Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2005 12:34:53 AM EDT
Second time this has happened in about 4 months.  First time back door was jimmied open, this time front door was open no damage.  Nothing missing either time.  Here's the sitrep.  We got home after a weekend visiting my parents and I had my Smith and Wesson with 3 mags loaded with Ranger jhps.  I also have my protection trained german shepherd foaming at the mouth to get in the house knowing something was wrong.  I let him in the house following at a distance with my weapon drawn.  After a through search I found nothing missing or damaged nor any evidence of anyone having been in the house.  My wife called 911 before I entered and I cleared the house and had the truck unloaded and the dogs fed before anyone showed up.  Anyway, did I do the right thing, and if not, what should I have done?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You should buy security cameras!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Not leave home after the first time, maybe?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
protection trained German Sheperd? Nice touch I like that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy better locks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Buy better locks.

And suspect the neighbors.  They know your habits.  They know what it looks like when you are leaving the neighborhood for a few days.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:44:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I have good locks on the front door.  The back door is glass so it wouldn't matter.  And the choice of house is not mine.  I moved into my wife's house when we got married.  There are several other reasons I wouldn't have chosen it but we're stuck in a lease now.  The dog is around as my back up for when I'm not home and I want someone else in front of my family should someone try anything.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Buy better locks.

And suspect the neighbors.  They know your habits.  They know what it looks like when you are leaving the neighborhood for a few days.

I do have one set of crackhead neighbors that the world would be better off without.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:46:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Clearing the house yourself might not be such a good idea...let the po-po do that for ya.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Clearing the house yourself might not be such a good idea...let the po-po do that for ya.

thats the thing though.  My wife called it in as a home break in with the possibility of someone being in the house.    One officers showed up, exactly 22 minutes after the 911 call.  She didn't card me, she didn't look at the door, she didn't get out of her car and left after about a minute because of the mosquitos (she told me)  I could have been the person in the house and done killed the 911 caller easily.  Inept does NOT begin to describe the PD here.  (not to mention our new chief will not sign class 3's for anyone for any reason)  Unlike most PD's they are not busy, they are not overworked.  There is no excuse for what she did.  Excuse me, for what she didn't do.  I wouldn't rely on them to start their car's 9 out of 10 times.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry your local LEO's are inept. But clearing one's own home is way too big a risk. Dog or no, you could be jumped and killed. If you local LEO response is 20 minutes, retreat to a safe location and let the cops do their job. I wouldn't risk my life or the ones I love by walking through my home when it's been compromised. Sorry if that sounds pussified, but internet keyboard commando-ism has no place in real life. Glad you and yours are safe.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:12:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Thing is, I don't believe she would have cleared it as effectivly as I did if at all.  Yeah it is dangerous.  No question about that.  The first time it happened, it was a saturday night not a sunday night and 3 swat officers showed up and cleared it pretty good.  They even went in my attic and actually seemed like they like a chance to practice room clearing in the real world.  This girl tonight acted like it was an annoyance to have to turn on her spotlight.  She sure as hell wasn't going to do any work.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#12]
You'll probably get pictures in the mail next week showing someone jacking off on your pillows and rubbing your toothbrushes on their asshole.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:19:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Probably.  well not the toothbrushes, they were with me lol
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#14]
You got ghosts.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah, let's just let Big Brother do everything for us.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:26:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

What, are cops bulletproof?

Besides, he knows his house better than any cop
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's another thing,  Do I really want the local cops seeing the laser sighted bb gun that atf agents lurking on the board told them I had?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:01:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Dusty you did good bro, F da cops. Get rid of the generic store bought locks though. I know you said you had good locks but I'm sure they are either Schlage or Kwikset. Get a doubled sided deadbolt for the glass door and a new deadbolt for the front door. Get either Multlock or Medeco nothing else will do!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Dusty you did good bro, F da cops. Get rid of the generic store bought locks though. I know you said you had good locks but I'm sure they are either Schlage or Kwikset. Get a doubled sided deadbolt for the glass door and a new deadbolt for the front door. Get either Multlock or Medeco nothing else will do!!!

LOL we do have a double sided deadbolt for the back door.  Until I moved in Randa kept a key in the inside of it.  DUH! I don't know what brand they are but I know walmart doesn't carry the key blanks for it. And they have them schlage and kwik set.  My step dad does apt maintanence and I asked him to get me some good ones and put them in and he did.  Wife had to go to a lock smith to get copies made for me when I moved in.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:07:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I honestly think I'd be more concerned about the fact that your home has been broken into and nothing stolen either time. That's just plain creepy. At least if you found your home had been broken into and the tv was missing, you could at least determine what the purpose for the breaking/entering was for. As things stand, it doesn't make sense.

Hopefully it's something simple....like your neighbor's teen son who busts in to bang his g/f in privacy, knowing you're away.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I honestly think I'd be more concerned about the fact that your home has been broken into and nothing stolen either time. That's just plain creepy. At least if you found your home had been broken into and the tv was missing, you could at least determine what the purpose for the breaking/entering was for. As things stand, it doesn't make sense.

Hopefully it's something simple....like your neighbor's teen son who busts in to bang his g/f in privacy, knowing you're away.

That does bother me.  What I think it is is kinda off the wall.  My wife is a therapist and some of her patients found out where we lived.  I think they are breaking in looking for meds.  You'd think though that if that was it, they'd take shit to sell to get drugs.  But I dunno.  It is creepy as shit but I don't know what to make of it. And as long as nothing is missing or damaged the pd won't take a report.  I think I'm going to set up a camera to find out wtf it is.  That and I'm going to make a show of packing the jeep and us leaving then have my wife drop me off a couple of blocks over, sneak back over the fence's, and wait with a leather sap in one hand and my smith in the other.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:31:02 AM EDT
[#22]
With nothing being missing... It means there was some other reason for the break in.  Definatly go over that place looking for anything out of place.  Stuff didn't leave but maybe some new stuff came in...

This is when it pays to be a little paranoid.  

How open was the front door?  wide open, slightly open, just unlocked
If some one were placeing something inside perhaps your return interupted them hence the open door...

Any way definatly cause for concern.  You did good.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:38:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I dunno. This week I'm going to start packing for our move (fuck the lease I know how to get out of leases penalty free)  we're getting out of this 'hood.  I know it happens in good 'hoods to but at least snobby loaded neighbors are nosey and may be able to help.  My neighbors are so scared they wouldn't make an anonymous 911 call if they saw them breaking in.  Pussies.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:00:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The dog is around as my back up for when I'm not home and I want someone else in front of my family should someone try anything.

Good looking dog!  Sheps are the best.

G45
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:02:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:22:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Underwear thief

Get alarm and gun vault.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:24:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

+1.  

funk dat, call the folks that get paid to do that if me and mine aren't in any danger.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:25:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:39:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Sounds to me like time for an ambush. Pack up the car like you are leaving for a few days and send the wife driving off with a dummy of you in the passenger seat. While she stays in a hotel room across town, you set in the dark with an AR and the dog and wait for your "guests" to arrive.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:55:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Had a similar situation happen. I called the police who cleared the house. I had my family with me and didn;t want to leave them alone. I put in an ADT system last week. Not perfect but good enough to stop a kid or a crack head.

You may want to consider that something may have been placed in your house. Have it swept for bugs .

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:06:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Another vote for letting the police do their job (if you had run into someone and had to shoot them you might well be screwed when it came to trial - hard to claim self-defense when you knew something was wrong but went in anyway)

(Yes, I would be pissed too and would want to see who the hell broke into my house, but gotta play by the rules)

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:09:24 AM EDT
[#32]
+1 on the Panty Thief. We got broken into several times with the last time all my wifes lingiere was on the bed.

Neighbor had access to the keys to my Base Housing unit (all of them for that matter). My wife and I armed ourselves. She (5'0" 98lbs) caught him (6'4" 225) leering at her while she sat in the backyard one day. A face full of .38 muzzel solved his obsession with her panties. Yup he called the police, They also suspected him, and they said "We don't think she would do such a thing" Couple a months later he got busted for semen on his 8 year old daughters nighty.

I'd be very worried about someone who breaks in and takes nothing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:10:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:27:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like you were subjected to a Patriot Act sneak-and-peek search.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:58:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I dunno, I'd feel pretty confidant letting that wolf clear my house!

OR mine:

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:04:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Check your attic. the cameras will be small, and the recorder or transmitter will be in the top eve. Seriously look for a peeping tom. Get a game camera. Install dead bolts that take a key. Pretend to leave for the weekend, sneak back thru the woods, and bag the fu&^%r
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Check your attic. the cameras will be small, and the recorder or transmitter will be in the top eve. Seriously look for a peeping tom. Get a game camera. Install dead bolts that take a key. Pretend to leave for the weekend, sneak back thru the woods, and bag the fu&^%r

Yeah that's a possibility, too.  My money is still on silverware/toothbrushes on the asshole, and semen on the pillows, though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#38]
damn.. this hits home.. im just getting back from a 4 day trip..

scary..

i did however check in everynow and then via my webcams...

if your interested this is what I use to "monitor" my place...

free home "monitoring"

they want 79 bucks for it.. when the trail  runs out.. it will simply let you keep using it..

you can have 10 cams hooked up ...

i was just in mexico and would check in .. would look at the front door .. keep an eye on my tahoe .. yeah.. i know i cant really do anything .. if i see something.. but I can call someone right away to go check it out...

hope this helps someone..

sometimes i park befoe geting home and log in with my PDA phone and look thru my place before driving up.... just cause i can.....    and its free...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Aren't you the union guy? Or was that someone else?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I would sweep the house for hidden electronics.  Some freak may be getting a kick out of watching your wife in the bathroom/bedroom.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#41]
I have had this happen twice... Both times we forgot to close the back door and left via the front (or vice versa). I swept the house anyway.

Besides if you call the cops they'll just whack your dog! Hasn't Arfcom taught you anything???  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Security system and double keyed dead bolts.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Second time this has happened in about 4 months.  First time back door was jimmied open, this time front door was open no damage.  Nothing missing either time.  Here's the sitrep.  We got home after a weekend visiting my parents and I had my Smith and Wesson with 3 mags loaded with Ranger jhps.  I also have my protection trained german shepherd foaming at the mouth to get in the house knowing something was wrong.  I let him in the house following at a distance with my weapon drawn.  After a through search I found nothing missing or damaged nor any evidence of anyone having been in the house.  My wife called 911 before I entered and I cleared the house and had the truck unloaded and the dogs fed before anyone showed up.  Anyway, did I do the right thing, and if not, what should I have done?

If you're really worried, do an electronics sweep of your house.  the intruders might not have taken anything, but they may have left cameria/mics.    

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats the thing though.  My wife called it in as a home break in with the possibility of someone being in the house.    One officers showed up, exactly 22 minutes after the 911 call.  She didn't card me, she didn't look at the door, she didn't get out of her car and left after about a minute because of the mosquitos (she told me)  I could have been the person in the house and done killed the 911 caller easily.  Inept does NOT begin to describe the PD here.  (not to mention our new chief will not sign class 3's for anyone for any reason)  Unlike most PD's they are not busy, they are not overworked.  There is no excuse for what she did.  Excuse me, for what she didn't do.  I wouldn't rely on them to start their car's 9 out of 10 times.  

Report the lazy bitch. If you clear yourself, clear in anticipation of multiples even if you find one solo, expect and act like there are others.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#45]
I suspect you may have a door that once in a while might not actually lock shut when you close the door.  At work I was told that I have left the door opend twice as  was the last one to leave the office.  I was certain I was locking and closing the door behing me as I walked out.

So I locked the office door and closed it and it locked.  So I repeated it about twenty times and sure enough in about 1 in twenty times the door wouldn't shut locked,but  just opened back up and the knob was locked.  In fact the harder I let the door slam the more likely it wouldn't lock shut.  Also, I had a neighbor that came home and her front door was opened.  Same thing after test slamming the door shut a few times it just opened back upl
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I suspect you may have a door that once in a while might not actually lock shut when you close the door.  At work I was told that I have left the door opend twice as  was the last one to leave the office.  I was certain I was locking and closing the door behing me as I walked out.

So I locked the office door and closed it and it locked.  So I repeated it about twenty times and sure enough in about 1 in twenty times the door wouldn't shut locked,but  just opened back up and the knob was locked.  In fact the harder I let the door slam the more likely it wouldn't lock shut.  Also, I had a neighbor that came home and her front door was opened.  Same thing after test slamming the door shut a few times it just opened back upl

APBullet said it nicely.  Close your dang door.  Yeah, you may have some technical peeping tom or you maybe forgot to close the door completely.  Hmmmm, which is more common.  

Then, OTOH, if your wife is a therapist , she may understand  your "needs" and how important it is for you to feel powerful and walk around the house with you gun drawn, looking  for the bad guys.  She had a friend unlock the door just before yall got home.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#47]

Make sure you shut the door next time you leave..
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#48]
That is a nice looking pooch you got there, Dusty_C!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
With nothing being missing... It means there was some other reason for the break in.  Definatly go over that place looking for anything out of place.  

Yup.

Identity theft ("fishing") break ins are all the rage now.  Keep close watch on your bills and accounts for any fraudulent activity!

NorCal
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ignore the .gov angle for a minute. Clearing a house is a team sport, not an individual competition. No one who knows what they're doing does it alone. (A good dog, however, does mitigate the situation pretty dramatically and I'm not slamming Dusty.) If you haven't had a chance to take a good class on the subject yet, just try this; Give your kids rubber band guns or dart guns, and play "hide and seek" with them, with their goal being to shoot you first. See how well it works for you. If you do have any real training and experience in the subject, I can't comprehend why you'd be advocating structure clearing alone.

As a society, we spend our tax dollars in part to have professionals available to handle certain tasks. The idea of not utilizing that resource simply because it's tax funded is just plain silly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top