Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 9:01:05 PM EDT
I was shooting my new HK tactical and it was shooting these HUGE groups.  I mean like 1-2 feet at 15 yards.  So I was getting pissed considering how much I paid for this thing.  Regardless of ammo, it was giving me the same result.  

Then I remembered the thread protector that I bought from CCFA.  I took that off and the groups tightened up right away.  Its amazing how a little metal can change the barrel harmonics enough to screw up accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe rounds were striking the protector somehow?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I dont think so. The protector fits over the threads and dont overhang at all over the opening of the barrel.  It also doesnt touch the slide.  But I am quite impressed how it shot after the thing was off.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I don't remember where I read that, but I think it is common. Or at least others have had the same problem. I saw some pics of strikes. Not major, but little nicks.
I sold my TAC a while back, but without the protector it was pretty accurate. Certainly more than 1-2' groups you were talking about. I did have a protector for it though, cuz it was damn sexy with it on!

ETA, my protector came from CCFA, and I don't think I ever had a strike. I know there are more model available now. I had mine about 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a hard time believeing harmonics could possibly have this much effect on accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a hard time believeing harmonics could possibly have this much effect on accuracy.

I may have exaggerated some, but the group sizes were significantly different in size.  With the same ammo and same shooter.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm wondering if a piece of heat resistant rubber tube over the threads might work?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm wondering if a piece of heat resistant rubber tube over the threads might work?

It does have those rubber washers on the barrel already.  So something of the same material should work.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It does have those rubber washers O-rings on the barrel already.  So something of the same material should work.

fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I may have exaggerated some, but the group sizes were significantly different in size.  With the same ammo and same shooter.  

Could it have possibly just been loose?

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could it have possibly just been loose?

Thats possible. It does have funky reverse threads.  But I did tighten it because I was afraid it would get loose and snag a round.

I did see a PIC of a dude that did do that with a HK91.  His FH was missing that little retaining spring.  He didnt use lock tight or anything to secure it.  As he shot and the barrel warmed up, the FH worked loose.  It snagged a 308 and ruined the front of the barrel.  Shitty way to mess up a HK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top