dreams about weightlessness or falling from the sky,  I have those quite a bit too.   hr

As a kid, I used to have tons of nightmares, and while the ones about falling/weightlessness used to scare the crap out of me, I started focusing on the feeling of weightlessness (quite cool if you ask me) rather than the feeling of impending doom of falling without a parachute. I realized at one point that I never actually die in my dreams, it is always implied, and I always wake up before I would actually get killed. Eventually, I started to turn the scary thoughts into fun adventures. If I was being attached by Xenomorphs (from the Alien movies), I would conjure some Predators to come fight them for me.

The dreams that I never could turn around were the apocalyptic ones like T-Rex's running down every street, etc. The scariest one I ever had was watching the Sun begin to supernova. That one really wrecked me for a few days. On the other hand it was a nice reminder that we are insiginificant cosmically speaking and it was also, to me, proof positive that something greater than us had a hand in the Cosmos' creation. (I am Christian, but wasn't always, nor did that one dream convert me, so I didn't want to alienate anyone with my beliefs)

Now that I own a FAL, Remington 870, and a Kimber 1911, not much scares me anymore. Apocalyptic sci-fi movies still scare me from time to time, but I don't usually have nightmares about them anymore. I could do some damage to anything man-made with some .308 and I've got faith that God will handle anything I can't.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Holy shit!  Me too!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I used to have a dream like that about my Glock 21. I wasn't hitting like I used to at the range with it for some reason. I think the rough trigger pull is what was finally starting to bug me. I got too spoiled having better triggers on my other firearms.

I traded it for a Springfield Milspec. Took it to the range and was hitting dead center with little effort and haven't had that dream since.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow, I've had that 100lb trigger dream too! Usually happens if I havent gone to the range in a while. I also have a recurring dream that a bunch of my teeth are loose and falling out or my teeth are soft like marshmellos. weird.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Dreams like that mean you need to practice Train a lot more.  You are uncertain how you'd perform in a bad situation.

Fixed it for you.  Praciticing bad form doesn't help, it also doesn't teach you how to deal with situations either.  Attend some proffestional training, your competance AND confidence will increase.

I'd suggest starting in the Training forum here on AR15.com.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh, I just love those dreams

-Not enough ammo

-No ammo

-Ineffective ammo

-Trigger doesn't work

-Trigger pull is super high

-Bullets move too slow and bad guys dodge them

-Safety doesn't disengage

-Gun too heavy to lift

and on and on...

Bah, I hate those suckers.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#34]
For me ,any dream where firearms are employed htey bullets make a hole bit dont kill or really hurt for that matter.  Had one dream where a bad guy broke in and we shot at each other while running around the coffee table. We stopped to laugh becuase niether of us was hurting or dying from the hits. Then I woke up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Wow, I've had that 100lb trigger dream too! Usually happens if I havent gone to the range in a while. I also have a recurring dream that a bunch of my teeth are loose and falling out or my teeth are soft like marshmellos. weird.

damn, I have the bad teeth dream alot. I thought I was the only one
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had the heavy trigger / long trigger pull dream quite a few times. Its weird because I always keep my CZ C&Led, not on DA. However, in the dreams its always in DA mode. It also seems to happen more often when I haven't been to the range in a very long time.

The broken teeth dreams are about you being self-consious about your physical appearance IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn, I have the bad teeth dream alot. I thought I was the only one

+1
I have had these also
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#38]
True story

When I was little I used to have this reoccuring dream about a black shadowy figure, almost like the grimm reaper only there was no structure only the cloak, that would chase me and no matter how hard,and fast I ran or loud I screamed it was always a hair away from me.
and the harder I would run the slower I would go until I fell and lay defensless as it stands before me almost pondering what devious diabolical fate I would suffer at its mercy then I would wake up thanks to the alarm clock for school just before it would get me,and we are talking 2+night a week this would happen and I would wake in a cold sweat just soaked from fear.
I told my parents about it and they just shrugged it off and gave me the "it's only a dream" speech BS Martin L. King had a dream. This was FEAR in all of its horror, in it's most pure form no shape,no eyes,no face,nothing to distinguish itself from being described or depicted just an existance surely from the pits of hell comming to take my very life and strip me of my soul,I began telling my aunt about these dreams and she gave me a book about interpertation and how to take ahold of your dream to give you control so I prepared for battle fully aware that when I defied this force from plagueing my dreams I may not wake up.I took my bath for the evening,kissed my folks goodnight and told them for the last time I loved them and headed up to my room.I knelt beside my bed and said a prayer and asked God for his help and if I didn't return please save my soul.I laid in bed staring at the ceiling for hours with thoughts and worries running through my head before finally falling asleep and sure enough I find myself at the top of the stairs the surrounding look hazy and as I turn around I see this figure before me only I dont move, as it nears I stand my ground ball up my little fists close my eyes and swing with every ounce of energy I can muster when I open my eyes I see my hand has passed through and as I looked to see an expression the figure disappears.When I finally wake up I smell breakfast and go to eat and It has not returned since and that has been 9+ years ago  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
True story

When I was little I used to have this reoccuring dream about a black shadowy figure, almost like the grimm reaper only there was no structure only the cloak, ****

Was the black shadowy figure about eight feet tall?

Seriously. JOE
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Last week I dreamed that I was in a desperate situation without either a) my gun, and b) my pants.

Strange thing was, I knew I was dreaming.

Stranger still, I was convinced that resolution could only be achieved if I could wake myself up, retrieve my gun and pants in the waking world, and then reenter the dream world and take care of business.

Is that fooked up or what?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
True story

When I was little I used to have this reoccuring dream about a black shadowy figure, almost like the grimm reaper only there was no structure only the cloak, ****

Was the black shadowy figure about eight feet tall?

Seriously.

JOE

I was little everything was eight feet tall. it did tower above me if that helps but I cant judge exactly the height
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#42]
My worst dreams always involve a situation with my children and me being unable to save everyone. And there always fucking lifelike. I'll wake up and immediately go check on my kids and hug them. They look at me kinda funny sometimes, dad wakes up, comes and gives me a hug then goes downstairs to smoke half a pack then goes back to bed.

The last I had was bad. I was on a hillside and both were slipping down the hillside towards a cliff. I ran down and grabbed one and threw her up, but turned to see the other going over. I jumped down and grabbed him and grabbed onto the side of the cliff as we went over. The impact against the rock wall knocked my grip lose and I watched my son fall down a cliff.

I fucking hate those dreams. I really, really, really do.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#43]
That is why your body shuts off your motor functions while in dreamstate, R.E.M., or whatever else you want to call it.

I once had a bad dream when I got up grabbed my Ruger GP100 and tried to squeeze a round off towards my window, the car alarm was going off. I actually thought it was my remote control! Another good reason to leave your revolvers unloaded. I always keep my semi-auto loaded, less a round in the chamber.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#44]
There was this one dream I had a few years ago, where I was with fellow soldiers on a hill at night overlooking a burning viliage,  one of those Middle Eastern types. It is pitch black, the only things illuminated is the viliage, burning in an orange glow, and my muzzle flash. On the left hand side of the viliage I see about 5 gunmen in jumpsuits and ski-masks shooting at me, running out of the viliage. I even hear an RPG roar past me. I shot like hell, with an AK, although I knew I was with the good guys. I am still prone now. My buds are in a U-Shaped trench with the curve facing towards the viliage. The stuff is gettin pretty heavy, so I roll into the trench, and I am scared, not fear of death, but just the sheer "Don't get hit, Don't get hit, Don't get hit!" feeling, it felt exactly like paintball, which I had quit several months prior to the dream. Just as I rolled into the trench, I hear a grenade land behind me, I scurry past the corner, then just when the need to be in cover is most urgent, I realize my torso is safe, but my legs are sticking out past the corner. BOOM! I woke up.

My gun related dreams almost always have me with a gun that won't shoot, I think it is because all of my guns are kept unloaded. Also, my dreams tend to have my actions pivot on the fact of whether the event is a dream, or real. Since I am always the one to take advantage of a situation I know to be a dream!

BTW has anyone ever experience Deja-Vu unique to one dream experiance? I also have dreams where I know things that don't even exist in real life, but I have learned them prior to when the dream began, but again, the information is unique to the dream world.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#45]
I experience deja-vu to this day it's always from a dream I have from long ago and forget about until im in the middle of the situation then I freeze up and try to remember what happen next so I can be carful because most of the time in the dream something bad happens its almost like previewing an incident and being able to change the outcome.It freaks me out but im glad I have it
I just thought that there was something wrong with me but im pretty sure my psycological skills are "normal" so no worries about being a mental nut case I just think of it as a gift
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:59:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Me too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:10:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Carry a gun daily or do the gun for a living and see how often you have some variation of that dream.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Thats the sign of a small penis that doesn't work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top