Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 5:29:10 AM EDT
www.defenselink.mil/cgi-bin/dlprint.cgi?http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Aug2005/20050813_2415.html

Iraq Raid Yields Possible Chemical Production Facility
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 13, 2005 – Acting on detainee-provided tips, coalition forces found what's believed to be an insurgent chemical production facility and chemical storage locations during Aug. 9 raids in northern Iraq, officials in Iraq reported today.

Technical experts are analyzing this chemical production equipment believed to be part of a clandestine operation. Officials state so far that evidence was insufficient on what was being produced at the facility found during a U.S.-led raid Aug. 9.  
The early morning raids, conducted by Task Force Freedom, uncovered what technical experts believe to be a "clandestine chemical production facility" and possibly related storage sites.

Military officials are careful to state that ongoing analysis of the chemical evidence collected from the sites is currently insufficient to determine what the insurgents had been producing.

"We are continuing to investigate the production and storage facilities to determine what type and quantities of chemicals were produced at the facility and the specific threat posed to our forces," said Col. Henry Franke, Multinational Corps' nuclear, biological and chemical defense officer.

"We don't want to speculate on any possibilities until our analysis is complete," he added.

But military officials believe they've disrupted a potentially serious threat to coalition forces and the Iraqi people.

Intelligence experts are conducting related investigations to determine which terrorist or insurgent group is responsible for the construction and operation of the secret facility.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:40:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Normally you would be correct but...

This was all over Fox, CNN and MSNBC yesterday.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Meth Lab?  

Living in KY, that's my first thought any time I see a bunch of weird looking shit and chemicals together at the same location. Hehe.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Glad to hear someone covered it. I don't watch much TV so I obviously missed it. Just figured it would get the default treatment that most good/pro news coming out of Iraq gets.

Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#4]
So far every publicised and trumpeted 'Chem Find' has been shown to be a misinterpretation or something pretty minor.

We'll see how this turns out.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So far every publicised and trumpeted 'Chem Find' has been shown to be a misinterpretation or something pretty minor.

We'll see how this turns out.

NTM

It'll be interesting to see. I'll keep an eye out for any future stories, good or bad.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Meth Lab?  

Living in KY, that's my first thought any time I see a bunch of weird looking shit and chemicals together at the same location. Hehe.

If they were smart, they'd make meth and try to get our troops to take it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glad to hear someone covered it. I don't watch much TV so I obviously missed it. Just figured it would get the default treatment that most good/pro news coming out of Iraq gets.

Thanks for the update.

And the regular networks around here too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:34:09 AM EDT
[#8]
That's not a makeshift chemical weapons lab, it's a freon processing plant. It's hot over there, they need A/C and fridges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top