Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2001 6:48:40 AM EDT
Just wondering if there was such a thing as a bull barrel that was chrome lined?  

I realize the oddity (and even the silliness) of such a question, but as Indigo Mantoya says on The Princess Bride, "I must know!"

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes/no?

Is a SAW barrel bull and chrome lined.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#2]
SAW acronym = ?

I guess I should mention that I'm inquiring about a chrome lined bull barrel for an AR-15.  

[:)]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh.

Never mind.  [:I]

SAW= Squad Automatic Weapon, M249.

It's a 5.56 mm NATO machine gun.

The Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW), or 5.56mm M249 is an individually portable, gas operated, magazine or disintegrating metallic link-belt fed, light machine gun with fixed headspace and quick change barrel feature. The M249 engages point targets out to 800 meters, firing the improved NATO standard 5.56mm cartridge.
The SAW forms the basis of firepower for the fire team. The gunner has the option of using 30-round M16 magazines or linked ammunition from pre-loaded 200-round plastic magazines. The gunner's basic load is 600 rounds of linked ammunition.

Not exactly compatible with an AR-15 lower.

Maybe it (the barrel) could be reworked to fit an AR-15 upper.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the definition of SAW.  :)

I'm just a little surprised that Bushmaster has never come out with a bull barrel like pretty much everyone else has.  

Okay, I guess such a thing doesn't exist.  

[:(]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#5]
A bull barrel would be a target or varmint gun barrel.

Chrome lined barrel are less accurate than similiar steel or stainless barrels.

kinda like buyin' a target trigger with a 10 lb. pull.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Bull barrels like NoAr said are usually target or varmint.  Chrome-lined barrels are usually more for durability and reliability(chamber) than anything else.  The first M16s were not lined and had serious problems when first fielded in Vietnam. The cases would swell and stick in the chambers.  Also bad training and troops not familiar with the weapon also contributed to the failures. They tend to be less accurate then non-lined barrels.  So it would defeat the purpose of having a bull barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top