Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2005 4:28:24 AM EDT

Land owner Larry Mattlage looks out from his ranch across the street from Cindy Sheehan's camp near Crawford, Texas, Sunday, Aug. 14, 2005. During a prayer service, Mattlage came out and fired his hunting shotgun into the air then put up a no parking sign. Mattlage says that the protestors should go home and he will continue to fire his gun until they do. Mattlage's gun play, although legal in Texas, did get him a visit from Secrete Service and local sheriff deputies. (AP Photo/LM Otero)
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't blame the fella. I wouldn't allow a bunch of damn hippies to turn my property into a parking lot either.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:36:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't blame the fella. I wouldn't allow a bunch of damn hippies to turn my property into a parking lot either.

Exactly. There's no reason to run and hide to avoid scaring the sheep. Just because they show up doesn't mean everybody has to go out of their way to make them feel comfortable. A little hostile press means he's getting his point across.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:39:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a few M2's on line...that will rattle their pea brains
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]
"Pull!"
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:48:24 AM EDT
[#5]

''Look," said Mattlage, who has a longstanding deal with NBC News for a view from his property of the president's ranch, ''when they first came out here, I was sympathetic to their cause. They, as American citizens, have a right to march and to protest."

But ''they're just like company," he said. ''If you had had your brother-in-law in your house for five days, wouldn't it start stinking after a while?"

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#6]
On the news this morning in an interview he said he was "testing" his shotgun to get ready for dove season...

Gotta love it!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:59:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy him ammo? Buy him a thrower and a lifetime supply of clays!

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Arfcom Gunfest 2005 shoot?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Arfcom Gunfest 2005 shoot?

Quick, someone call him and ask if he would like to host it in his yard this weekend...

I'd pay $500 just to watch the press freak out...   Can I bring my BAR?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#11]
What's a "Secrete Service?"
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:06:06 AM EDT
[#12]
On the news last night:

"It's just like company, if your brother in law was over for 5 days, wouldn't he start to stink?"

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I was thinking somebody ought to bring out some MGs and Tannerite.  I'll bet he'd have a good ole time with that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:09:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Group buy on 12ga. shells?  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:27:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Fuck it, I'll drive! The super duty can haul five and a whole bunch of shit in the back.

When do we leave?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#16]
CAMPED OUT IN CRAWFORD
Man defends firing shots near Bush protesters
'I just want 'em to pack their damn tents and go back to where they came from'
Posted: August 14, 2005
7:35 p.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Larry Mattlage of Crawford, Texas, fired shots on his property near anti-war activists hoping to meet President Bush (courtesy: Lone Star Iconoclast)

Shots were fired today near the vigil of Cindy Sheehan and anti-war protesters who are demanding a face-to-face meeting with President Bush.

No one was injured, as the shots were fired by Larry Matlage, a neighbor of the president who is apparently upset with the length of time the anti-war activists are staying in the area.

"I got a right to fire up in the air," Mattlage said. "I am getting ready for dove season and you all are messing up my dove huntin', so if you all could please leave and go somewhere else, this whole community would be behind you."

The incident occurred after 10 a.m., as anti-Bush activists were planning their schedule for the remainder of the day.

"As I walked to my car to car to call the office with an update, I heard a popping sound," said Deborah Mathews, a reporter for the Lone Star Iconoclast. "When I turned around, I saw a man with a shotgun aimed upward. He looked over his shoulder and then back and fired more shots. Even though I was only about 20 feet from him, it took seeing him with the gun to realize what I was hearing. He put the gun into the cab of the pickup and walked back to his house without saying anything.

"He fired the gun from inside his fenceline – well within his property ... which is across to the east of Camp Casey. He did not fire anywhere but into the sky, away from the camp."

Roberts reports Mattlage met with Secret Service agents and the local sheriff, and no charges were filed in connection with the incident.

News media await Larry Mattlage of Crawford, Texas, who discusses his firing of shots on his property near President Bush's ranch (courtesy: Lone Star Iconoclast)

After Mattlage was interviewed by authorities, she recorded a conversation she had with Mattlage to find out more about the reasons for shooting:

Reporter: Larry, why did you shoot the gun?

Mattlage: Well, I'm getting ready for dove season and you all are still gonna' be here, I'm practicin'.

Reporter: Was there another message involved in the gunshot?

Mattlage: You figure it out for yourself.

Reporter: Are there any laws ...

Mattlage: No, in Texas, you can shoot ... I ain't threating nobody. I ain't pointing a gun at nobody. This is Texas.

Reporter: What do you want them to do Larry?

Mattlage: Well these people don't know what to do (pointing at the sheriff and the Secret Service)

Reporter: What do you want them to do?

Mattlage: When they first came out here, I was sympathetic to their cause, right. They as American citizens have a right to march to protest. It is like this – it's like having company, if you have your brother-in-law at your house for five days, wouldn't it start stinking after a while. You are ready for him to go home, aren't you? Five weeks of this is too much. We live here. It's our community. Apparently we have no respect over here and we have no respect over here. Somebody has got to get together and clear it out. It's a damn shame. The news media has got to solve this dilemma. But we got a dilemma here. We got a battle of the porta-potties. You all got started out going to the bathroom in a five-gallon bucket. Then they moved one porta-potty in here. No we got two porta-potties. And now we have three and if this keeps up, it will be all the way down the road. And they've got more porta-potties over there (pointing at the Bush ranch). The only one winning here is the one cleaning the porta-potties.

Cindy Sheehan

Several hundred anti-war activists have descended on Crawford to Texas to join Cindy Sheehan, the California woman who is demanding a second personal meeting with the president to demand answers regarding the ongoing war in Iraq, a conflict which killed her son, Casey Sheehan, five days after his arrival last year in Baghdad.

The activists have posted some 500 white wooden crosses on the road to Bush's ranch, each with the name of a U.S. soldier killed in Iraq.

"I loved them for a week," Mattlage said of the protesters. "I mean, would you want somebody invading your house for a long time and blocking your view and blocking the road? I wake up every morning to this stuff. ... I just want 'em to pack their damn tents and go back to where they came from. Their plea is over with."

When McLennan County Sheriff Larry Lynch was asked about the shooting, he told reporters Mattlege was not breaking any law.

"He's on his own property," Lynch said. "He's getting ready for dove season."
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#17]
They can protest all they want  but he has every right to get them the fuck off his land.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:48:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Mattlage's gun play, although legal in Texas, did get him a visit from Secrete Service and local sheriff deputies. (AP Photo/LM Otero)

Probably wanted to make sure he was using the correct choke.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

They worked for Clinton.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't mess with a man's dove hunting.
I wonder if he'd consider opening up his place as a day lease?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:18:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They worked for Clinton.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Just do a controlled "Burn" to get rid of the grass and weeds and whatever else is there
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#23]

The only one winning here is the one cleaning the porta-potties.

The porta-potty biz is booming!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#24]
My solution is to get all the neighbors together for a rattlesnake hunt, the dump them all neat the hippy camp.  I do feel a little badly for the snakes through.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Seriously, if anyone can get his address we need to FEDEX him a box of shells........anyone wants to head this up let me know, I'll paypal ya $5 to help cover the cost. Be nice, a box shows up from AR15.com.........haha.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#26]
don't think there are any issues with him opening his land up for day leases, but he might be liable if some of the dove are shot over the neighbors property.

having a shooting event there is another issue, pretty sure gun ranges need to be licensed - and that is a pain, and takes forever.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd set up a bar-b-q pit and cook some brisket (probably pork if at home, but it's Tx, we must observe the proprieties). Half of 'em must be vegans and would flee. The rest would find it impossible to concentrate with that heavenly aroma wafting over them.

ETA: also consider what they did to Noriega- set up loudspeakers and blast them with patriotic music.

Legend of the Green Berets, God Bless America, Again.......

Larry has a golden opportunity, here.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:34:51 AM EDT
[#28]

I love the sheriff's quote.  Pure gold.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Just do a controlled "Burn" to get rid of the grass and weeds and whatever else is there

Shit thats a great idea , one of those semi controled road side weed burnin deals where the farmer goes out there with his little hand held "fire squirter" . Start way down and start moving their way . sorry comin throu make way . RL
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

For those who have trouble "oozing" on their own. For a fee, the Secrete Service will come out and give you a little squeeze.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#33]
are there any arfcommers part of the counter-protest?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Group buy on a 500-rnd value pack of shotgun shells and about 25 pounds of tannerite?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like we need to have a Texas ARFCOM meet down there. A little submachinegun and belt fed fire should clear out the hippies.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd be willing to go.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

They must be the President's French bodyguards.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They worked for Clinton.

Ah, ya pretty much beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Seriously, if anyone can get his address we need to FEDEX him a box of shells........anyone wants to head this up let me know, I'll paypal ya $5 to help cover the cost. Be nice, a box shows up from AR15.com.........haha.....

That, and login info for his new Bronze membership?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#40]
He should use bird scare bombs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
On the news this morning in an interview he said he was "testing" his shotgun to get ready for dove season...

Gotta love it!

He needs to 'test' his shotgun at night, and early morning...just to be sure.

Yeah, because, you know, the Aimpoint on my trench gun is forever getting off.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Goddam hippies....they got a class four drum circle forming out there.  

Somebody throw them some doobies and guitars to distract them while we re-supply Mr. Mattlage.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Sounds like we need to have a Texas ARFCOM meet down there. A little submachinegun and belt fed fire should clear out the hippies.

Just pack for zombies and underestimate their numbers by about thirty.  That should tell you about how much ammo to bring.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Goddam hippies....they got a class four drum circle forming out there.  

Somebody throw them some doobies and guitars to distract them while we re-supply Mr. Mattlage.

I'm pretty sure that fuckin' Matthew McConaughey's already taken care of that...........

On the one hand, I'd hate to do it, but DoubleFeed........ talk to Willie and see if he'd be willin' to let us sacrifice him to the seven-headed beast.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

+2.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Somebody post his address, I'll mail a box of shells tommorrow....seriously.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#47]

When McLennan County Sheriff Larry Lynch was asked about the shooting, he told reporters Mattlege was not breaking any law.

I think the giant BBQ idea is pretty good.  Better yet, slaughter and butcher right there in front of the protesters before the BBQ.  Make sure to offer some BBQ to the Secret Service guys and the Sheriff too
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Found a phone number, address and email.  But I know its not right to just post it though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top